User Avatar Image

Was SoMI: Special Edition really an improvement on the original after all?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 974 users

I personally loved the game. I thought that they improved Secret of Monkey Island in every aspect. But some people have had complaints about things like the interface being difficult to use, annoying and inconvenient, people saying the artwork was bad and that Guybrush looked awful, and then of course there are those who are really like the "blocky" look of the old, classic adventure games. So, how is your view on this? Was the Special Edition really all that much of an improvement?

148 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: Special Edition has voice-acting by the cast of Curse, which is a positive, but they changed some of the dialogue a bit, which breaks my nostalgia when it happens: Classic: "Oooh, that's nice. Simple. Just like one of mine. And little. Like mine. And it says, 'Made by Lemonhead.' ...just like one of mine!" ; SE: "Oooh, that's nice. And it says, 'Made by Lemonhead.' ...just like one of mine!") To keep the voice acting in time with the classic mode of SE, the text dialogue of the classic mode on that version was also changed.

My original version of SoMI that I've had for years (White Label Double Pack, with Monkey Island 2) always had the short version of that line, so they must've based the Special Edition on that. In fact, I don't think they changed anything at all in the classic mode except for the Grog machine - after the machine eats Guybrush's piece of eight, trying to make him put another one in will just make him say "I'm not stupid enough to do that twice." It's still possible to give all your money to Otis, though.

• @Olaus Petrus said: Difficulty? Any DOS emulator can run original SMI without problems.

yeah, but it would be easier just to launch the new one, then press the button that changes the game to the old one, that's easier, dos emus are usually not straight forward, considering you have to use command line (dosbox). it's not really for the basic computer user.

• @Hee Ho Ho said: yeah, but it would be easier just to launch the new one, then press the button that changes the game to the old one, that's easier, dos emus are usually not straight forward, considering you have to use command line (dosbox). it's not really for the basic computer user.

Commands are really quite simple. DOSBox is actually a lot easier to use than real DOS and everyone and their mother used to have MS-DOS as their operating system. I believe that average computer users remember at least basic DOS commands from the earlier days. So it shouldn't really be a problem.

• I'd say it is an improvement.
    The graphics are nice, but Guybrush's sprite is really bad. The sound (both the voices and the music) are an enormous improvement though. Almost every song got a lot better. I don't like the new inerface.
    IMO they should have made an option that allows you to play with the original graphics, but with voices and remastered music.

• Regarding the original SOMI on the SE edition, it's not the best version. It's kinda like they wanted to make the gap between the original and the remake as large as possible. Play the FMTowns or CD-VGA version of SOMI, and it'll look and sound a lot better than the one in the SE. Better and a lot more soundeffects, better graphics and a lot better music. Plus, it has the Monkey Island 2 interface, which means only 9 verbs in large purple letters, and the inventory icons.

But yeah, they probably wanted the gap to look as large as possible, so it could make the new version look good. But getting the CD-VGA version on the PSP is a much better representation on how it's supposed to look.

• I really loved the special edition compared to the original(this is taken from a person who only played special edition) I dont know who else agrees with me, but I can't play a game that is only subtiles and no talking. I sadly would not have even finished the game without voice acting.

• @Hee Ho Ho said: of course it was an improvement, no doubt.

it has both new and old version in one to make everyone happy. if you tried to run the old one on a new system, you'd have difficulty, this way you could play the old version on a new system due to compatibility. so i'm going to say improvement.

@Hee Ho Ho said: Difficulty? Any DOS emulator can run original SMI without problems.

@Hee Ho Ho said: yeah, but it would be easier just to launch the new one, then press the button that changes the game to the old one, that's easier, dos emus are usually not straight forward, considering you have to use command line (dosbox). it's not really for the basic computer user.

@Hee Ho Ho said: Commands are really quite simple. DOSBox is actually a lot easier to use than real DOS and everyone and their mother used to have MS-DOS as their operating system. I believe that average computer users remember at least basic DOS commands from the earlier days. So it shouldn't really be a problem.

Why are you guys even discussing DOSBox when it comes to SMI? ...That is to say, ANY game that uses the SCUMM engine, SMI included, runs beautifully under ScummVM with no problems whatsoever.

Hee Ho Ho, ScummVM is not only easy enough that a three-headed monkey could use it, but it also requires no DOS commands. All you'd have to do, in SMI's case, is copy the entire set of game files from the diskettes or CD to a folder on your PC, then "Add" a new game to ScummVM's list, browse to the game folder and click Okay. That's all.

scummvm.jpg

• @Chyron8472 said: Why are you guys even discussing DOSBox when it comes to SMI? ...That is to say, ANY game that uses the SCUMM engine, SMI included, runs beautifully under ScummVM with no problems whatsoever.

Hee Ho Ho, ScummVM is not only easy enough that a three-headed monkey could use it, but it also requires no DOS commands. All you'd have to do, in SMI's case, is copy the entire set of game files from the diskettes or CD to a folder on your PC, then "Add" a new game to ScummVM's list, browse to the game folder and click Okay. That's all.

I for one don't like the fact that ScummVM changes menus and stuff, so I rather use some other programme instead. I know it isn't probably a big thing for many, but for me it is. I don't want that emulator, which I use to run the game, changes my gaming experience in any ways, but it should be as invisible as possible while the game is on.

Besides DOSBox allows me to play practically any DOS game, so why should I have separate programmes for Monkey Island and my other old games?

• @Olaus Petrus said: I for one don't like the fact that ScummVM changes menus and stuff, so I rather use some other programme instead. I know it isn't probably a big thing for many, but for me it is. I don't want that emulator, which I use to run the game, changes my gaming experience in any ways, but it should be as invisible as possible while the game is on.

Besides DOSBox allows me to play practically any DOS game, so why should I have separate programmes for Monkey Island and my other old games?

Because there are games that requires Windows that ScummVM can run? And if you have those, you might as well use it for other games as well, seeing as it's simple as dirt.

Also, the only thing ScummVM changes is the menu. Yeah, the menu for load/save/quit/etc looks different. What a travesty. Besides, there are lots of games that doesn't have a new menu, like Flight of the Amazone Queen, Simon the Sorcerer 2. They use the in-game save/load/option menu.

• @StarEye said: Because there are games that requires Windows that ScummVM can run? And if you have those, you might as well use it for other games as well, seeing as it's simple as dirt.

Also, the only thing ScummVM changes is the menu. Yeah, the menu for load/save/quit/etc looks different. What a travesty. Besides, there are lots of games that doesn't have a new menu, like Flight of the Amazone Queen, Simon the Sorcerer 2. They use the in-game save/load/option menu.

I use Windows to play Windows games like Curse, so I really don't have need for ScummVM.

And while you're fine with losing original menu, I'm not. Small things like that sometimes annoy me so much that whole gaming experience is ruined, because game doesn't look like exactly like it did in early 90s when I first played it.

Add Comment