User Avatar Image

ToMI review/retrospective

posted by birky on - last edited - Viewed by 204 users

I'm currently attempting a 52 games in 52 weeks blog (originally started in response to my wife taking part in the 52 books in 52 weeks project).

for those of you interested, it's here.
(It's a big of a shameless plug, but at least it's relevant.)

To actually turn this into a worthwhile discussion, I found the more I've thought about ToMI the more I've enjoyed it. I loved the games, minus a couple of niggles, but I think the more I've gone back and pieced the plot back together the more I've enjoyed it's depth.

Has anyone else found this?

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Do you actually finish each game in a week?
    If so, quick question: where can I buy THAT much time?

• @birky said:
    To actually turn this into a worthwhile discussion, I found the more I've thought about ToMI the more I've enjoyed it. I loved the games, minus a couple of niggles, but I think the more I've gone back and pieced the plot back together the more I've enjoyed it's depth.

Has anyone else found this?

Yes, I've found that too. At first my reaction to the series was 'meh' and 'I hate the controls!', and I never got the series until after the fifth episode came out. (in retrospect that is a Good Thing because I would have gone INSANE waiting for Rise of the Pirate God to come out) And I was strongly inclined not to like Morgan because she was a new character and she wasn't Carla.

Boy did my opinion do a complete 180. The story hooked me by the end of Siege of Spinner Cay, and I played through both Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood and Rise of the Pirate God as fast as possible because I wanted to know what happened and how it would end. And Morgan managed to kick Carla out from the position of 'Favourite Character That Isn't Guybrush or Elaine', which Carla had been in since 1991. I can't chalk that up to the gameplay since you don't play as Morgan, that's purely down to the writing.

I've now gone back and replayed my way through the entire series in much more depth, and yeah, now I appreciate the storyline and plot a lot more. Maybe if I hadn't spent most of Launch of the Screaming Narwhal going "OMG THIS IS DIFFERENT I'M AFRAID OF CHANGE!" then I would have appreciated the writing more at the time. The other thing I've noticed a lot more in replays is how a lot of the music in Tales is based on music from the earlier games, and I really like that, it's a nice touch. But my favourite aspects of the game by far are the writing and the voice acting, more than the puzzles, more than the visuals, it's the story that really makes me love Tales.

• @Uzrname said: Do you actually finish each game in a week?
    If so, quick question: where can I buy THAT much time?

Not quite,I reckon I played episodes 3-5 in a week though.

Leviathan came out the same month I got married, so between that and a new house and Christmas etc. I'd been waiting for a chance to pick up the series again.

And Morgan managed to kick Carla out from the position of 'Favourite Character That Isn't Guybrush or Elaine', which Carla had been in since 1991. I can't chalk that up to the gameplay since you don't play as Morgan, that's purely down to the writing.

Yeah at first I was worried Morgan was going to be irritating, and an excuse to get Elaine out ofand the way to give Guybrush a new love interest. Actually I thought Telltale handled it really well, and I ended up thinking Morgan was one of the best things about the series.

• @birky said: Yeah at first I was worried Morgan was going to be irritating, and an excuse to get Elaine out ofand the way to give Guybrush a new love interest. Actually I thought Telltale handled it really well, and I ended up thinking Morgan was one of the best things about the series.

That's the same way I felt, including the way Telltale handled it. If they had used Morgan to supplant Elaine as Guybrush's love interest I would have wound up hating her with a capital HAET. As it was, I really liked the way it turned out, especially Morgan having obvious feelings for Guybrush and Guybrush being too clueless/worried about other things to notice. Even though I'm a fan of Guybrush/Elaine, that still made me feel for her.

• I was so pissed with Guybrush for being clueless. Of course it's just like him...
    I wasn't expecting him to leave Elaine and run off with Morgan, but at least acknowledging her feelings could have made the rejection less cruel. I really felt for her.

And at the same time Elaine was becoming gradually more and more evil and annoying. Although I hated her the most in chapter 2.
    She's just never been a character I liked at all.

Anyway, in the end I'm glad they're still together and stuff, but I was pissed with both of them.

• @avistew said: I was so pissed with Guybrush for being clueless. Of course it's just like him...
    I wasn't expecting him to leave Elaine and run off with Morgan, but at least acknowledging her feelings could have made the rejection less cruel. I really felt for her.

If he did, I also might've prevented Morgan from whacking him over the back of the head with the handle of her sword and delivering him to De Singe.

• @avistew said:
    And at the same time Elaine was becoming gradually more and more evil and annoying. Although I hated her the most in chapter 2.
    She's just never been a character I liked at all.

If your point here is to say that the more Morgan got a grip on her personality, the more Elaine lost it in the game - I totally share that. Because, when she turned evil, maybe they meant us to feel pity for her, as in poor Elaine, but I instead felt bad for Morgan. At some point near the end, when Elaine rejects Guybrush and he travels back into the rip (btw I think it's one of the most sensitive scenes in the whole series), I really wished he'd turn to Morgan instead, especially seeing as both are ghosts now etc etc.

But then we wouldn't have had to turn him into a zombie, would we? =)

• @Uzrname said: At some point near the end, when Elaine rejects Guybrush and he travels back into the rip (btw I think it's one of the most sensitive scenes in the whole series), I really wished he'd turn to Morgan instead, especially seeing as both are ghosts now etc etc.

Yeah, for a second I thought, they could be ghosts together and stay there or whatever... But yeah, that wasn't going to happen :P

• It's interesting how many people dislike Elaine. I never knew she wasn't that popular.

I guess this means they should make her look a little younger and centre the next series on her - making it a story where she earns Guybrush's and the fans' love, instead of just having it by default. That'b be a hell of a Monkey game.

Though, even if she was a little annoying, I thought she'd redeemed herself completely by the time Trial ended. One thing I do find a little off-putting is that she says a lot of very grown-up British things in this game, whereas she almost sounded, I dunno, modern or American in the first two (had barely any lines in the third; don't remember her much in the fourth). There has to be a balance between her older, ironically more "modern" version and the British one in CMI/Tales. I doubt her having said "buckets" to Guybrush's "Did you miss me?" would count as such.

• @Kroms said: I guess this means they should make her look a little younger and centre the next series on her

Huh? Where dd you see that she should be younger? That seems a weird reasoning.

I didn't find her redeemed in the end at all. She has that "I know-it-all, I'm doing my own thing without warning anyone even though it might create more trouble for everybody" thing that I really don't like. And she's manipulative and insulting to Guybrush, like she thinks he's stupid or something. It's really her condescending tone that I don't like.
    In chapter two, the way she just forces her way on Guybrush made my "meh" feeling for her go towards hatred. She was so horrible, it disgusted me. It just feels like she thinks he's her "thing and that she can do whatever she wants, decide, and he'll be forced to follow.

I really didn't like that aspect of her. So no, the end where it's revealed that she had a plan all along and hid it, unless of course she's lying and just pretending she knew all along, didn't redeem her in any way to me. In both ways it made her look pretentious and caring more about being right than her husband's well-being.

It's still possible her attitude will be explained in future seasons, mind you, but for now I really dislike her.

Add Comment