User Avatar Image

Futurama Thread

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

This year, on the 10th of June, the first episode of Futurama season 6 will go to air :)! This will be the first official Futurama episode (excluding the feature length films) since 2003; 7 years (for those who can't count)! It's fittingly called "Rebirth", and will be the first of the 13 episodes in season 6, and then a season 7 is also planned - we'll be having a total 26 new episodes! The whole original voice-acting cast is back and Matt Groening and David X. Cohen are still heading the team and writing episodes!

Now, I've known about this for quite a while now - as I'm sure most of you have as well - but actually getting an official release date and episode title just makes it seem that much more real and make me, personally, that much more excited. So how about you? Are you excited about the television return of Futurama? Or are you worried that it may be a failure and forever tarnish your opinion of Futurama? Will the episodes live up to the old ones? And how did you think the feature length films fared against the classic episodes?

Opinions and speculation please.

124 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @haydenwce27 said: This year, on the 10th of June, the first episode of Futurama season 6 will go to air :)! This will be the first official Futurama episode (excluding the feature length films) since 2003; 7 years (for those who can't count)! It's fittingly called "Rebirth", and will be the first of the 13 episodes in season 6, and then a season 7 is also planned - we'll be having a total 26 new episodes! The whole original voice-acting cast is back and Matt Groening and David X. Cohen are still heading the team and writing episodes!

WAIT, it would be season 7 technically, the original run was split into 5 seasons, though the DVDs were in 4, unless you are going to disregard the movies in that context. Otherwise you have to count it as purely a season 5 as that is the way it was produced, Seasons 1-4, the films then season 5.

Either way I am happy about it.

• @patters said: WAIT, it would be season 7 technically, the original run was split into 5 seasons, though the DVDs were in 4, unless you are going to disregard the movies in that context. Otherwise you have to count it as purely a season 5 as that is the way it was produced, Seasons 1-4, the films then season 5.

Either way I am happy about it.

Let's not get nit-picky. I just went off this.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@patters said: WAIT, it would be season 7 technically, the original run was split into 5 seasons

Only when they first aired in the US. Most people accept that there should be four series... sorry, seasons, and the films made up a fifth.

• @Darth Marsden said: Only when they first aired in the US. Most people accept that there should be four series... sorry, seasons, and the films made up a fifth.

My point exactly, the films aren't a season, The only way you can say there are 6 is by disregarding the films and counting the original airing run. If you buy the dvds you have 4 seasons, and 4 films; yet if you count the original run there are 6 seasons. I guess you could take an average though.

• The movies are considered the fifth season. They can be broken up into four episodes each.

• Hmmm...I never really thought of the films as being their own season. I just thought of them as...well, just movies. Though I guess you could consider them as hour-long episodes...

Anyways, on topic :p

To be honest, I was more or less disappointed with the films. For me, they just didn't carry the same sweet essence earlier episodes did. I just remember feeling a hint of that in the dosage of disappointment I tasted after watching them. Only exception to this was Bender's character, which for me saved the films...

But I try to be optimistic and I did enjoy the series as a whole, so I am looking forward to this with sheer optimism that they'll live up to the quality of the older seasons :)

*hides behind Sam, awaiting potential flaming she may've reaped upon herself* ><

• I half agree. I really liked the plotty Bender's Big Score and Into the Wild Green Yonder. Especially Bender's Big Score. But when they tried to stretch out the less serious plots over ninety minutes, it didn't really work. It didn't help that the plot elements the other two were marketed on didn't appear until about the last twenty minutes. I kept waiting for the fantasy world and the giant tentacle alien to show up without enjoying what was happening at that moment.

• Bender's Big Score was the best of the films, and I actually really liked it. Beast with a Billion Backs, oddly enough, didn't thrill me at all. I was really disappointed in it. And then Wild Green Yonder surprised me by being pretty good after I thought they may only have only one good film in them. Big Score is still the best.

I'm wary about this new season more than excited, I guess. I thought that Futurama ended on just the right note, and then they caught lightning in a bottle AGAIN with the ending to Green Yonder. I'm not sure how many times they can do that.

• On the one hand, I love Futurama more than any other adult-aimed animated show, so more of it sounds like a good thing. But on the other, the ending of Wild Green Yonder would have been a good place to end it, I'm a bit wary about how Fry and Leela's relationship will factor in to the new series and whether it'll change the tone. Then again, I also thought that about Guybrush and Elaine getting married, sooooo... *shrugs*

Bender's Game was definitely my favourite of Season 5, but as a D&D player all the D&D related jokes and references cracked me up, and I can understand why someone who's never played it wouldn't get them.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

I liked all the films, but Bender's Game would be my least favourite, because the whole D'n'D thing is a massive 20-minute 'And now for something completely different' moment. Funny, but totally out of sync with the rest of the episode, and very jarring as a result.

Add Comment