User Avatar Image

Nobody likes Escape from Monkey Island...why?

posted by Hee Ho Ho on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

Hello,

There appears to be a lot of Negativity towards Escape of Monkey Island. The first game i played in the series was curse of MI, and i thought it was cool. escape, i thought was brilliant, monkey kombat was a fresh idea and it was generally a great idea. i remember recommending the game to all my friends, that's how much i liked it. Why do YOU not like the game?

Also, alot of people like the second game (revenge i think it's called) and it's in competition with curse of monkey island. What makes it soo good, that they're in competition, i haven't played the second one, afterall, i'm having trouble finishing the 1st one.

This link shows the competition between the two games http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14717

257 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • People don't like Escape because it's bad.

People like the second game because it's probably the best thing LucasArts ever released.

• What is the difference between MI2 and Escape? MI2 builds. Escape asks 'Where is my sequel?' MI2 creates. Escape says, 'What will the reviewers think?' MI2 invents. Escape says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of LucasArts... '

• Monkey Kombat mainly.

But it just sucked overall.

• I wasn't aware that EMI was poorly recieved until i visited TTG's forums for the first time. I personally loved it. It was funny, had some interesting puzzles (Mysts o tyme), and some great locales (Jambalaya island/knuttin atol)

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

OK, I'll be a bit more diplomatic and less "dashing" to give my two cents:

It's not a bad game per se, but:
    -Controls are BAD
    -Some puzzles were... ugh
    -It had a couple of bad bugs in it
    -Monkey Combat (This actually counts as 3 reasons on its own right)
    -LeChuck as a "#2 villain". A core part of MI is LeChuck as the main villain (at least at the end)

Personal issues (may apply to you)
    -LA changed Elaine's voice actress
    -The inventory system is not obvious and it's cumbersome to interact
    -Some areas and puzzles are troublesome (time-based puzzles probably not a good idea)
    -Herman Toothrot retcon.
    -Ozzie Mandrill. I didn't buy his motivation, but he is an alright villain (but not for main)
    -Graphics were alright for that time, but nothing spectacular (just look at Hilary Threepwood-Clinton)
    -It's the least modern computer/OS compatible of the games.

Still writing was good (mostly), voice acting was also good (whether you like some particular actor/change or not), the overall story was more than average.

I'd give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. Of course compared to Curse or Revenge is a very large fall.

• What makes Monkey Island 2 so good is that it's (imo) as close to perfect on just about every level. Music, atmosphere, story, gameplay, humour, graphics - they're just insanely good, and still among the top three games I've ever played. Other two are Final Fantasy VII and Sensible World of Soccer. But MI2 is probably on top.

Also, to really enjoy Monkey Island 2, I think headphones and playing it on the PSP is perfect. The graphics don't look so pixelated (on large LCD monitors it can be a little messy) and generally looks like it originally did on a CRT from that time. The headphones will help you get into the atmosphere and mood and really enjoy the rather spectacular soundtrack. Possibly the best soundtrack ever in an adventure game. Yeah, CMI was good too, but nothing can top MI2.

EMI, I don't really hate it. It's got some good parts, and some bad parts. The worst part was the Monkey Kombat. It didn't really make sense, to be honest. It's supposedly meant as insult kung fu, but missed the point entirely by having the clever insults of the other variants completely removed, and instead have the meaningless gibberish. I understood the idea behind it (apparently, the words were so primitive that the insult hurt you regardless of wether you understood it or not).

It also has the worst story of the Monkey Island games. And they did some rather devestating changes to the series, that I don't think was for the better. Ruining the great Monkey Head and Herman Toothrot specifically comes to mind. In short, the Monkey Island universe became a lot sillier than it already was in the first three games, and completely overdid the subtle elements of those. Jambalaya Island was really pushing it over the line in particular.

Good things about it? Graphics are nice, puzzles are mostly okay, voice acting is as good as ever and the whole game just felt polished. Unfortunately, regardless of the polish it really doesn't capture me as much as the other games (including Tales). Easily the worst of the bunch. It's a decent adventure game, but the other Monkey Island's holds such a high standard that it's a failure in comparison.

• I think Escape is bad. But the first two chapters are OK, and quite enjoyable. The last two are terrible, though.
    Things I like:
    Knuttin Atoll. It had a great atmosphere going on.
    Elaine and Demon LeChuck had very good models.
    Stan's theme from this game was by far it's best version.
    Carla, Otis, and Meathook.
    The cutscenes with Ozzie and LeChuck are surprisingly good.
    The first church of LeChuck... Orthodox.
    The music.
    The running gag where you can say something flirtatious to every female character in the game, and Guybrush will say it in a really creepy voice.
    Things I dislike:
    The controls.
    Guybrush gets bashed by everyone (Happens in every game to some extent, but usually it's not this bad or universal, and the people who are the worst get punished for it (Carla, Otis, Meathook, Rottingham, Largo, etc.). It's especially annoying when Elaine does it.
    Guybrush seems genuinly stupid instead of just inept and absent-minded.
    Murray (and, to lesser extent, Stan) in the game for no reason at all.
    Guybrush ends up on Monkey Island for completly no reason at all.
    Herman Toothrot is NOT granpa Marley.
    The giant monkey head turning into a robot.
    Monkey Kombat.
    The ending. Illogical "epic" Monkey Kombat between egoless LeChuck posessing a statue and the giant monkey head, followed by a ridiculously short and useless cutscene.
    The awful backgrounds.
    Some very illogical puzzles.
    Apart from Elaine and Demon LeChuck, all characters (especially Guybrush) had awful models.
    Elaine and Stan's voiceactors were not as good as their Curse voiceactors. Neither were very bad though.

IMO the game could have been pretty good if the story hadn't gone to Monkey Island for no reason at all and instead continued on the fairly decent path of the first two chapters. I doubt that would have raised it above place #5 on my ranking of the MI games, but it would have made the gap between Escape and the other 4 games a lot smaller.

• i enjoyed the game because it was funny. the ultimate insult and everything. i guess from what you guys are saying, is that i missed the 1st 2 games in the series which meant i had less expectations of the outcome, which is understandable.

@jmm

you mention lechuck as a secondary villain, which i find tales of MI to be, (the french dude seems primary until the end). does this mean you think tales isn't too good?:)

• While I wouldn't say I hate Escape, it's certainly my least favourite of the series. These would be my particular pros and cons:

Pros:
    Dominic Armato as Guybrush
    Carla is in it
    Convinced me that having Guybrush and Elaine being married would actually work
    MURRAY. (even with a criminally small role)

Also, at the time I actually preferred Elaine's voice actress in this game, I hadn't been taken by her inexplicable Englishness in Curse. However, Tales has now sold me on Alexandra Boyd so that's no longer a pro.

Cons:
    I hate the PC controls. Hate, hate HATE.
    Monkey Kombat.
    Escape's version of the secret of Monkey Island. JUST NO.
    What they did with Herman Toothrot. ALSO NO. Furthermore, since Escape goes with the 'accidentally maroon your crew on Monkey Island' path from Secret, that would mean that Guybrush had gotten back to Melee on Herman Toothrot's boat... so how the hell did Herman end up marooned again? (I forget if that plot hole is addressed in the game)

I would actually like to play through Escape again, but my PC seems to be allergic to it and keeps crashing when I run it. I might try it on my laptop, has anyone had any luck running it on Windows 7?

• @Jen Kollic said: While I wouldn't say I hate Escape, it's certainly my least favourite of the series. These would be my particular pros and cons:

Pros:
    Dominic Armato as Guybrush
    Carla is in it
    Convinced me that having Guybrush and Elaine being married would actually work
    MURRAY. (even with a criminally small role)

Also, at the time I actually preferred Elaine's voice actress in this game, I hadn't been taken by her inexplicable Englishness in Curse. However, Tales has now sold me on Alexandra Boyd so that's no longer a pro.

Cons:
    I hate the PC controls. Hate, hate HATE.
    Monkey Kombat.
    Escape's version of the secret of Monkey Island. JUST NO.
    What they did with Herman Toothrot. ALSO NO. Furthermore, since Escape goes with the 'accidentally maroon your crew on Monkey Island' path from Secret, that would mean that Guybrush had gotten back to Melee on Herman Toothrot's boat... so how the hell did Herman end up marooned again? (I forget if that plot hole is addressed in the game)

I would actually like to play through Escape again, but my PC seems to be allergic to it and keeps crashing when I run it. I might try it on my laptop, has anyone had any luck running it on Windows 7?

see, i never met toothrot before so when i met him the the 4th game i just loved bashing him up with different objects trying to regain his memory

Add Comment