User Avatar Image

High School Musical

posted by GaryCXJk on - last edited - Viewed by 474 users

Okay, let's start by saying I love High School Musical. That having said, I think people are stupid. Not because they hate on shows and / or movies like High School Musical without even watching it, but for condemning people who actually do love these shows.

There's a reason TV Tropes has a special tropes page for it, and have it a subtrope of Hate Dumb. To me, it's okay to not like High School Musical, yes, even if you haven't watched the movies. But I think it's fairly stupid to hate the people or kids who like it.

Sure, High School Musical is for kids, mostly for those of young age. But who cares? I don't berate you if you like to watch The Godfather, I know a lot of people who find the trilogy boring as hell, me being one of them. I actually applaud you for liking In The Name Of The King: A Dungeon Siege's Tale, one of the few Uwe Boll movies I happen to like. I have a big disliking to certain stuff that's mostly a local trend. I have a very disliking towards Hannah Montana, but mostly due to the fact that Dutch dubs are pretty stupid. I absolutely think Lost is terrible, just like Sex And The City and Desperate Housewives. But I can understand if people like any of the above. These series or movies were made for a specific demographic. Most are not made for people like me. There have been a lot of crappy kids cartoons on television, but then I think, I'm not a kid anymore. Sure, I love Phineas and Ferb, Filmore! and Kim Possible, and they're not exactly made for me. But still, most of these shows are up to the kids themselves to decide. When I was younger, I knew which shows I liked and which I didn't, so I am pretty much sure that kids nowadays still have their own opinions about television kids shows (although they don't really have a perfect judgement about everything, seeing as the kids top hits list is still filled with kids unfriendly songs).

Thing is, I like High School Musical. What do I like? At least it's not the plot, seeing as it's pretty generic for the first two. To me, it's mostly the songs and the dynamic between the actors. And the third does have a rather unique take on the entire plot. It most definitely is a Disney worthy movie. It's not really that I can't explain why I think High School Musical is great. It's that I shouldn't, because you have to make up for yourself why you like or don't like it. Although I do have to say that to like it requires you to look past the stereotyping of each character for the first two movies. The third movie throws any form of stereotyping away, as it is a conclusion to the first two movies.

To someone who doesn't actually watch the movies, only see the movies, it seems as if it promotes shallowness. That's partially true for the later movies and pretty obvious in the first movie, but throughout the movies this image gets thrown into the garbage disposal unit more and more as time goes by. It also doesn't really glorify high school. Sure it draws a more perfect image of high school, but what movie doesn't do that? It's pretty close minded to not allow your kids the pleasure of seeing a perfect world, just to shield them from disappointments. You don't protect them, you only make them more pessimistic, therefore ruining their chances of actually trying to get better. It's this perfect image of a world that thrives kids to actually achieve a happy ending for themselves. Sure, a lot won't make it to such ending, but it's the journey towards it that makes it all worth while, even if you don't achieve your goals. It's the dream that pushes us to actually live.

But anyway, I'm pretty tired. I don't need to do this. I don't need to tell people that it's fairly stupid to call on people just because they like something you don't. It's common knowledge.

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I was going to explain why it's a perfectly natural thing for people to be annoyed with and rebel against something overly talked about and praised, (IE. Cameron's Avatar) but it seems this isn't your point. I guess your point is less about High School Musical in general and more about how people are silly for looking down upon people who have different taste, which I guess would apply to ANYTHING. So yeah, I'm not seeing much to discuss about in this topic, most everyone would probably just quickly agree with you. :|

• exactly, the only show I dont see how anyone likes it is Naruto. or at least the dub.

I dont annoy people with how much I think things suck, people ask if I like naruto, I say I never liked it, and then they say I suck for not liking it.

no you suck for telling me I suck for not liking something, I don't like a lot of popular things. I don't like Napoleon Dynamite, I didnt really like Recess or Filmore (I never understood filmore) but I see why some people like it. My thinking is, you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't necessarily want to hear it, don't tell me if I didn't ask.

• This is how I tend to react to it:

YOUR OPINION IS WRONG AND I AM RIGHT! PWN!

• People who hate people who hate / dislike things are just as bad as people who hate people who like things.

Thing is, I pretty much dislike the fact that people just find people who like HSM are "ghey".

• I just generally dislike everybody. Don't take it personally. :D

• I think when someone really loves something, they just don't get that other people might not like it. If someone tells me they really don't like X, where X is something I absolutely adore, I'm all "really? That's weird, because it rocks my world!".
    So some people might try to convince you, which, I agree, is extremely annoying.

And when lots of people all like something, and you hear about it all the time, you can develop some kind of rejection or disgust for it. Take Harry Potter. I started reading them in 98 or 99, when it wasn't that big, so I escape the huge wave. But after it became so popular, even I was getting fed up with some of the fans.
    My best friend never read the books because she was just turned off by the whole thing. She admits it's silly to refuse reading something just because of how popular it is, but it's just visceral, and I can totally understand it even though I'm sure she'd love them.
    So sometimes, the whole "I'm sick of this thing" might leap from the thing to the fans, I guess.

Either way, it's ridiculous. Of course everyone has their own tastes, and you shouldn't go "shame on you" because someone likes or dislike something that happens to be "cool" right now. Whether they discovered it before or after it was cool is also irrelevant (I'm so sick of the people who go "I liked X before it was cool, so I'm better than you". You can't be aware of everything that exists, and sometimes you hear about things when they're already famous... That makes perfect sense. Nobody is less of a fan just because they discovered something later than someone else did).

I think in both cases, what happens is people feel personally insulted or even assaulted. In the case of someone who doesn't like what you live for, you might feel like they're telling you your whole life revolves around something stupid, and get annoyed with that. And in the case of people who love something you don't like, hearing them talk about it all the time can definitely get on your nerve.

Just trying to explain why I think it happens. Then of course there is mob mentality, for the people who just follow something because it's cool, or go against it because it's cool to be against cool things. You know what I mean. These people just base their tastes on what other people like or dislike, so of course it's going to matter to them what you like or dislike. Not that I'm trying to excuse them, I think it's pretty silly to do that in the first place, rather than base what you like on just your own feelings. But you can't deny there are a lot of people like that.

And finally, if you're talking about the Internet, don't forget that being abusive is almost the neutral tone on the Internet. People get over enthusiastic about things, and it's easier to evacuate your rage when there isn't an actual person in front of you that you might be afraid to hurt. I say that because I'm guilty of it, too, sometimes I get extremely emotional, use very strong words and then I'm too ashamed to come back to a specific forum for days or week. Not that I think I tend to try and convince people to like or dislike a specific thing or else they're stupid, but you never know, I might have done that, too.

• @GaryCXJk said: Okay, let's start by saying I love High School Musical. That having said, I think people are stupid. Not because they hate on shows and / or movies like High School Musical without even watching it, but for condemning people who actually do love these shows.

There's a reason TV Tropes has a special tropes page for it, and have it a subtrope of Hate Dumb. To me, it's okay to not like High School Musical, yes, even if you haven't watched the movies. But I think it's fairly stupid to hate the people or kids who like it.

Sure, High School Musical is for kids, mostly for those of young age. But who cares? I don't berate you if you like to watch The Godfather, I know a lot of people who find the trilogy boring as hell, me being one of them. I actually applaud you for liking In The Name Of The King: A Dungeon Siege's Tale, one of the few Uwe Boll movies I happen to like. I have a big disliking to certain stuff that's mostly a local trend. I have a very disliking towards Hannah Montana, but mostly due to the fact that Dutch dubs are pretty stupid. I absolutely think Lost is terrible, just like Sex And The City and Desperate Housewives. But I can understand if people like any of the above. These series or movies were made for a specific demographic. Most are not made for people like me. There have been a lot of crappy kids cartoons on television, but then I think, I'm not a kid anymore. Sure, I love Phineas and Ferb, Filmore! and Kim Possible, and they're not exactly made for me. But still, most of these shows are up to the kids themselves to decide. When I was younger, I knew which shows I liked and which I didn't, so I am pretty much sure that kids nowadays still have their own opinions about television kids shows (although they don't really have a perfect judgement about everything, seeing as the kids top hits list is still filled with kids unfriendly songs).

Thing is, I like High School Musical. What do I like? At least it's not the plot, seeing as it's pretty generic for the first two. To me, it's mostly the songs and the dynamic between the actors. And the third does have a rather unique take on the entire plot. It most definitely is a Disney worthy movie. It's not really that I can't explain why I think High School Musical is great. It's that I shouldn't, because you have to make up for yourself why you like or don't like it. Although I do have to say that to like it requires you to look past the stereotyping of each character for the first two movies. The third movie throws any form of stereotyping away, as it is a conclusion to the first two movies.

To someone who doesn't actually watch the movies, only see the movies, it seems as if it promotes shallowness. That's partially true for the later movies and pretty obvious in the first movie, but throughout the movies this image gets thrown into the garbage disposal unit more and more as time goes by. It also doesn't really glorify high school. Sure it draws a more perfect image of high school, but what movie doesn't do that? It's pretty close minded to not allow your kids the pleasure of seeing a perfect world, just to shield them from disappointments. You don't protect them, you only make them more pessimistic, therefore ruining their chances of actually trying to get better. It's this perfect image of a world that thrives kids to actually achieve a happy ending for themselves. Sure, a lot won't make it to such ending, but it's the journey towards it that makes it all worth while, even if you don't achieve your goals. It's the dream that pushes us to actually live.

But anyway, I'm pretty tired. I don't need to do this. I don't need to tell people that it's fairly stupid to call on people just because they like something you don't. It's common knowledge.

Well, I can see I'm not the only troll here.

• I hate people who hate me for hating High School Musical. 'Nuff said.

• I hate High School Musical because now I have to put up with umpteen billion little brats singing the crap songs over and over to the point where I feel like smashing my head in with the drill from Bioshock 2. And that is my solid, Unchangeable opinion.

• Incidentally, while we're at it, I have no clue what "High School Musical" even IS.

Add Comment