User Avatar Image

Video: The TRUE Secret of Monkey Island

posted by andygeers on - last edited - Viewed by 765 users

I've put together a YouTube video discussing some of the conspiracy theories about what Ron Gilbert meant by The Secret of Monkey Island.

It contains MAJOR spoilers to both SOMI and MI2:LR so don't watch if you haven't played them yet but intend to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka07i6cp_0U

Hope you enjoy it!

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @andygeers said: I don't think you're alone in this sentiment - I've come across quite a few people expressing the same idea. I must confess though, I slightly struggle to understand exactly people feel this way - in what way does it diminish the experience?

There's also one MAJOR clue that nobody ever seems to comment on: we know that Guybrush's parents are DEAD - their skeletons are sitting in the Lost and Found. So how come they're suddenly alive again in the themepark?

First, about the parent-skeletons: No, no Guybrush said they were his parents, but how on earth would anyone recognize their own parents' skeletons just by looking at them without further evidence? Also, they don't have to be Guybrush's parents (he could be mistaken), but they DO have to be LeChuck's parents/ancestors, since you are required to use a bone from one of them to make a LeChuck voodoo doll... so then what are LeChuck's parents'/ancestors' skeletons doing in a passageway under Dinky/Monkey Island?

Second, the reason why the whole-world-being-Guybrush's-imagination-at-a theme-park idea would ruin the series for many of us (myself included,) is because it would be exactly that: not real. So many of us have come to know these characters throughout the series and they've become quite real to us in our own imaginations. If Guybrush and everyone he knew and everywhere he went turned out to be just a dream or a child's imagination in the story itself, then nothing anyone ever does, has done, or ever will do in the world of Monkey Island will ever matter because none of it is real anyway.

It's not just a video game series, it's a story, and with that in mind, the people who have been following the characters for so long have built up an emotional interest in what happens to them. As happens when reading many great novels, at some point the characters come alive for you, and you connect with them on one level or another. To then turn it all around and say that all the adventures you've shared with those characters are a complete fraud because even the characters themselves are made aware that it's fake... well, that just ruins the bond we've created with that world and the people in it because we know that they know that none of it matters.

DO YOU HEAR ME, RON GILBERT? If the true secret of Monkey Island is that none of Guybrush's adventures are real and that it's all in his own imagination... KEEP IT TO YOURSELF, please. Let us speculate for ourselves what it is (unless it's not that, then PLEASE tell us. Please? PLEEASE? I'll give you a cookie...)

EDIT: But wait... if all of it is fake and it's just Guybrush's imagination, then why is he imagining having a 3 month long honeymoon with Elaine? It would take one really perverted small child to daydream about spending 3 months on the open sea having sex with an adult woman.

• @Chyron8472 said: But wait... if all of it is fake and it's just Guybrush's imagination, then why is he imagining having a 3 month long honeymoon with Elaine? It would take one really perverted small child to daydream about spending 3 months on the open sea having sex with an adult woman.

:[ oh dear.

I dunno. I personally thought that all the Disneyland stuff was all just a silly joke, this being a silly game about pirates. Honestly, even if that was supposed to be the Secret of Monkey Island, it'd surely would have been voided by now with the new additions to the story. That and the whole thing with Elaine saying something along the lines of "Gee, I hope Guybrush didn't get hideously cursed or anything." at the end of the game seems to imply the opposite of the whole "Guybrush is a kid" idea.

• All this reminds me of LOST. Past theories:

"They're all dead!"

"It's all in Hurley's mind!"

"It's just a theme park!" (Just kidding.)

• Maaaan this thread is really making me want to play MI2 again now so baddd! I should be doing work...

The thing I find odd is that if Guybrush's parents had sent his brother Chuckie to look for him, then how come its Guybrush who goes off to seek LeChuck in SMI? It seems to me the only reason LeChuck is after Guybrush in MI2 is because of the events of SMI. The parallel's here don't make much sense to me here.

• In MI1, if you encounter a pirate in the forest you can ask him 'why do you talk so funny' and he'll go "that's the way people talk back then. come on, guybrush, play along". I think that is another proof of the imagination theory.

• @Mataku said: In MI1, if you encounter a pirate in the forest you can ask him 'why do you talk so funny' and he'll go "that's the way people talk back then. come on, guybrush, play along". I think that is another proof of the imagination theory.

Or it could just be a fourth-wall breaking joke. I'm not really buying the theme park explanation. Kids have rich imaginations, but thinking up that many crazy characters? That must be some child prodigy.

• I'll share the sentiment with some others here. I don't want the whole thing to be made up. I've grown to love the entire pirate atmosphere, and to just dismiss the entire thing as fake, is well...disappointing to say the least. Some of these theories, such as the E-Ticket, the dog, the T-Shirt were most likely silly jokes put in for a good laugh. Besides, I'm satisfied with the way it all turned out. Instead of Monkey Island just being some series that ended in the mid-90s we have one of my favorite games of all-time (COMI) and a whole series that's still going strong today :).

And c'mon. How come the people behind the "dream-theory" never really acknowledge the whole LeChuck evil face at the end. Do normal kids at Amusement Parks do that often? And the whole Elaine thing where she Capitalizes the words "EVIL CURSE" or something like that is another giveaway IMO.

Summary: If Ron's MI3 came out, it would be a great game. However, this would just make Monkey Island some forgotten trilogy from the early 90s. Instead we have an entire world that lives on to this day.

• @DonCopal said:
    Summary: If Ron's MI3 came out, it would be a great game. However, this would just make Monkey Island some forgotten trilogy from the early 90s. Instead we have an entire world that lives on to this day.

Uhm, why do you think that? We don't know how Ron's MI3 would end, and because of that, we don't know if another game could be made after MI3. Also, at worst it would be as forgotten as Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle or Grim Fandango is. Heck, a Ron MI3 could've opened up a whole different set of Monkey Island stories for all we know. The universe has been created, maybe the characters themselves wouldn't be so important in the end, maybe it's the world of Monkey Island that's important. It depends on what the story of MI3 would be. But I can easily see more games being made, even if the story had ended, had Ron created MI3. In what form or with what characters is unknown. But your assumption that it would be just another forgotten trilogy could very well be very wrong. I'm guessing it would be just as forgettable as the original Star Wars trilogy was.

• @StarEye said: Uhm, why do you think that? We don't know how Ron's MI3 would end, and because of that, we don't know if another game could be made after MI3. Also, at worst it would be as forgotten as Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle or Grim Fandango is. Heck, a Ron MI3 could've opened up a whole different set of Monkey Island stories for all we know. The universe has been created, maybe the characters themselves wouldn't be so important in the end, maybe it's the world of Monkey Island that's important. It depends on what the story of MI3 would be. But I can easily see more games being made, even if the story had ended, had Ron created MI3. In what form or with what characters is unknown. But your assumption that it would be just another forgotten trilogy could very well be very wrong. I'm guessing it would be just as forgettable as the original Star Wars trilogy was.

Actually, I apologize, as my post was not really what I was aiming for in the first place. What I meant to say, is that if the whole thing was just a dream, then the entire Piratey Universe just goes up into flames, with no point of continuing the series. My other point is that I'm very happy with the path Monkey Island has taken since CMI up until Tales and I don't want to see it get the Grim Fandango treatment. Ron's MI3 would probably be another outstanding game, but CMI was such an amazing game that now that I've played it a hundred or so times, I don't want change.:cool:

Sorry if this post is hard to decipher.

• Ah, I see what you mean. But CMI did not really feel like a continuation of the story to me. It felt more like a side story, a distraction. It basically ignored LeChuck's search for revenge (the whole basis of the story after he was ressurected by Largo). I can understand why, but my point is, if Ron's MI3 didn't have a final ending, but more or an open one that was possible to continue, CMI could still have happened, since the story doesn't really rely that much on the first two games in the series. CMI could've been MI4, for all we know.

Add Comment