User Avatar Image

I really hate Elaine in the ending sequence (SPOILER)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

She always has a plan????? What this plan was???
That's a bad screenplay joke, Telltale....
It ruins all the plot. :(

I don't even think that anyone at Telltale knows what plan she has on... it's just an bad excuse to create some suprise, but it totally fails....

If this is the help that Ron gave you about Elaine's role (as you said in an early interview)... better leave him home next time.

Another enigma to solve in the Monkey Island universe.... I'm getting bored with these tricks.

Being propositive: change the latest lines of the game and re-release an updated version, with longer and corrected ending sequence.

Bye!

133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • "You let them take it from you?! *red eyes* Didn't I tell you never to let it out of your siiiight?!" (says sight in a REALLY SCARY GROWL)

"But-"

"But me no buts, love of mine!"

It is indeed a great scene, I pretty much shot my face away from the monitor when she said that and my friend audibly said "OH SH**."

• @nikasaur said: According to This! there's a pretty good explanation from Stemmle:

That's pretty much how I interpreted Elaine's actions and reactions, I really don't get why people seem to think she's being a bitch. (if anything, she seems to have softened somewhat since Escape)

As fas as the issue with the trust belt goes, I'd agree that it plays into things by allowing LeChuck to interact with the people he formerly terrorised (i.e. the entire Caribbean) without them shunning/being terrified of him. After all, being turned human doesn't really excuse all his actions while being a ghost/zombie/demon. And I think the belt buckle may have been subtly influencing Elaine in that she was prepared to go along with LeChuck's plans to 're-home' the assorted monkeys without questioning why they had to be put in such specific places. (on a raft in the middle of the ocean? Really?)

Regarding the books in MI2, IIRC Elaine didn't write one about how she killed LeChuck, but she did write one about her then-failed relationship with Guybrush. There's also eight or so 'romance' novels in the catalogue written by a 'Melanie Leary', which is an anagram for Elaine Marley, but nothing about LeChuck. Guybrush on the other hand has written no less than four different books on how he defeated LeChuck. ('When/Why/How/Where I Blew Up LeChuck')

And not to go off topic, but I also don't see how Morgan would be better for Guybrush than Elaine. (and I love Morgan) Say what you like about Elaine, but she's never cut off his hand or sold him out to a mad scientist intending to dissect him...

ETA: Also, I agree with the 'Elaine only becomes LeChuck's demon bridge to get the Cursed Cutlass' theory. One of the first things she does upon being de-demonised is to try and hide it behind her back, like she's not wanting LeChuck to notice that she's still got it.

• @ttg_Stemmle said: LeChuck's Trust Belt is something that just sort of enhanced human LeChuck's natural charisma. Elaine likely never REALLY got sucked in by it, although she probably had undoubtedly had moments where her resolve was tested (Exhibit A: "Woof."). In other words, it's a bit of a puzzle device that also helps explain why everyone else in the Caribbean is willing to give Human LeChuck the time of day.

Thanks for answering, Mike!!!! :):):)
    So I guess the Voodoo Lady is lying when she says that Elaine has been driven by the belt. That would be no surprise, considering the Voodoo Lady isn't exactly reliable...

• she might not know elaine is ploting against her and assume the belt is why she was trusting lechuck

• @Jen Kollic said:

Regarding the books in MI2, IIRC Elaine didn't write one about how she killed LeChuck, but she did write one about her then-failed relationship with Guybrush. There's also eight or so 'romance' novels in the catalogue written by a 'Melanie Leary', which is an anagram for Elaine Marley, but nothing about LeChuck. Guybrush on the other hand has written no less than four different books on how he defeated LeChuck. ('When/Why/How/Where I Blew Up LeChuck')

Oh. I wasn't sure about Elaine taking credit for LeChuck in the books but I knew she written some stuff about her relationship with Guybrush. It's been awhile since I played MI2, but I do remember the gate guard to her mansion saying Elaine blew up LeChuck.

• @ttg_Stemmle said: LeChuck's Trust Belt is something that just sort of enhanced human LeChuck's natural charisma. Elaine likely never REALLY got sucked in by it, although she probably had undoubtedly had moments where her resolve was tested (Exhibit A: "Woof."). In other words, it's a bit of a puzzle device that also helps explain why everyone else in the Caribbean is willing to give Human LeChuck the time of day.

Elaine's handing Guybrush her ring is an interesting lil' plot point, innit? She had no idea that her hubby would be stuck in the afterlife, nor that the rules for getting out of the afterlife would neatly coincide with offering up said ring. And yet, she intuitively KNOWS to give it to him, and makes sure he keeps his hands on it, even AFTER she's fully f-ed up by the Pox (note how ticked she gets on the stand when Guybrush points out the ring on the evidence stand). She knows the ring is important, and does everything she can to reinforce its importance, even though she really can't have ANY idea WHY its important.

So how'd the idea get planted in her head, anyway?

Mike "Max is a funny little bunny" Stemmle

This has to finish with a "HA!"

• @Diduz said: Agreed. That's the only thing I had no problem with. It's clearly a brave "on-the-fly" decision, I really liked it. It's very welll explained in close-ups and Elaine's expressions. No problem in THAT scene. The problem is with her overall "I'll unmask the Voodoo Lady plan to Guybrush" plan, as I've already explained. ;)

I expect ethier a) "There is no ultimate Voodoo Lady plan" it all been created by Le Chuck most likely with that "Voodoo Belt", (Remember Le Chuck hates the Voodoo Lady a few words + the belt would make this happen) or b) She couldn't really prove it and without any proof there no point bringing it up to Guybush. BTW I am not sure but I think Elaine says that she don't trust the Voodoo Lady at lest once in one of the earlier parts (might even be in MI 1 or 2).
    As for "I LET you capture me and I PLAYED ALONG with your stupid nice guy act because I thought it would get Guybrush to realize that the Voodoo Lady-" it's party Le Chucks influence but it's also a way to save face to herself (don't want to believe that Le Chuck tricked her so turns the table to I trick Le Chuck instead), or it not refering to the events we though it was (IE the second capture not the first). Also Elaine expected Guybrush to comeback just because Le Chuck and Guybrush have already managed to (multiple times in the case of Le Chuck).

• +1

The whole "playing along with LeChuck so that you could realize [pffft] that the Voodoo Lady was behind everything" crapout also got to me :confused:

• It didn't bother me that much, to be honest. Elaine's been several steps ahead of the other characters since SoMI so it didn't seem so that she would be in ToMI. I don't really see it as her having this grand master plan so much as it is her seeing opportunities (LeChuck being human and becoming his demon bride after he announces that only someone with his powers can pick the Cutlass up, etc.) and attempting to utilize them to her advantage.

• [quote]"I LET you capture me and I PLAYED ALONG with your stupid nice guy act because I thought it would get Guybrush to realize that the Voodoo Lady-"[/quote]

Actually, Elaine's voice and subtitle say, "Look, I let you capture me and I played along with your stupid 'nice guy' act because I thought that it would get Guybrush to realize that the Voodoo Lady is--" [her voice ends with "the Voodoo Lady is--"]

Add Comment