47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Hassat Hunter said: Huh?
    I don't know how you solved it, but I used the weather device (just not on the machine like the others) and inserted the signs that were showing at that moment. As all others in this thread apparently... I would like to know how you could have done it on "sound"

Well, you complicated your life.
    If you turn the wheel, the Marquis makes noises. Noises of pain if it's the wrong feature, moanings of... pleasure if it's the right one. So you don't need the wind thingie at all for the last idol, and I don't think they even meant for people to solve it the way you did.

• @avistew said: Well, you complicated your life.
    If you turn the wheel, the Marquis makes noises. Noises of pain if it's the wrong feature, moanings of... pleasure if it's the right one. So you don't need the wind thingie at all for the last idol, and I don't think they even meant for people to solve it the way you did.

I think it may just be an alternate way to solve hte puzzle. Though I agree it should have been based on the Doc's pain/pleasure only (of cocurse some of us likely would never have figured it out --- or atleast taken a LOT longer if that was the only method)

• @jp-30 said: A quick glance at the Help forum shows plenty of people found parts of the games difficult. Everyone's mileage will vary.

That's not true:
    to really have a fair percentage of people who found it difficult you have to do:

[(total number of people who ask help / total number of people who bought the game)*100]

If even 100 people asked help but they sold 100,000 copies, it would be only 0.1% of people who found the game difficult.
    But given that TT never gave the numbers of sold copies, we'll never know. :p

BTW I found the chapters 2, 3 & 5 easy too. Stemmle was a genious in chapter 1 & 4, he found the perfect difficulty to me.

• I also found them pretty simple which made every episode lasting no longer than some hours for me. That is also because I couldn't stop playing once I had installed a new chapter, of course. :D

It's hard to say whether the difficulty was moderate or not, seeing there are adventure veterans in here as well as newbies.

I think what really "helped" making the puzzles look easier was the fact that there was little items in the scenes that you could interact with but had otherwise no use to the solution to a puzzle itself.
    Thinking of Monkey Island 2, which, I think most will agree, had one of the most complex puzzle styles ever, Tales hardly ever misled you or had you standing in a new place spending the first 30 minutes or so to find out what you could actually pick up or combine as there would be a) so many clickable things around you and b) so many stuff in your inventory (just think of the Antique Shop in MI 2 as a comparison!)

Plus, the simplified"click to interact" interface really made things a little too easy for us. That's how I see it.

• I agree, while some older games had really too many verbs: `pull', `push', `give', `use'... the tales went too far in the other direction.

• Telltale's games have all been on the easy side compared to most other adventure games and I was against this at first, but I've come to realise that the puzzles aren't the most important part of a good game. The story, writing, music and atmosphere in their games outdo almost all contemporary adventures. And we get a broader audience for the genre as well, which is hardly a bad thing.

I wouldn't mind some more difficult puzzles - my favourite Tales episode was the fourth one partly because of this - but TTG seems to be more or less happy with their current design formula so I'm not sure it could happen. I'm staying a loyal fanboy either way. :p

• @ezzetabi said: I agree, while some older games had really too many verbs: `pull', `push', `give', `use'... the tales went too far in the other direction.

I'd agree with this to, the Verb Coin style used for Curse and Full Throttle seems a nice balance between them both, plus you got funny comments when you tried to make Guybrush Talk to or lick objects. :D

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

I agree on "the coin is a nice compromise" however I'm reluctant to hear
    "I won't put my lips on that" or "No!". After awhile it will get old and tired (plus that mechanic combined with point and drag... probably not good)

I'd like a "simple" (in my eyes at least) change: extend the "Examine" action to be available globally (not just for the inventory)

So you'd have "Interact" (Talk, use using the standard click) and "Examine"

I'll repeat myself from another post/thread just to give an example:

Examine Elaine->Guybrush: "My plunder bunny - tied up"
    Examine Elaine->Guybrush: "She doesn't look happy tied up like that"
    Examine Elaine->Guybrush: "I'd better untie her soon"
    Action on Elaine (Click)->Guybrush talks to Elaine

• Wow some great replies here, food for thought, nothing to add though but thanks for interesting read.

• @Bloody Eugene said: That's not true:
    to really have a fair percentage of people who found it difficult you have to do:

[(total number of people who ask help / total number of people who bought the game)*100]

If even 100 people asked help but they sold 100,000 copies, it would be only 0.1% of people who found the game difficult.
    But given that TT never gave the numbers of sold copies, we'll never know. :p

Your strawman logic is flawed because you are assuming every single person who needed help / found it difficult would have posted in the help forum, which is clearly nonsense.

Add Comment