User Avatar Image

Lechuck? (Possible Spoilers)

posted by prizna on - last edited - Viewed by 329 users

Just a small poll on your ideas of Lechuck in the next Monkey Island game.

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've enjoyed have the voodoo lady as a more ambiguous figure in Tales. She definitely needed some development after 4 games of being a useful guide/quest giver and not much else. I think the best move would be not no explain away her motives (i.e LeChuck Voodoo spell) but not make her the an unquestionably evil antagonist. In fact I think ToMI is up with Revenge for having genuinely interesting and complex characters.

My main request for another MI game would be for there to be a good legend to uncover again. There have been few instances as enjoyable as discovering the fates of Marley's crew in MI2

• @Uzrname said: It was actually "men of low moral fiber" i.e. pirates, but I get your point.

Darn, I knew I was paraphrasing, but I thought I got it right. xD Oh well, it's a sign I need to go play Secret again...

@Uzrname said: the Caribbean start to slowly regain its pirateness, seeing as they're not afraid anymore. Many pirates start to try to take LeChuck's place, but suddenly comes Largo - he challenges Guybrush and tells him about yet another voodoo shenanigan that could potentially revive LeChuck.

This I could see. Wasn't it always mentioned that pirating was waning in the Caribbean because LeChuck was so powerful that he was even scaring other pirates? So once word spreads that he's gone, there'll be a sort of power vacuum that the rest of the pirates needs to fill. And, incidentally, this will probably create quite a few more bounties for Morgan to pursue.

A nice legend/myth arc is always fun. Something that spanned all of the episodes would be cool - you'd find out a little more each time, and fit the pieces together. Just like on Lost! But with more closure.

• Definitely. Secrets (uh-huh) always lie within the first games. What is the Secret of Monkey Island? Will LeChuck finally die for good? Will Stan finally learn that the only thing worth selling out there are his own jackets? We may never know.

• @Reaper Lyn said: This I could see. Wasn't it always mentioned that pirating was waning in the Caribbean because LeChuck was so powerful that he was even scaring other pirates? So once word spreads that he's gone, there'll be a sort of power vacuum that the rest of the pirates needs to fill. And, incidentally, this will probably create quite a few more bounties for Morgan to pursue.

I think we've only heard that in Secret, and even then it seemed to me they were only talking about Melee Island. In Curse, piracy seems not to be troubled by LeChuck.

• @apenpaap said: I think we've only heard that in Secret, and even then it seemed to me they were only talking about Melee Island. In Curse, piracy seems not to be troubled by LeChuck.

Correct, but that was the original idea. Make stories about LeChuck sound terrifying. Then it moved on. I meant to say the exact same thing: return to the original idea of being free from LeChuck.

• I'm bringing another card to the table, we all like LeChuck, but if the series were to continue, LeChuck CAN NOT be apart of it, main reason, Earl Boen is retired so I doubt he'll want to keep coming back to this. We've already had an attempt to replace him, which was a disaster in my ears, which leaves the option to either leave LeChuck out or return him to Human form and bring Kevin back.

• @Uzrname said: It was actually "men of low moral fiber" i.e. pirates, but I get your point.

And while at it, here's what I would've liked to happen in the next game: with LeChuck stuck in time/space for good now, the Caribbean start to slowly regain its pirateness, seeing as they're not afraid anymore. Many pirates start to try to take LeChuck's place, but suddenly comes Largo - he challenges Guybrush and tells him about yet another voodoo shenanigan that could potentially revive LeChuck. And while the two of them race each other in search for the ingredients: Guybrush to prevent this from happening and Largo to make it happen, they both bump into the Voodoo Lady who, gaining LeChuck's power, has started gaining lust for it

What would've been really wicked is Guybrush eventually journeying into the remains of LeChuck's mind, where he encounters weird things and people and finally learns some shocking truth (like LeChuck actually being his brother, or something), before confronting the final villain. There must be a huge twist in the storyline for this though.

You know what? That really, really could work quite well! I love the idea of a race between two crews! Maybe Guybrush, Morgan and Winslow against Largo, Kate Capsize, and what's left of LeChuck's skeleton army. And maybe the "venturing through LeChuck's mind" thing can be a result of a voodoo curse put upon them by the Voodoo Lady.

But, then again, I don't really want the Voodoo Lady to become a villain - I just want her to merely be a neutral force that keeps to herself (and occasionally lends Guybrush a hand). And I'm also not too keen on returning characters from previous games, but if the Voodoo Lady was intended to be a villain and Telltale were planning on returning Largo anyway, then this would be the perfect scenario.

LeChuck being Guybrush's borther? Bad idea, in my opinion.

• @Ash735 said: I'm bringing another card to the table, we all like LeChuck, but if the series were to continue, LeChuck CAN NOT be apart of it, main reason, Earl Boen is retired so I doubt he'll want to keep coming back to this. We've already had an attempt to replace him, which was a disaster in my ears, which leaves the option to either leave LeChuck out or return him to Human form and bring Kevin back.

I actually didn't mind Adam Harrington voicing LeChuck, and plus, if he were to voice him for several chapters, there is no doubt that he would get the hang of portraying the character, improve and ultimately fit the part a lot better. But, I really don't want LeChuck to be in the next MI game anyway - all of his evil plots are just the same thing over and over. Sure he's a good character and we all love him, but there's just no room for him in the story anymore. I'm not against bringing him back in for a later MI game, but it is absolutely essential that they leave LeChuck out of the next game entirely.

• @Ash735 said: I'm bringing another card to the table, we all like LeChuck, but if the series were to continue, LeChuck CAN NOT be apart of it, main reason, Earl Boen is retired so I doubt he'll want to keep coming back to this. We've already had an attempt to replace him, which was a disaster in my ears, which leaves the option to either leave LeChuck out or return him to Human form and bring Kevin back.

Dunno, sounds like a pretty shallow argument to me. Boen is still up for another couple of years, I know he turns what 70 like next year? His voice is irreproachable no matter how old he might sound. Then again, he might refuse, that yes. But if he does, I doubt they won't find another good replacement for LeChuck. I think even Kevin could do him, just take a bit deeper, meaner voice and here you go.

Speaking of voices (yeah yeah, off topic), the one I really didn't like was Morgan's. We all discussed here how she looks all cutie pie just to mesmerize her enemies, before taking on them. Well, I think that Rapp's voice is really unfitting for her in this case. It's high-pitched, kiddish and somewhat annoying to ears when you listen to it a lot, making her sound more like she's some kid at 90210 rather than a game character.

I've got nothing against Rapp thou, her voicing is good, she does kids astonishingly well. I'm just saying that it doesn't fit Morgan imo.

• @haydenwce27 said: Maybe Guybrush, Morgan and Winslow against Largo, Kate Capsize, and what's left of LeChuck's skeleton army.

I was thinking more these four against Largo who goes on re-hiring the three democratically united slackers (too bad Noogie's gone thou). That would be some crew - Largo yelling at everybody and the others just partying lol
    Or maybe not. But it's easy to find the right crew once you get the hang of the main plot idea there.

@haydenwce27 said: And maybe the "venturing through LeChuck's mind" thing can be a result of a voodoo curse put upon them by the Voodoo Lady.

[...]

But, then again, I don't really want the Voodoo Lady to become a villain - I just want her to merely be a neutral force that keeps to herself (and occasionally lends Guybrush a hand).

She wouldn't be necessarily evil in this case. I think that what they could do is portraying her lusting for that Lechuck's power, and when she finally gets it, she turns a bit demon-esque and starts doing nasty things. But then she would be overcome by Guybrush in the same episode (somewhere mid-game), and De Cava would show up, as usual accusing Guybrush of "nearly killing" his sweet love. Then somehow it would be found out that the evil lies deep inside the Voodoo Lady's mind and Guybrush must travel inside it in order to exterminate it.

This could be another episode in which Guybrush travels inside the Voodoo Lady's mind instead and finds a lot of strange stuff, only to encounter LeChuck at the end once more (in his flaming demon form this time). They would engage in battle and Guybrush would kick him off of her mind.

What happens next, I dunno. You think of the rest now =)

Add Comment