User Avatar Image

Show us some linux love - Linux Port?

posted by pirate132 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Since Tales of Monkey Island will be ported to Mac I would like to ask if it will be possible to make a Linux port too.
Perhaps there are some more linux users who would like to play it natively on their system, if so, raise your hand!

Are there enough linux users out there who would like to play Monkey Island (without any emulation/Wine/VM) on linux?

110 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Remolay said: What does WINE actually stand for anyway? I know the joke of WINE is Not an Emulator.

Isn't it WinE btw, i.e. "Windows Emulation"?

• Well, while I only ever use Linux on servers I'm sure there's quite some untapped (monetary et al :D) potential in porting Telltale's games on Linux... but ultimately it's of course up to them.

• If Telltale Games would start making Linux versions I'd buy the games again for that!

So far I've been able to play the games okay via wine/cxgames but native gaming is always native gaming.

• @Uzrname said: Isn't it WinE btw, i.e. "Windows Emulation"?

Nope, it's "Wine Is Not an Emulator."

• What about We Ignore Neccessary Enhancements, based on the way they seem to reject commits that fill in big holes in what is supported.

Still a fantastic piece of software though.

• @jpalko said: Nope, it's "Wine Is Not an Emulator."

That doesn't make any sense since nobody knows what "wine" itself is in this case. The original acronym stood for "win emulation", hence all the rest.

• I would definitely support a linux port. I just recently started playing ToMI because of the mac port available, and now that I can play at work, it would be nice to be able to play at home as well (/me runs mac at work, linux at home).

Wine really isn't an emulator, its an implementation of the windows api for linux (and mac, *bsd, ... etc.).

Also, IMO, people who run primarily linux also hate DRM, so it would almost be pointless throwing up a linux version with DRM. Although I have had no issues with the DRM of ToMI yet, and applaud the developers for not using some of the crazy systems other developers use, I can see that being a reason not to buy any of these games for linux users.

That being said, I would grab a linux version the moment it becomes available, DRM or not :)

Cheers,
    -Andrew

• @Uzrname said: That doesn't make any sense since nobody knows what "wine" itself is in this case.

It's a running gag in the Unix/Linux-world. It does not have to make sense at all.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@ChemBro said: It's a running gag in the Unix/Linux-world. It does not have to make sense at all.

It can be expressed in BNF as:
    <Wine> ::= <Wine> 'Is Not an Emulator'

Or in Java as:
    public String Wine() {
    return Wine() + \"Is Not an Emulator\";
    }

If you learn about recursive functions for the first time that usually leaves a certain impression. Look at a classic example, Fibonacci.

long fib(unsigned long n) {
    if (n <= 1) {
    return n;
    } else {
    return fib(n-1)+fib(n-2);
    }
    }

You write a function by using the function you are currently writing as if it was already working, which might seem kind of absurd if you're new to it.
    Recursive acronyms probably don't make more sense to you now, but at least i got you to read this geek stuff.

• @DjNDB said: It can be expressed in BNF as:
    <Wine> ::= <Wine> 'Is Not an Emulator'

Or in Java as:
    public String Wine() {
    return Wine() + \"Is Not an Emulator\";
    }

If you learn about recursive functions for the first time that usually leaves a certain impression. Look at a classic example, Fibonacci.

long fib(unsigned long n) {
    if (n <= 1) {
    return n;
    } else {
    return fib(n-1)+fib(n-2);
    }
    }

You write a function by using the function you are currently writing as if it was already working, which might seem kind of absurd if you're new to it.
    Recursive acronyms probably don't make more sense to you now, but at least i got you to read this geek stuff.

Err... you lost me at BNF.

Add Comment