User Avatar Image

Was SoMI: Special Edition really an improvement on the original after all?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 815 users

I personally loved the game. I thought that they improved Secret of Monkey Island in every aspect. But some people have had complaints about things like the interface being difficult to use, annoying and inconvenient, people saying the artwork was bad and that Guybrush looked awful, and then of course there are those who are really like the "blocky" look of the old, classic adventure games. So, how is your view on this? Was the Special Edition really all that much of an improvement?

148 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Uzrname said: Senseless rage. I never "dismissed" Loom. I just didn't get it as a game, that's all. Hassat made a perfect comparison with Grim Fandango in CMI, that's exactly what I pointing out at. In 1997 this way funny. If you, for some reasons unknown, remake CMI, like, let's say, 7 years from now, and add the same Calavera with the same sticker - I'm sure younger audience would go "WTF" about it. It's undoubted.

Or, it targets the people who used to play CMI (us) and we all remember Grim Fandango.

Who cares about the new kids? Le'mme be confused. :p

• @Hassat Hunter said: Who cares about the new kids? Le'mme be confused. :p

Oh, would someone please think of the children? They are our future!

• @petethepanda said: The SE was halfway garbage. The graphical "update" took something charming and unique and made it bland and borderline ugly. On the other hand, the voice acting was a welcome feature... but it comes off as awkwardly slow and unnatural (whether this was an artistic decision or having to match the slow speed of the on-screen text due to a technical limitation of the SCUMM engine I don't know).

Here comes the guy who dug everything I said before.
    Two is already enough to start a petition against LA's remakes =)

• @Uzrname said: That's why I said that. To me it alludes to the fact that either whoever drew them was into Purcell's comics, or that they were already planning to do a game about his comics.

Well, er, maybe Steve Purcell himself put it there? I'm pretty sure he was an artist at LucasArts at that time.

• @StarEye said: Well, er, maybe Steve Purcell himself put it there? I'm pretty sure he was an artist at LucasArts at that time.

Maybe.
    Was he doing computer sprites too?

• Not sure. But at least, they had a thing for putting references, and not always the same media. I'm sure S&M wasn't the only reference in SMI.

• @Uzrname said: Senseless rage. I never "dismissed" Loom. I just didn't get it as a game, that's all. Hassat made a perfect comparison with Grim Fandango in CMI, that's exactly what I pointing out at. In 1997 this way funny. If you, for some reasons unknown, remake CMI, like, let's say, 7 years from now, and add the same Calavera with the same sticker - I'm sure younger audience would go "WTF" about it. It's undoubted.

When I first played Curse, I had never even heard of Grim Fandango. I still laughed a bit because I thought it was rather funny that there was a dead guy sitting in the chicken restaurant. Same with the Loom guy in Secret. I had never heard of Loom until he started talking about it, but I though the joke was hilarious.

• The special edition was great for the fantastic soundtrack alone. Everything else is just icing on the cake. :D

Although I think my absolute favorite thing about the SE is how Dominic Armato's "I'm Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate!" sounded exactly like it did in my head all those years ago. It's almost kinda creepy.

• @apenpaap said: I had never heard of Loom until he started talking about it, but I though the joke was hilarious.

Would you have found it hilarious if SE would've been the first MI game you play? Not the guy in particular, but what he was saying by late 2009 standards?

• @Uzrname said: Would you have found it hilarious if SE would've been the first MI game you play? Not the guy in particular, but what he was saying by late 2009 standards?

I first played it in 2005, I think, so I don't think it would've made much difference.

Add Comment