User Avatar Image

Trying for intelligent conversation? The Path

posted by Plunder_Bunny on - last edited - Viewed by 629 users

Hello all my Tell Tale forum friends, enemies, and people who otherwise don't care. I was hoping to have an analytical conversation about the Path, a game by Tale of Tales, which is a bizarre little game basically about Little Red Ridding Hood. If you haven't played it, you can buy and download it for 10 bucks on the Tale of Tales website. It is definitely worth a play.

To start off the conversation, I have a burning question to ask of you all:
Do you think the Grandmother is dead from the beginning of the game? (Yes this game is dark and goth)

64 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Do you really see me as Little Red Riding Hood?

I did not finish the game yet, I'll see how I feel about those interpretation afterwards.

• Um... Yes? I'm sure you would look lovely in a Red Hood...

• If anything, SilverWolfPet should be the wolf.

As for Tale of Tales, I only played the demo version of The Graveyard. It wasn't that bad, but there's no way I would pay 5 bucks for it, just to see her die. I think these sort of games should be placed in museums, where visitors can spend 5 minutes or so playing them at a terminal. Let gamers play their low culture games at home. This stuff is obviously high culture (i.e. it doesn't make sense, not even one iota), so it belongs in the modern art department of a museum, away from the real art.

• Imagine how hard it must be to convince anyone to let GAMES on to a museum, though. There's a hard enough argument going on right now on whether games are considered an art form anyway.

I really don't see why they don't go with the route of most independent companies and make money through donations, merchandise, or ads. Charging to simply view a small creation is just silly and makes people come off looking bad. (not to mention telling your already paying customers that you don't work hard enough for them because you work harder for other customers is the worst thing you could ever do) And there's not anything resembling good gameplay, so I call it a "viewing."

• @PecanBlue said: Imagine how hard it must be to convince anyone to let GAMES on to a museum, though.

Oh, I don't know, they already have crazy video installations, adding interactivity to something like that would be a small step. Actually, maybe that's a better idea than bringing games into a museum - just make the museum a bit more interactive by making interactive video and sound artworks... or maybe those already exist too... then why don't we consider those games as well?

• @PecanBlue said: Imagine how hard it must be to convince anyone to let GAMES on to a museum.

I have to agree with haggis for the fact, that a lot of museums do have interactive features that represent themselves like video games.

Tale of Tales, is way to high society, and I have mentioned. They do have an interesting way of telling a story. Maybe some people can find the deeper meaning to there games, I can't. I am far from closed minded or ignorant.
    But the graveyard, is a perfect example on me going, I really don't understand this, and video games are art, don't discredit me on that. But Haggis has it right, I think that their projects, more of...what is it. Abstract video games, if you even call it that.

I think I've spoken with intelligence enough for one week, so thank you and goodnight.

• Well, in most if not all versions of Little Red Riding Hood, Red has never been a good girl. Maybe the parody should be playing the different "wolves" in the Path and having the girls be mean to it. I don't know... I'm digging. This is what I get for insomnia.

I think that getting games into museums is much closer then everyone thinks. Something like the Graveyard definitely belongs in a museum setting. I think my issue with Tale of Tales is that they insult half of their audience. You never tell your audience that they must be stupid if you don't get it. That is the surest way to get hate mail.

Has anyone played Folklore? Now that is a work of art! Beautiful graphics, well research surroundings, and a captivating story! Game play is a little hard, but I still enjoy it!

• @Plunder_Bunny said: Well, in most if not all versions of Little Red Riding Hood, Red has never been a good girl. Maybe the parody should be playing the different "wolves" in the Path and having the girls be mean to it. I don't know... I'm digging. This is what I get for insomnia.

I think that getting games into museums is much closer then everyone thinks. Something like the Graveyard definitely belongs in a museum setting. I think my issue with Tale of Tales is that they insult half of their audience. You never tell your audience that they must be stupid if you don't get it. That is the surest way to get hate mail.

Has anyone played Folklore? Now that is a work of art! Beautiful graphics, well research surroundings, and a captivating story! Game play is a little hard, but I still enjoy it!

I've never heard of it. But i do enjoy foklore of every culture, one of my favorite games., Kings Quest, had another favorite of mine Fairy tales.

• Icehope:

I love the Kings Quest games! Well, no... I didn't like KQ8. Another bizarre game out there (which I also only paid 10 bucks for) is Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ. I bought it because of the title, but I actually quite enjoyed it! Zombies can make anything better?

• Well, would YOU like to make a game? A playable smart game?

Add Comment