User Avatar Image

Was SoMI: Special Edition really an improvement on the original after all?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 575 users

I personally loved the game. I thought that they improved Secret of Monkey Island in every aspect. But some people have had complaints about things like the interface being difficult to use, annoying and inconvenient, people saying the artwork was bad and that Guybrush looked awful, and then of course there are those who are really like the "blocky" look of the old, classic adventure games. So, how is your view on this? Was the Special Edition really all that much of an improvement?

148 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • My only gripes were:

The item menu. Only for the pour the grog while walking to jail to free Otis. I had to switch to old school mode to do it good.

Guybrush's face.

A future improvement should be to allow voices with the old art style.

• The game did feel about the same to me.

The pour the grog puzzle on the new interface was a big fat pain, otherwise i was ok with it.

Also i really wish we could of had the option to have the new voices and new music over the old visuals. I prefer the older visuals, it just looks more realistic and darker. If we gave monkey island 2 this cartoony flair i fear it would lose a lot of feeling to the game.

Did anyone notice the graphic glitch outside the scumm bar to the left on the dock walkway there is a point you can move to that puts guybrush standing over the sea making guybrush have levitation powers. In classic mode obviously there is ground at that point. Someone made a boo boo :P

• @SM_Unlimited said: The game did feel about the same to me.

The pour the grog puzzle on the new interface was a big fat pain, otherwise i was ok with it.

I didn't find the puzzle particularly difficult. With keyboard shortcuts pouring was rather easy to do.

• @LeChuck1986 said: My only gripes were:

The item menu. Only for the pour the grog while walking to jail to free Otis. I had to switch to old school mode to do it good.

Guybrush's face.

A future improvement should be to allow voices with the old art style.

Agreed on all fronts.

I voted that they're "about the same."

For me, it comes down to positives and negatives sort of balancing each other out between the two. When I compare the classic version to SE, I compare the combined SE and classic modes of the SE game to the older CD version of SMI on the "Monkey Island Madness" CD which I have, which has superior music to the diskette version, because of dialogue and visual changes made to classic mode on the SE game.

Special Edition has voice-acting by the cast of Curse, which is a positive, but they changed some of the dialogue a bit, which breaks my nostalgia when it happens: Classic: "Oooh, that's nice. Simple. Just like one of mine. And little. Like mine. And it says, 'Made by Lemonhead.' ...just like one of mine!" ; SE: "Oooh, that's nice. And it says, 'Made by Lemonhead.' ...just like one of mine!") To keep the voice acting in time with the classic mode of SE, the text dialogue of the classic mode on that version was also changed.

The music for SE utilizes recordings from real instruments, which is good, but the LeChuck Theme sounds better on the old version because the lead trombone part in the SE music seems to run the notes together in a few places, instead of a better, more defined sound from the classic CD audio format.

Perhaps, if I had never played the classic versions beforehand, it wouldn't bother me at all, but one could say the same about changing the sound effects of the Star Wars:SE movies.

Also, the visual style of SE is really very well done, but the color and density of the trees on the map view of Monkey Island in both modes of SE almost give me eye strain compared to the classic game which looks better. Then we come to Guybrush. Yes, he has a better and more updated look in SE mode, but his hair looks weird and he seems to always stick his pelvis out in front of him, a la Steve Urkel from Family Matters. I always thought Guybrush to be a bit of a nerd, but he was still cool enough and carried himself well enough to win the heart of Elaine Marley. In classic mode, he looks less overtly nerdy and I like that.

And finally, the Inventory and interface in SE can be annoying when you have to pull up the action menu really quickly, like LeChuck1986 pointed out with the grog-on-the-cell-door puzzle.

Some people complain about having to use Steam to run SMI:SE, but I don't have that issue because after I bought SE from Steam, I downloaded a torrented copy that doesn't use Steam at all. Some people might question the legality of this action, but I already own the game legitimately, so getting a cracked Steam-less copy from someone on the net doesn't sound wrong to me.

In summary, yes the voice acting is wonderful, the visuals are stunning, and it's a welcome return to Adventure gaming that hopefully will bring in new fans, but Guybrush doesn't look quite right and I wish the LeChuck music was better as well as having the exact same dialogue from the old version to keep from breaking the nostalgic feel of one who has played the game a dozen or more times.

• I voted that it was better in some ways because in some ways it was and in other ways it wasn't.

Voices and full musical score: better.

Close-ups: worse. Even Spiffy. (I love that blue dog...:()

Interface: Both.

In some ways it was nice to have the full screen taken up by the background.

In other ways it was annoying to be limited on the available interactions. Specifically regarding the inventory items the interactions were very constricting. I can't say I can think of a particular example where it was impacting, but I still liked having a full set of interactions available.

The puzzle with the grog and the mugs is terrible on the SE edition without using the shortcuts. I actually didn't even realize the XBLA version had shortcuts until someone else pointed out to me that the D-pad has shortcuts assigned to it.

In the original version (even on the XBLA old-skewl mode) I can do that puzzle with only 2 mugs. It makes me happy. The SE version just upsets me.

Oh and no offense to any of the voice actors, but some of the inflection just...really didn't seem to strike the way that I thought it should. Some of the lines seemed taken totally out of context in the way that they were said.

Oh and Guybrush's hair is just infuriating. The fact that LA thought that making his hair look like that just stands as testament that we must never allow LA to reclaim this series from us. TTG you've done us well...now make more already. :D

So it's better in some ways and worse in others. Overall it's nice to know that someone...somewhere...will meet Guybrush for the first time...and despite his foolish hair...will fall in love with this amazing series. :rolleyes:

• @monkey_05_06 said: Oh and no offense to any of the voice actors, but some of the inflection just...really didn't seem to strike the way that I thought it should. Some of the lines seemed taken totally out of context in the way that they were said.

Oh and Guybrush's hair is just infuriating. The fact that LA thought that making his hair look like that just stands as testament that we must never allow LA to reclaim this series from us. TTG you've done us well...now make more already. :D

So it's better in some ways and worse in others. Overall it's nice to know that someone...somewhere...will meet Guybrush for the first time...and despite his foolish hair...will fall in love with this amazing series. :rolleyes:

Amen. :)

Oh, and I agree about the dialogue inflections. I noticed Dominic Armato did mess up on that at least a couple of times:

Herman: "...if they want it back, I've got to have my picker
    first. It's a matter of pride, you know."
    Guybrush: "Why don't you just give me the key to the Monkey Head?"

Dominic emphasizes the word "give" instead of the word "me" which makes it sound like he read the line out of context.

• @Chyron8472 said: Amen. :)

Oh, and I agree about the dialogue inflections. I noticed Dominic Armato did mess up on that at least a couple of times:

Herman: "...if they want it back, I've got to have my picker
    first. It's a matter of pride, you know."
    Guybrush: "Why don't you just give me the key to the Monkey Head?"

Dominic emphasizes the word "give" instead of the word "me" which makes it sound like he read the line out of context.

I never seem to notice things like that, which would probably make me worst theatre critic ever. Sure I notice if acting is as bad as in X-rated films, but otherwise I seem to be blind as a bat to acting mistakes. Worst thing is that I don't often notice mistakes in stress even if I know where to look for. (Although I'm more fine tuned to finding those things when I use my native language).

Personally I did enjoy voice acting in the game, but then again I don't have problem with things like: "He/she should be British but he/she speaks American English", which seem to annoy many movie fans and adventure gamers (I probably won't even notice it unless the accent is thick). I'm wrong person to comment this issue at all, but since I have nothing better to do before going to bed (this is first Friday in ages when I'm not in pub or party and I'm bored.) I decided to comment this.

• The backgrounds were BEAUTIFUL, the character art, not so much... most of the voice acting was marvelous but the interface was awkward.. so it had pros and cons.

The grog puzzle was impossible for me without switching back to original mode. I also missed the text box jokes, you know, the parrot "Fondle, molest, pet, stroke" thing... I thought that was a shame but not a huge loss.

Overall, I think it was great to have it rereleased and potentially introduce a few new people to the series.

• of course it was an improvement, no doubt.

it has both new and old version in one to make everyone happy. if you tried to run the old one on a new system, you'd have difficulty, this way you could play the old version on a new system due to compatibility. so i'm going to say improvement.

• @Hee Ho Ho said: of course it was an improvement, no doubt.

it has both new and old version in one to make everyone happy. if you tried to run the old one on a new system, you'd have difficulty, this way you could play the old version on a new system due to compatibility. so i'm going to say improvement.

Difficulty? Any DOS emulator can run original SMI without problems.

Add Comment