User Avatar Image

High School Musical

posted by GaryCXJk on - last edited - Viewed by 432 users

Okay, let's start by saying I love High School Musical. That having said, I think people are stupid. Not because they hate on shows and / or movies like High School Musical without even watching it, but for condemning people who actually do love these shows.

There's a reason TV Tropes has a special tropes page for it, and have it a subtrope of Hate Dumb. To me, it's okay to not like High School Musical, yes, even if you haven't watched the movies. But I think it's fairly stupid to hate the people or kids who like it.

Sure, High School Musical is for kids, mostly for those of young age. But who cares? I don't berate you if you like to watch The Godfather, I know a lot of people who find the trilogy boring as hell, me being one of them. I actually applaud you for liking In The Name Of The King: A Dungeon Siege's Tale, one of the few Uwe Boll movies I happen to like. I have a big disliking to certain stuff that's mostly a local trend. I have a very disliking towards Hannah Montana, but mostly due to the fact that Dutch dubs are pretty stupid. I absolutely think Lost is terrible, just like Sex And The City and Desperate Housewives. But I can understand if people like any of the above. These series or movies were made for a specific demographic. Most are not made for people like me. There have been a lot of crappy kids cartoons on television, but then I think, I'm not a kid anymore. Sure, I love Phineas and Ferb, Filmore! and Kim Possible, and they're not exactly made for me. But still, most of these shows are up to the kids themselves to decide. When I was younger, I knew which shows I liked and which I didn't, so I am pretty much sure that kids nowadays still have their own opinions about television kids shows (although they don't really have a perfect judgement about everything, seeing as the kids top hits list is still filled with kids unfriendly songs).

Thing is, I like High School Musical. What do I like? At least it's not the plot, seeing as it's pretty generic for the first two. To me, it's mostly the songs and the dynamic between the actors. And the third does have a rather unique take on the entire plot. It most definitely is a Disney worthy movie. It's not really that I can't explain why I think High School Musical is great. It's that I shouldn't, because you have to make up for yourself why you like or don't like it. Although I do have to say that to like it requires you to look past the stereotyping of each character for the first two movies. The third movie throws any form of stereotyping away, as it is a conclusion to the first two movies.

To someone who doesn't actually watch the movies, only see the movies, it seems as if it promotes shallowness. That's partially true for the later movies and pretty obvious in the first movie, but throughout the movies this image gets thrown into the garbage disposal unit more and more as time goes by. It also doesn't really glorify high school. Sure it draws a more perfect image of high school, but what movie doesn't do that? It's pretty close minded to not allow your kids the pleasure of seeing a perfect world, just to shield them from disappointments. You don't protect them, you only make them more pessimistic, therefore ruining their chances of actually trying to get better. It's this perfect image of a world that thrives kids to actually achieve a happy ending for themselves. Sure, a lot won't make it to such ending, but it's the journey towards it that makes it all worth while, even if you don't achieve your goals. It's the dream that pushes us to actually live.

But anyway, I'm pretty tired. I don't need to do this. I don't need to tell people that it's fairly stupid to call on people just because they like something you don't. It's common knowledge.

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @avistew said: Incidentally, while we're at it, I have no clue what "High School Musical" even IS.

You have no idea how fortunate you are.

Here's the trailer for the second film, if you wish to end your state of blissful ignorance.

• I think one of the main reasons people hate it is because it is the symbol of 'new' Disney. Old disney produced films that were likable by people of all ages, and taught valuable life lessons, where as now (or at least during the past few years) they produce this pre-teen only stuff. Nowadays, if i go into the disney store, it's full of HSM stuff, and not filled with childhood memories of Lion King, or classic films like that.

But then again, What disney have made previously will always be available, so it's really not that bad.

Personally, i really dislike HSM. I tried watching it when HSM2 was on the TV a while back. I tuned in during some song about sunbathing or something, and i just felt the singing, the lyrics, and the american high-school-ness of it were just awful. I turned it off after 2 minutes. Maybe if i had given it a little longer, i might have mildly better feelings towards it, but i really despised it.

• High School Musical 2 is the worst of the three, kind of like the Temple of Doom is generally liked the least by most Indiana Jones fans.

• See, I wouldn't know. I just searched YouTube for 'High School Musical Trailer' and that was the only non-fan made one I saw.

• Being a parent of 11 year old girls I have seen the first two with them and I can honestly say I find them annoying, poorly acted, and incredibly stupid.... But I also know I was not the target market for these types of movies.

• @Friar said: I think one of the main reasons people hate it is because it is the symbol of 'new' Disney. Old disney produced films that were likable by people of all ages, and taught valuable life lessons, where as now (or at least during the past few years) they produce this pre-teen only stuff. Nowadays, if i go into the disney store, it's full of HSM stuff, and not filled with childhood memories of Lion King, or classic films like that.

Actually, I never saw it as the symbol of 'new' Disney. Instead, I saw it as the symbol of Disney Channel, which I despise (I did enjoy Kim Possible and House of Mouse, though), and I've always seen the creations of Disney and Disney Channel as two different things. Disney made The Princess And The Frog, Meet The Robinsons, Enchanted, etc., and I can still enjoy some of them, while Disney Channel made High School Musical and all those pre-teen stuff.

Oh, and Pixar's still here, so there's nothing to worry about.

• I miss those Disney Channel shows made in Australia. Yes, "Ocean Girl" had the most unimaginative name ever, but it did have beautiful cinematography.

• @tredlow said: Actually, I never saw it as the symbol of 'new' Disney. Instead, I saw it as the symbol of Disney Channel, which I despise (I did enjoy Kim Possible and House of Mouse, though), and I've always seen the creations of Disney and Disney Channel as two different things. Disney made The Princess And The Frog, Meet The Robinsons, Enchanted, etc., and I can still enjoy some of them, while Disney Channel made High School Musical and all those pre-teen stuff.

Oh, and Pixar's still here, so there's nothing to worry about.

I don't think the princess and the frog is out over here yet. And the other two films, whilst reasonably good, missed the classic disney charm. They all played a part in disney's new direction. Pixar on the other hand has always remained constant, although i didn't think they were owned by disney as such.

• I have no Idea, what's going on in this OMG MY EYES!

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Friar said: I don't think the princess and the frog is out over here yet.

The Princess and the Frog is out in the UK (it's showing in cinemas now).

@Friar said: Pixar on the other hand has always remained constant, although i didn't think they were owned by disney as such.

Pixar has been owned by Disney for a few years now. John Lasseter is the head of both studios.

Maybe one factor in Pixar's consistent awesomeness is that they've been making movies for a much shorter time than Disney, hence less time to screw up the track record. ;)

Add Comment