User Avatar Image

Urgent MI 2 question

posted by Otis on - last edited - Viewed by 220 users

Please get rid of this thread, if necessary, after I have got an answer. Thank you.

So Ive got the Monkey Island Trilogy pack, which contains the Monkey Island Madness CD featuring SoMI and MI 2. Does anyone know, for sure, if the MI 2 in that CD is the easier version, or the hard version?

I have only played the MI 2 from the Monkey Madness CD and it doesnt have an option to change the difficulty. However Ive heard that there are two difficulty settings in MI 2 in some versions. So I would like to know if I have always played the easy or the hard version.

I repeat I play it from the Monkey Island Trilogy box Monkey Madness CD. Thank you and sorry.

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Thanks guys. Scummvm is actually the best way to play it, now that ive got it fullscreen and the music is playing.

• @apenpaap said: In Revenge, the easy mode basically removes all puzzles. In Curse, the easy mode simplifies a few of the hardest puzzles.

Some of that's true. I remember first playing the easy mode and then the hard and they both took awhile (I was 7 or 8 at the time). I thought they could have put more effort in Lindy's easy puzzle, at least with Rapp's you still have to get stan's crypt key. The very end of the game had no difference in challenges. The only thing that's different in chapter 4 to my memory in the hard version is you get one cracker to start with not 3. When you find Big Whoop and have to fight LeChuck all the puzzles are exactly the same.

• @techie775 said: Some of that's true. I remember first playing the easy mode and then the hard and they both took awhile (I was 7 or 8 at the time). I thought they could have put more effort in Lindy's easy puzzle, at least with Rapp's you still have to get stan's crypt key. The very end of the game had no difference in challenges. The only thing that's different in chapter 4 to my memory in the hard version is you get one cracker to start with not 3. When you find Big Whoop and have to fight LeChuck all the puzzles are exactly the same.

Yes, chapter 1 and 4 where hardly toned down, but the best chapter was neutered.

• I'm fairly certain you didn't have o to use helium in the balloon and gloves though, to have the elevator move. In LeChuck's Castle, I think you didn't have to use the instructions on the spit-encrusted paper. Of course, my memory might fail as I've not played the Easy mode more than once and that was so many years ago (although I've watched people play it sometimes). Maybe I should try a quick run through the Easy mode again, just for fun. It's not like it'll take that long.

• @StarEye said: I'm fairly certain you didn't have o to use helium in the balloon and gloves though, to have the elevator move. In LeChuck's Castle, I think you didn't have to use the instructions on the spit-encrusted paper. Of course, my memory might fail as I've not played the Easy mode more than once and that was so many years ago (although I've watched people play it sometimes). Maybe I should try a quick run through the Easy mode again, just for fun. It's not like it'll take that long.

You also don't need to spit the candle when hanging above the acid. Wally pees it out for you.

• @Otis said: I have another question about MI 2 cd version. It seems that there are no music playing when I play the game from the CD. Ive also heard that its possible to get the music to play, so if anyone can instruct me I would be thankful.

I can play the game through scummvm and then there is music but I prefer playing fullscreen.

Just use DOS emulator and music should play normally. Personally I use DOSBox when I play old adventure or roleplaying games.

• As Im now playing through MI 2 I came to wonder, what happens if you dont notice the parrot chow thing in the first place when cruising with the boat after leaving Scabb Island the first time? I mean, after that you never get to explore the boat, you can just tell where to go.

• I have never not taken it, but I suspect that in that case you'll go to the screen with Guybrush on the jolly rasta (with the chow) every time you have captain Dread go to another island.

• @Otis said: As Im now playing through MI 2 I came to wonder, what happens if you dont notice the parrot chow thing in the first place when cruising with the boat after leaving Scabb Island the first time? I mean, after that you never get to explore the boat, you can just tell where to go.

You can go to that screen any time you're riding on Dread's ship, until you pick up the parrot chow. Then you can't go out there anymore.

• Yeah, I tried once just for fun. It only resulted in going to the screen every time. I love that screen though, It's a shame it wasn't used for anything other than that, and that you couldn't revisit it. First time I saw it, it was like... WOW, I'm at part II, and it's daylight and I'm sailing again! It felt like such an achievement! :)

Add Comment