47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I found most of the games puzzles to be pretty hard. I'm easily stumped. I think you've just played too many adventure games and become way too used to the formula.

• A quick glance at the Help forum shows plenty of people found parts of the games difficult. Everyone's mileage will vary.

• Tales wasn't particularly difficult, but then again so aren't most of the other recent adventure games either. It had few puzzles which took longer time to figure out. Previous Monkey games weren't particularly difficult either.

In some old adventure games I usually got stuck because:

A) Puzzles were badly designed and I had to try to use everything to everything to solve those puzzles. Even after solving them the puzzles didn't make sense.

B) I had missed some object or hotspot, because game didn't change the look of the cursor when it was over hotspot.

C) Deadend. I had done something wrong two hours ago and couldn't go past certain point because of that.

• Tales was designed to cater for newcomers aswell. People just don't have the attentions spans they used too. I personally liked the difficulty, although i would have loved an unlockable extra difficulty setting (a few extra puzzles), to add to replayability.

• The difficulty was fine imo.
    Although it would be cool if season 2 (when/if it gets greenlitted) gets the classic "Mega Monkey Mode" from Curse Of Monkey Island (I think MI2 also had a higher difficulty mode).

• @Ashton said: ... Use the Weather vane on the idol (top?) and it will spin to show you the face... I missed it too on the first idol.

They meant the one with the Marquis de Singe. That you solve with sounds, not a visual.

I found the game easy, too. I played Tales and Sam & Max Season 2 at the same time, and Tales was definitely easier.
    I got stuck a few times, but never for long. The last episode I just did in one go without getting stuck, same with episode 2. Episode 4 I was stuck only once at the part you mentioned. 1 and 3 I think took a bit longer, but 1 was monstly due to the time it took me just to go from one place to the next (I hadn't figured out you could run yet).

I'm not usually great at adventure games. I get stuck for days and days. I can't think of any game I haven't been stuck in several place. So I don't think it's that I'm "too good" or whatever. I do think it was simpler. However, it might be due to it being the first MI game Tales did.
    It's also possible that it's due to different people thinking of different things. My husband is playing Sam&Max 2 right now, and he's figuring out stuff that took me ages in no time, but is stuck on stuff I never even realised were supposed to be puzzles since they were so obvious to me. So it definitely varies some for one person to the next.
    (This being said, what changes there is /where/ we get stuck, not /whether/ we get stuck).

• @avistew said:

I found the game easy, too. I played Tales and Sam & Max Season 2 at the same time, and Tales was definitely easier.

THAT~ may be caused by the bizarre-ness of Sam and Max, and not the other way around.

• Hmm… I found Tales of Monkey Island to be easier than the older Monkey Island games. I think it was largely due to the chapter format and the 15 item inventory limit. With the limited locations and items in each part, you weren’t likely to have many items that were no longer useful or that you wouldn’t need for a long time.

I’d usually get stuck on some things and look for walkthroughs on the older games. But in Tales, the only place where I really got stuck and needed to check a walkthrough was for some of the Feast of the Senses items in Chapter 4.

I wouldn’t have minded if it was a little bit harder but I thought the difficulty level was okay. It was nice to be able to make it through most of the game without looking for hints.

• @avistew said: They meant the one with the Marquis de Singe. That you solve with sounds, not a visual.

Huh?
    I don't know how you solved it, but I used the weather device (just not on the machine like the others) and inserted the signs that were showing at that moment. As all others in this thread apparently... I would like to know how you could have done it on "sound"
    Yeah. Throughout the whole game I only had to look up a walkthrough once, lowest ever in an adventure game (I am not good at them...)

Add Comment