User Avatar Image

St. Valentine others love to celebrate it others hate. What are your plans?

posted by Everlast on - last edited - Viewed by 343 users

Well im out of money but i have a relationship w/ my girlfriend for 6 yrs. We plan to hang out and maybe go eat or sightseeing, or maybe go to the beach (Where i live the temperature is 80 to 90 degrees F).

But i was wondering what you guys plan out on doing in St. Valentines and if smeone will reveal their love to someone.

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • What's a valentine, anyways? Is it like a card that tells someone you have feelings for them, or a joke? I remember they let us make cute little paper cards at school, and then banned them in and any Valentine's-related activities in second grade (too bad, because I really wanted to tell this girl I liked her in 3rd grade). So I've never known what Valentine's is, except that it's the day I see cheesy hearts, girls with fluttering eyes and men who seem to have forgotten how to step their eyes from rolling.

To me, Valentine has always been an amusing time of year, because I've never been on a date on Valentine's Day. I've had girlfriends, sure - but either they're away on Valentine's (their family decides to go on a trip), or we just happen to break up a few weeks before. In one case, one day before, only to make-up the day after.

Anyways, the only tradition I have on Valentine's is eat a large bag of vinegar chips, find myself amused at how people react to it ("Love should be celebrated EVERY DAY!"/"Stupid-ass conformity!"/"Happy Singles Day!"), and then spend the day reading, of all things. So, you know.

Wish I'd get a card, though. Stupid school. They banned Halloween the year afterwards.

• The same thing I do every year - try to take over the world!!!

• today, since i'm in school and Valentine's Day is on a weekend, i plan to give a great big hug to all the girls in my school that i like. i also made a valentine comic. that's pretty funny too.

• My husband has the 14th off this year, so we've decided to have a pic-nic, by which I mean eat sushi in bed (you're not getting me out in the snow, no siree).

But we do that relatively often so I'm not sure if it counts as a "special plan" or not.

• @Kroms said: What's a valentine, anyways?

I think that Valentine, Mother's day and Dad's day are there to promote consumer behavior to spend, spend, and more spending in gifts. Stores live for the holiday seasons. But anyway I also cant admit that Valentine's Day provides the opportunity to express your feelings in a creative way to the person you like the most.

You can take that day to buy some roses and give it to all your friends or if you are feeling in a flirty mood go and give it to the most beautifull girls you encounter in the day.

• I just can't get up any feelings about V-Day one way or another. I literally don't care about it, even though I thoroughly dislike mindless consumerism. Then again it seems like most of the time when I hear people talk about it, it's to bash the day, and talk about how it sucks not to have a girlfriend/boyfriend. Also, and this might sound weird, it seems like guys complain about it way more than women do. Maybe because it's marketed more towards men? I mean, no guys don't stereotypically want a dozen red roses or a diamond heart pendant, but it is guys who generally buy them.

• I'm quite anti-V-Day, as I've ranted before in another thread. Consumerism and "mandated romance days" aside, I just strongly dislike everything about it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm very much into the whole "romantic" thing. It's my main driving force in life. But when it becomes an obligation, there's something wrong. I mean, more power to those who enjoy it. I don't judge. I simply hate how it's marketed toward people, as if there's something fundamentally wrong with you if you aren't rushing home with a bouquet and a box of chocolates in your hands.

And god forbid you go out in public on V-Day without a significant other. Suddenly you're showered with looks of pity as far as the eye can see as everybody assumes that you're some down-on-his-luck loser instead of just some guy out for a walk.

• @Lena_P said: Also, and this might sound weird, it seems like guys complain about it way more than women do. Maybe because it's marketed more towards men? I mean, no guys don't stereotypically want a dozen red roses or a diamond heart pendant, but it is guys who generally buy them.

Or maybe guys complain about it because there are so many lonely men out there who get couples shoved in their face that day.

Also, I hate Valentines Day.

• My only gripe about Valentine is the fact you can go out alone that day because you want.

In the other side, with this days where everyone is always busy and running, a day that practically force you to do something with your couple is not always that bad.

Anyway, in Valentine I'll be working as a slave of my mom carring stuff for her vacation. With my sister too, of course.

Add Comment