User Avatar Image

Would a point and click calvin and hobbes game work?

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 332 users

Now I figure there is alot of calvin and hobbes fans on here..So I will ask this. Do u think a point and click video game based on the comic book would work? I know it would never happen because Bill watterson is too strict about the rights on the characters.

But I think a point and click calvin and hobbes game could work, because the universe of it could work well. So what do u think?

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've never read the comics, but from what I've seen, it could be good - if they nailed that art style. I'd imagine it'd be hard to nail in 3D. Not sure why it's funny, though.

• I adore Calvin & Hobbes. I almost have all the books. Just need like 4 more to complete the collection.

Would a P&C C&H work? I really don't know. I guess like anything else it'd have to be done right.

And without voices.

• @MusicallyInspired said:
    And without voices.

Really? Why?

• I can't picture C&H with voices and I like it that way. Bill Watterson said the same thing regarding an animated series saying he'd prefer to leave the voices to the imagination of the fans, although animation was something he was always interested in doing with C&H.

I'd settle for a 2D AGS P&C C&H game by adoring fans (with the talent and skill to pull it off).

• @MusicallyInspired said: I can't picture C&H with voices and I like it that way. Bill Watterson said the same thing regarding an animated series saying he'd prefer to leave the voices to the imagination of the fans, although animation was something he was always interested in doing with C&H.

I'd settle for a 2D AGS P&C C&H game by adoring fans (with the talent and skill to pull it off).

Except no one at AGS wants to make one because they all want to honor Watterson. I've thought about doing it many times, but I've never been able to think of a good story. And everyone I know always tells me not to do it.

• If it was an adventure game made at least fifteen years ago... maybe. Bill Watterson said in one of his books he doesn't want anybody giving Calvin an "actors voice", and voice acting is crucial in video games today.

• I just wanted to say that "Calvin & Hobbes" sounds like a kettle manufacturer.

• Ignoring Watterson's issues with merchandising and the fact that nobody wants to have the voices they pictured in their heads replaced...I think a Calvin and Hobbes episodic game would end up very much like SBCG4AP. One episode would be a Spaceman Spiff adventure, the next a Stupendous Man story, the December episode would be a fight against the Snow Goons...that sort of thing, exploring Calvin's rich fantasy world

• and of course what wouldn't be fun about that?

I think it would work on many levels, but yeah, never going to happen.

I would love to take control of a G.R.O.S.S. mission that's doomed to fail though

• There's so much potential. Too bad everyone's too scared or too noble to do it. Like I said before, it doesn't have to have voices. I'd be perfectly happy with subtitles. But, as you say, it will never happen.

Add Comment