User Avatar Image

Apple iPad

posted by Thriftweed Fancy Pants on - last edited - Viewed by 420 users

Call me names ("fan-boy"), but I love Apple products. Apple released it's iPad today, and even though it's basically a bigger, better iPhone, I have to admit, I'm going to start paying more attention to the adventure games that become available for the mobile operating system shared by these devices. Has anyone played Broken Sword on the iPhone before? Any titles you would like to see become available?

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • One thing I really don't get is: The device isn't HD, thus won't support HD movies from itunes natively, not only that but he also has a dig at netbooks, which are not only cheaper, support HD, but also more powerful. I really don't see their being a large market for the ipad (urgh, is it really called that?). The thing itself is really ugly, which is completely against the apparent Apple mantra of style.

So yeah, I guess I don't like it.

• This thing looks too fragile. All it is is a bigger and square version of an iPhone. It may not be bad, but I wouldn't want to spend $499 on that.

• I think it seems pretty cool, it is over priced.... 700$ for that is not really affordable, might as well buy a laptop.... I still want one.... So cool.... *drools*

*edit*
    You also have to keep in mind that when you buy apple stuff you pay a lot for the design. If that fits you then get apple, if you don't care if it looks ugly or bulky get an other brand, in general on apples products :)

• @patters said: One thing I really don't get is: The device isn't HD, thus won't support HD movies from itunes natively, not only that but he also has a dig at netbooks, which are not only cheaper, support HD, but also more powerful. I really don't see their being a large market for the ipad (urgh, is it really called that?). The thing itself is really ugly, which is completely against the apparent Apple mantra of style.

So yeah, I guess I don't like it.

The screen is small enough for HD not to make that much of a difference, altough that's just an assumption on my part. I kinda like the look of this, sure netbooks may be cheaper, and I haven't read any specs for the iPad yet - but I'm interested in this, simply because of the touchscreen and functionality of the iPhone. It's not something I drag around at all times of course, like I would with an iPhone, but it'll be great as an alternative to a laptop/netbook. It's gonna need some huge screen-protecters though, I don't want a screen full of scratches. And I'm not looking forward to putting those on, without having airbubbles all over the place. :D

• How is it competition for netbooks? For the price of the cheapest iPad I could get this netbook from Asus, which is twice as heavy, but has a bigger screen, three USB ports, one VGA and one HDMI as opposed to none; has a bigger screen, 250 GB HDD instead of 16, webcam and a full sized keyboard.

Why would I buy the iPad over that?

• @StarEye said: The screen is small enough for HD not to make that much of a difference, altough that's just an assumption on my part. I kinda like the look of this, sure netbooks may be cheaper, and I haven't read any specs for the iPad yet - but I'm interested in this, simply because of the touchscreen and functionality of the iPhone. It's not something I drag around at all times of course, like I would with an iPhone, but it'll be great as an alternative to a laptop/netbook. It's gonna need some huge screen-protecters though, I don't want a screen full of scratches. And I'm not looking forward to putting those on, without having airbubbles all over the place. :D

My point is that having 2 copies of a video (1 HD 1 SD) on your main machine to transfer the tablet, is ridiculous, downscaling wouldn't be worth doing as it always looks terrible. I'm also very surprised it's 4:3, if it's supposed to have videos watched on it then it should at least be 16:10.

I could see it being a fantastic tool for image manipulation, though not better than a dedicated drawing tablet.

• I think poeple whoare comparing to a laptop are missing the point. It's a bridge between a smartphone and a laptop. I have an iPod Touch and a netbook and as far as I can tell the iPad can do everything I use either for in the home.

It won't try to replace laptops - it's a consumer device, not intended for professional applications.

• Well, I think we can agree that it will be a fantastic platform for ScummVM (there's already an iPhone version, isn't there, so it will work from day one - although I assume it needs to be hacked first).

• User Avatar Image
    Majus Telltale Staff

I think the only point of the iPad is to look Sci-Fi. Seriously, you could be like Picard who sits on his desk, working on some screen without buttons! It’s the future dude!!

But thats the only point I can think of.

• @Toothless Gibbon said: I think poeple whoare comparing to a laptop are missing the point. It's a bridge between a smartphone and a laptop. I have an iPod Touch and a netbook and as far as I can tell the iPad can do everything I use either for in the home.

It won't try to replace laptops - it's a consumer device, not intended for professional applications.

What does that mean? Why would I want something that bridges the gap between a smart phone and a laptop? What's the advantage to a really big iPhone? Why is making something more cumbersome a positive?

Add Comment