User Avatar Image

How old is Guybrush exactly?

posted by Flah on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

Something has been bugging me. And it's shaped like Morgan Leflay. She claims that she's been following Guybrush Threepwood's piratey exploits all her life, ever since she was a little child. Though, to be honest Morgan doesn't look incredibly young, compared to Guybrush.

I would guess that Guybrush is, at most, in his early twenties. And he likely started pirating on Melee Island at age sixteen at the earliest (the standard age for a callow youth with a fantastic destiny ahead of him). He's certainly not scarred nor grizzled enough to have been a pirate for that since then. And he's still got his boyish good looks. In the Monkey Island continuity, we can be fairly sure that the events that have taken place so far have spanned over a period of no more than ten years. Likely even less than that.

So the question I have to ask is... Isn't Morgan a little bit well-developed for someone in her early teens?

54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @avistew said: Morgan might be 20 or so, meaning she'd be 10 at the time of Secret, and followed Guybrush since then.

I'ma say she's at least 21. Bartenders in the Caribbean seem to be pretty good about carding, even if they're lax on making sure the ID is actually valid.

As for Guybrush, I've said all I have to say on that. He's 19 in MI2 and 20 in Curse, anything other than that is speculation, though you can take a pretty good guess at his age the rest of the time.

• @GuruGuru214 said: I'ma say she's at least 21. Bartenders in the Caribbean seem to be pretty good about carding, even if they're lax on making sure the ID is actually valid.

Personally I think Morgan's about 19. As Guybrush has proven, it's not too hard to get a fake ID in the MI world.

I think Guybrush is 17 or 18 in Secret, as already mentioned we know he's 19 in MI2 and 20 in Curse. I also agree with the theory that Tales takes place 10 years after Secret, which would make him 27-28. And I do think that Elaine is a bit older than him so yeah, she'd be about 30 in Tales.

• I don't know, Morgan just feels older than that to me. Then again, I'm 22 and perceive myself as being less mature than a lot of other 22 year olds, so maybe my perception is off.

• I don't get why so many people are sure about Guybrush's age in LeChuck's Revenge. All we have to go by is a dialogue option that says "Ninet... uhh, twenty-one." (or something like that) in response to the librarian asking about his age. How is this a guarantee that Guybrush is 19? Maybe he was just throwing that number out, but changed it to 21 to be able to get a drink at the bar.

Truth is, the first time I played the game I thought he was about to say ninety - because, if I recall correctly, he says "ninet..." and not "ninete..." - and since then I have dismissed the line as another silly joke. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but I was young, English isn't my first language, and I'm sometimes incredibly thick. My point is that it could just be a joke, as could his guild membership card in Curse. Then again, all references to his age are probably jokes. :)

I always imagined him around 20 in Secret, quite a bit older in MI2 (22 or 23) and 25 in MI3. But those numbers are just how I originally perceived him, without Guruguru-lly over-analysing things.

Morgan is 22 or 23. That's what my gut tells me. I realise I'm not contributing much to the debate here, I'm just sharing my initial impressions. Sorry for the lack of substance. :p

• Guys, don't base your deductions on legal drinking age. The whole story is supposedly happening during the piracy era (i.e. 1700 or so), it's unlikely there was ANY form of ID back then. So it's not actually proven you need to be either 18 or 21 to drink there.

Plus, it's only a joke.

But I still think Morgan's 20. Or 21 (if you still consider the drinking age limit).

• I still stick to the 19 and 20 being his only "canon" ages. The 19 could be a joke, but still, in MI3 he uses his real age to trick a pirate at the fair, and he's 20 at the time. I doubt he'd fake a card to make him appear younger than he is so I'm going to say that's his age in MI3. What with there being 3 months between 2 and 3, Guybrush still being 19 in MI2 makes sense, so I'm taking it as his real age and not a throwaway joke.

But I agree that everything else is purely speculation. I still think he could have been 16 or 17 in Secret (if we are to believe the reference to three years is a reference to the time between MI1 and MI2): if he celebrated his birthday between MI2 and MI3, then he could either have been 16 but almost 17 (then three years later he's 19 but almost 20), or had turned 17 recently (then by "three years later" Elaine might be referring to two years and ten months for instance, but not bothering being that specific).

• @avistew said: I still think he could have been 16 or 17 in Secret (if we are to believe the reference to three years is a reference to the time between MI1 and MI2)

Once again, that would make sense for him being 17 in SMI and 19 in LCR (two years between the games, actually).

It's him being 27 in Tales that I still can't quite cope with.

• @Uzrname said: It's him being 27 in Tales that I still can't quite cope with.

Well, someone had the theory that the "ten years" were a reference to the time since Escape came out rather than the time that elapsed in-game.
    However, that wouldn't explain how Morgan could have followed Guybrush "since she was a little girl".

• @Uzrname said: Guys, don't base your deductions on legal drinking age. The whole story is supposedly happening during the piracy era (i.e. 1700 or so), it's unlikely there was ANY form of ID back then. So it's not actually proven you need to be either 18 or 21 to drink there.

Plus, it's only a joke.

Well, it's not just a joke, getting an ID card is a puzzle too.

There obviously were no government enforced drinking age in the carribean in the 18th century, but in the Monkey Island universe, or at least on Scabb Island, there is. It's likely to assume that that drinking age is 21 for two main reasons: First, All the answers you can give about your age to the librarian are "21", with various hesitations, indicating that Guybrush is lying. Secondly, the Monkey Island universe is not a historically correct representation of 18th century pirate life in the carribean, but rather a pastiche of that said era, intertwined with a Flintstones-like emulation of the modern world, and in California (where Lucasarts is located) and the rest of the US, the legal drinking age is 21.

• @Avistew said:
    However, that wouldn't explain how Morgan could have followed Guybrush "since she was a little girl".

She's exaggerating cos she's a fan girl.

Add Comment