User Avatar Image

Trying for intelligent conversation? The Path

posted by Plunder_Bunny on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Hello all my Tell Tale forum friends, enemies, and people who otherwise don't care. I was hoping to have an analytical conversation about the Path, a game by Tale of Tales, which is a bizarre little game basically about Little Red Ridding Hood. If you haven't played it, you can buy and download it for 10 bucks on the Tale of Tales website. It is definitely worth a play.

To start off the conversation, I have a burning question to ask of you all:
Do you think the Grandmother is dead from the beginning of the game? (Yes this game is dark and goth)

64 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I would love to see that comic! Send me a link when you have it up. :)

I think that maybe the Path is actually successful as an art piece much in the same way DuChamp's "fountain" is. Yes it is a urinal on a pedestal which some eccentric guy claim is art, but it got the attention from both extremes of like and dislike. Now I personally think the DuChamp was making fun of the artists of the time, and while we know that Tale of Tales tells us the Path is art, it is indeed possible that they are making fun of us gamers. We have now entered the fuzzy realm of what constitutes as art. Good lord, that is a head ache in a can of spam. Do we want to open the can of spam?

• @ShaggE said: Might I add, I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. The acting is dire, and some of the logic is questionable at best, but it's definitely the type of story that sticks with you.

EDIT: I recommend reading the source material first, as the game acts as a sequel.

Not exactly; it's more like an alternate universe/take on things, kinda like a gaiden game. If you fail miserably at the game, though, it ends in much the same way as in the original novella.

A lot of the "artistic" element to IHNMAIMS (much easier to write, far harder to pronounce) is simply that Cyberdreams worked side by side with the original author of the novella to create this version of his work. The game as a whole primarily spawned from a simple question: why does AM choose these particular five people to torture?

Say what you will about the acting, but you can't fault AM's voice - it's Harlan Ellison himself, after all. If you can't find this game anywhere else, Ellison has copies for sale via his website.

• @Plunder Bunny

Sorry! I was gone for a while, because the first week of classes can be pretty hectic. Here's that silly comic since you were interested.

I Have No Gameplay and I Must Scream (Be aware for those who want to play The Path, this has SPOILERS.)

• Pecan, that was brilliant! I think it could also be called, "The Path in one Page". Even though I enjoy the literary and "artistic" aspects of the game, I can definitely relate to you on the game play end. Good luck with your classes! I start my professor training next week. =D

• Well, I bought the Path. That Granny graveyard-thing looks interesting.
    I bought it for two reasons:

1. I am really curious how one little game can generate controversial talks about...what appears to be, nothing! :)
    2. I make movies... atmosphere and eerie sounds are right up my alley, so at least I know I paid 8 euros for, hopefuly, an "inspirational environment".

Wish me luck!

• Sorry for double post...

I just played the Path. Well, one girl. I have this weeeeird sensation that these are the worst 8 euros I've spent in my entire life and I can't stop laughing!
    The speed is killing me.... maybe if the girls would run faster, yeah...that would be entertaining... but the speed, man... the speed!

I downloaded the trial version of The Graveyard. It was actually beautiful, really. But it totally cracked me up when I saw videos on youtube with SPEEDRUN! Hahaha! Oh man... it's...

Well, that's a lesson I learned today... Not all weird and uknown games are actually good! I prefered the graveyard. But 5 dollars just to see the old lady die?? Just for a 5 second animation??? Dude!! .
    So... yeah... thanks for the info. Now I HAVE to play the path, just to make some good use of the money I spent.

• @Silverwolfpet said: Sorry for double post...

I just played the Path. Well, one girl. I have this weeeeird sensation that these are the worst 8 euros I've spent in my entire life and I can't stop laughing!
    The speed is killing me.... maybe if the girls would run faster, yeah...that would be entertaining... but the speed, man... the speed!

I downloaded the trial version of The Graveyard. It was actually beautiful, really. But it totally cracked me up when I saw videos on youtube with SPEEDRUN! Hahaha! Oh man... it's...

Well, that's a lesson I learned today... Not all weird and uknown games are actually good! I prefered the graveyard. But 5 dollars just to see the old lady die?? Just for a 5 second animation??? Dude!! .
    So... yeah... thanks for the info. Now I HAVE to play the path, just to make some good use of the money I spent.

Well at least you learned that, I spent the five dollars, and Tale Of Tales, is a great upcoming game company, but I feel they're are too artsy for me.

• @Silverwolfpet said: I am really curious how one little game can generate controversial talks about...what appears to be, nothing! :)

The only controversy I've heard is people ragging on The Graveyard for actually daring to charge for and slap "game" on it. I think it actually would have worked much better as a screensaver. Screensavers get no love nowadays. (Though it's weird because they did make their other free game, The Endless Forest, a screensaver, so what's the deal?) I feel the interactive aspect does absolutely nothing at all.

@Silverwolfpet said: Well, that's a lesson I learned today... Not all weird and uknown games are actually good! I prefered the graveyard. But 5 dollars just to see the old lady die?? Just for a 5 second animation??? Dude!! .

But it's ~*~*artistic~*~*!

• Silverpetwolf:

At least you got some form of entertainment from the Path. Aside from the lousy game play, did you at least enjoy the interpretations of little Red Riding Hood?

Maybe we should all team up and make a parody of The Path. Just for kicks!

Add Comment