User Avatar Image

Next Monkey Island should be made by

posted by thin029 on - last edited - Viewed by 625 users

Telltale or LucasArts?
LucasArts for me, since Telltale's limited episode system means less scenarios and not-so-good soundtrack. (and sound quality)

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Wha...? not-so-good soundtrack and sound quality??

• Besides, I don't think LucasArts does anything for the last decade except milk the popularity of 30-year old movies.

• @Ripcord said: Wha...? not-so-good soundtrack and sound quality??

Previous Monkey Island games (specially EFMI) had epic, unforgettable soundtracks, while Tales had good remixes.

• Agree to Lucas Arts, but again, it would take them 2-3 years to release a game, versus Telltale that would start working asap and release first episode on the 6th month of game development. Telltale and their game engine is improving every day, so a new MI created by Telltale would be great. Maybe they include the monkey island next time?

• True, but I wouldn't mind if they were working together like, while Telltale makes Tales 2, LucasArts works on a new, original full-developed Monkey Island game.
    Although if I had to choose just one, I'd pick LucasArts, I don't mind waiting, I've been waiting for 10 years

• It's more likely to come from Telltale I'd think, but I don't have a preference. Both have done a great job with the Monkey Island series and I'd be happy either way.

As for soundtracks, I agree that the EFMI soundtrack is nice, but note that a lot of it's music is actually originally from COMI. Not all of it of course, but it's pretty noticeable.

• You do realise that the last Monkey Island game LucasArts made is widely considered to be the worst of the series, right? Do you really want them to top that? :p

• @thin029 said: Telltale or LucasArts?
    LucasArts for me, since Telltale's limited episode system means less scenarios and not-so-good soundtrack. (and sound quality)

Dude... what the hell are you talking about? TTG had almost the same crew working on Tales as LA on the four other games. It's practically same people, just the company changed. How can you even compare them?

I don't know how can this not be obvious, but it's a 0.1% chance that LA would actually come up with the next title of Monkey Island franchise. First of all because the name is practically sold to TTG (with a remaning formality of MISE release in 2009), second because they're not into quests anymore and third because LA has no more talents to work on that (they all migrated to TTG now).

Oh, and with this said, I'm voting TTG, of course.

• @thin029 said: Telltale or LucasArts?

The Tales soundtrack is excellent. Excellent. The theme inside the manatee's mouth has been stuck in my head for three days now. I think you just don't like the format the music was presented in. (SMI and MI2 get a pass because that's what the early 90s allowed.)

I prefer live instrument myself. Maybe on the DVD?

• @thin029 said: Previous Monkey Island games (specially EFMI) had epic, unforgettable soundtracks, while Tales had good remixes.

I see what you mean, although for me it was SOMI and CMI which came up with the epic tunes, not EFMI. I don't know if you could call "less scenarios" a typical TTG - thing but I would have liked to see more screens to explore per episode, too.

Anyhow, for me the episodic style really turned out great. If the next MI is to be a full game I already see myself stuck behind the screen for a few days and before I know it, I'm through and the fun would be over for another couple of years. I don't think I'd like that way back.
    The monthly chapter release of TOMI had that neat, sadomasochistic touch to it, plus it came with all the people in this forum discussing the cliffhangers - I would SO want that fever for a second time!

Add Comment