User Avatar Image

Nobody likes Escape from Monkey Island...why?

posted by Hee Ho Ho on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

Hello,

There appears to be a lot of Negativity towards Escape of Monkey Island. The first game i played in the series was curse of MI, and i thought it was cool. escape, i thought was brilliant, monkey kombat was a fresh idea and it was generally a great idea. i remember recommending the game to all my friends, that's how much i liked it. Why do YOU not like the game?

Also, alot of people like the second game (revenge i think it's called) and it's in competition with curse of monkey island. What makes it soo good, that they're in competition, i haven't played the second one, afterall, i'm having trouble finishing the 1st one.

This link shows the competition between the two games http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14717

257 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I only got up to the part with the judges at the beginning and stopped. I should really get back into it one of these days just for the sake of beating it, but here's what pretty much made me lose interest instantly:

-Horrible interface + controls
    -Forcing traditions where they're not needed. IE. the dumb arm wrestling game + Carla and Otis return even though their characterization was incredibly weak, were out of character in general, and seemed as if they had no reason to be there other than "look guys, old characters."
    -General bad characterization and out of character behavior. I'm not even going to start on Elaine. Guybrush was way too dumb and is apparently some sort of womanizer now? What was up with Jojo, the apparently generic animal sidekick?
    -I'll let the awful graphics slide even if they are still pretty bad for its time. But the graphics are no excuse for the shoddy character design.
    -Cringe-worthy attempts at humor. (We got stuck with a girly boat! HAHA HILARIOUS.)
    -The writing, especially in the dialogue, just seemed bad. Didn't get very far to make a proper judgment but I've been told it doesn't get any better anyway.

Good parts? Voice acting, music, the puzzles seemed "okay" so far, (though hard to recognize them as such with that sort of terrible interface and also they seemed sort of rushed) and maybe the level designs with their camera angles and colors, etc. That's pretty much all I can think of.

• I think Escape from Monkey Island is a very good game.. Probably it is not as good as the other MI games but it is still a good game!

• i got it on ps2 this past christmas....rather decent, but much harder than tales of monkey island. I'm getting the guide book.

• the controls can't be THAT bad as everyone says. I know they weren't the best, but they weren't terrible. The previous games had worse graphics than this, even if they weren't up to scratch with modern games. and as for the jokes, i enjoyed them, i didn't find them crumby. it was the only game series with a sense of humor, that's what grabbed me. i don't know, maybe i have low expectations. but let me tell you something:-

If you have expectations of a game, you'll find bad things about it.
    If you have no expectations of a game, you'll enjoy the game with no critisms at all.

I guess i am the latter and many of you are the former.:)

• @Inika_Unite77 said: i got it on ps2 this past christmas....rather decent, but much harder than tales of monkey island. I'm getting the guide book.

why don't you just print off a free walkthrough.

@jen kollic

if you have one of the more expensive windows 7 i.e. ultimate, then you will have something called xp mode, and considering the game works on xp, it should work through xp mode.

• @Hee Ho Ho said: If you have no expectations of a game, you'll enjoy the game with no critisms at all.

I played it when I was new to the series and was rushing through the four games to catch up with Tales. (which I only played the very very beginning of and stopped before Guybrush got on to Flotsam Island anyway) Didn't know anything about it and had no expectations at all, still found it awful. So that philosophy isn't entirely accurate.

The only reason why I didn't continue playing was because I told my friends "guys, this game is kind of dumb for some reason." And they're all "oh hey if you're playing Escape just skip it, nobody cares about Escape."

• @Hee Ho Ho said:
    @jen kollic

if you have one of the more expensive windows 7 i.e. ultimate, then you will have something called xp mode, and considering the game works on xp, it should work through xp mode.

That's weird, it's XP that I've got on my desktop PC and that's the one which keeps crashing when I try to run it...

• Escape was my first Monkey Island game, so it has that going for it in my book, but it's also the only Monkey Island game that I've never replayed...

Pros:
    -The voice acting was pretty good. I didn't like Elaine's recasting. She did a good job, but I like consistency in voice actors. Same with Stan. They weren't bad but I'd prefer to have the originals back.
    -Soundtrack
    -It's Monkey Island?

Cons:
    -GRAPHICS! I'm sorry, but the graphics just look kind of lifeless and odd. I know it's an old game, but I feel like Curse (which came out years earlier) had a much better art style. The atmosphere wasn't there in the visuals.
    -Story: It just felt weak. I can't really remember any new characters they introduced except for Ozzie Mandrill. The others were just kind of forgettable. Not to mention the plot holes it created and the DESTRUCTION OF THE TRADEMARK MONKEY HEAD!
    -Characterization: Elaine especially. She was a considerable B-word in a lot of this game. Most of the ammo for the Guybrush/Morgan supporters probably came from this game.
    -It just wasn't as fun to play as the other ones. Monkey Kombat, some of the puzzles...
    -It also wasn't as funny.

That said, I do think that LeChuck's Revenge is kind of overrated too. It's soundtrack and story beat Secret hands down (though it is marred by that ending) but I just don't think it's very funny, which is an important quality for a MI game. I don't really consider it as perfect as most of the people here...

• @PecanBlue said: I played it when I was new to the series and was rushing through the four games to catch up with Tales. (which I only played the very very beginning of and stopped before Guybrush got on to Flotsam Island anyway) Didn't know anything about it and had no expectations at all, still found it awful. So that philosophy isn't entirely accurate.

The only reason why I didn't continue playing was because I told my friends "guys, this game is kind of dumb for some reason." And they're all "oh hey if you're playing Escape just skip it, nobody cares about Escape."

the theory works, i had NO expectations. like you said, your friend said it was "rubbish". now if i told you sam and max was rubbish, you wouldn't play that with enthusiasm either. you played every monkey island game because something told you these games are good, so you expected them to be good, you had a standard. i didn't i was like "a new game?!? thanks, i'd love to play it" - no expectations.

• -lack of mouse control (which is fine for a parser game but this is not one of them.)
    -Monkey Kombat
    -The illogical puzzles on Lucre Island (pogo the monkey dials and mystes of time)
    -Herman Toothrot does not equal captain marley.
    -Robot Monkey that somehow in monkey island 1 was the entrance to hell (or whatever that was to Lechuck's ship). It can't be both. Even with the garbage that hell closed up by mi4. How do skeleton bones turn into a robot?
    -Let's allow a guy who's defeat you twice, escaped your traps numerous times, to go be deserted on an island instead of doing the smart thing and kill him to ensure he doesn't come back and cause trouble. That just seemed like poor writing to me.

Add Comment