User Avatar Image

Future of Bone?

posted by Armakuni on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Since Telltale started making Sam & Max, I've become worried about the Bone series.. of course I prefer Sam & Max but as I've already bought Bone I would hate for that series to be cancelled as it would render my game useless. This is my biggest complaint when it comes to episodic gaming, the uncertainty that you will get the entire story finished.. just look at the Sin episodes, they were cancelled (after the first episode too!).

Anyway, could anyone from Telltale inform me if it's pretty much guaranteed that you will finish the Bone series someday or is there a chance it will be cancelled?

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have read the books, I was just second guessing myself as far as how many chapters there were as I was writing the post.

• How can anybody say that the first two games are "useless" because there are no sequels (yet)?
    I adequately enjoyed both games as games in their own right, and if there is a sequel, that would be great (especially considering the expierience the TTG people have gained with the S&M games), but, even if there aren't, let's not diminish the games. They are cool enough just for being the games they are...

• Of course they're useless if the story stops almost before it even begins! At least that's what I think.

• there are nine Bone books, not twelve*

I dunno why, but in french there's twelve books...

• I still have hope that Episode 3 is coming, but doesn't look like it will be coming too soon:

From Mojo's trip to Telltale HQ:

http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/read.php?article=gdc2007&page=1
    I then asked Emily about Bone, and she said that no, it wasn’t getting made at the moment, but everyone at Telltale would really love to do it. “We were talking about that at lunch, actually. We wish we were working on Bone.” She looked really glum as she said this, so I said: “oh, never mind, it’s best not to spread yourself too thin anyway.” I think that there are actually darker reasons for Bone Episode Three not being made, something about licensing, but I couldn’t find anything else about that, as it’s one of those touchy legal subjects. Speaking of which, I made an ill-calculated joke about “market place realities” that got an awkward silence. Whoops!

My suspicion is that they're working on something else (The CSI and S&M teams are just about wrapping up major production right? So something else must be in the works for them to be too busy for Bone?) and they don't want to restart the Bone franchise until they can do it "right," with a properly sequenced episodic schedule.

• Yeah.. working on episodic games sounds stressful as hell to me! But since they started the Bone series I really think they should continue and finish it within too long.. but I like the Sam & Max games better though. However, I think it should be a principle that once you start a series and people buy parts of it, you should keep working on it until it's done.
    I don't really care that much personally though as I really enjoy the Sam & Max games :)

• @laffer said: Yeah.. working on episodic games sounds stressful as hell to me!

Yep. Personally, I am pretty impressed they are able to keep it up and still deliver products that are(practically) bug free. I mean, certain people have issues, but there are no issues that affects a grand amount of customers for example. Also, seeing the staff coming on this forum on a saturday, and also seeing them spending extra time on replying posts and such. It really shows these people like what they are doing, and are a dedicated group of people. With Telltale games, I get a chance to know whos behind the games, which really makes it more tempting to buy and support these people who always give 100% to make our day a little bit brighter and a little more problem free.

@laffer said: But since they started the Bone series I really think they should continue and finish it within too long.. but I like the Sam & Max games better though. However, I think it should be a principle that once you start a series and people buy parts of it, you should keep working on it until it's done.
    I don't really care that much personally though as I really enjoy the Sam & Max games :)

True, always nice to finish a series. But sometimes legal issues can pop up just like that, and one can't really ever full protect oneself from it happening.

I hope they will continue developing other stuff as well, though, and not focus too much on sam & max. It can be dangerous if the "only" games they focus mainly on developing are Sam & Max based games. Suddenly the fan base decides they are sick of sam & max or something else unexpected happens, and suddenly a main source of income is gone.

• Let's hope Sam & Max won't become for TellTale what Star Wars is for LucasArts ;)

• I don't like what I'm hearing about this subject lately. Telltale has talked about a possible Season Two and maybe even original stuff (which I long for, don't take me wrong), but... no Bone in the works. Why? Season One is almost over, CSI Hard Evidence almost wrapped up, so... why the delay? I'm worried. :confused:

• I think the fact that Bone is entirely (?) self-funded might be a reason why it's being placed behind everything else which has the financial security and the set schedules of a publisher (Gametap with Sam & Max, Ubisoft with CSI). Just a guess.

Add Comment