User Avatar Image

Your LucasArts treasures (and Telltale, too)

posted by TheHutt on - last edited - Viewed by 712 users

Heya there,

Somehow the threads about the original packagings of old LEC games brought me to an idea:

What classic LucasArts (or Telltale) goodies do you own and is there a personal story behind them?

I think I'll just start:

Grim Fandango

Just as the demo came out, I knew I want this game bad. As it was way before online webshops, I had to go to a store in Cologne, Germany which imported English versions of games and got my copy there.

However, after I played this through, I got a German dubbed copy from a friend, and liked it as much as the original. So I went and got myself a German copy as well. Here are the pictures of the German packaging I took. Note that the German cd case was a simple Dual jewel case, not the cardboard packaging like the US version:

ca2508e2f68d.jpg93904972646f.jpg325d5ec3bd77.jpg

But there is more to it. Right at the time, the German LucasArts distributor from the old days, Softgold, made an online lottery with a chance to win some prizes - you had to write a poem about the Grim Fandango world. And in fact, I did win one of them. In fact, there were many of them:

- Poster of Grim Fandango (German language) - sadly, I don't think I still have it. It was a poster of the cover packshot.
- T-Shirt. In fact, I still have one of these, or even two. Even though they are both quite worn out, I still wear them. :)
- Demo/Trailer CD. This was some surprise for me, as the demo CD not only contained the German GF demo, but also a trailer for the game - entirely in German!

In fact, it was not until recently that I found this CD and managed to recode the trailer for the common viewing. So if you ever wondered why everybody likes the German localization of Grim Fandango, you can find out why. The German voices are just superb, and Manny Calavera is voiced by Tommy Piper, the German voice of Alf. This German trailer has become very rare since, so I was really glad I could find it.

08d57293d954.jpg
Watch the German GF trailer

The packaging of the demo was however quite standard - a cardboard box:

865086fe9ab7.jpg

Last but not least, the gift package from Softgold included this little treasure:

127eff69d944.jpg466fde692449.jpg
The Original Soundtrack. It was not until recently that I found out that this has become so extremely rare that it's worth over $100 on eBay. However, I'll never sell it.

84 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
Add Comment