User Avatar Image

Next Monkey Island should be made by

posted by thin029 on - last edited - Viewed by 695 users

Telltale or LucasArts?
LucasArts for me, since Telltale's limited episode system means less scenarios and not-so-good soundtrack. (and sound quality)

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don’t see what you find so fantastic in EfMI’s soundtrack, I listened to it again after reading your post and well… for me it’s juste like Tales. Synthetic. Ok, but cleaned up of any human touch.
    Music in adventure games are very important.

Some masterpieces to me…
    The Enlightened Florist, from Grim Fandango (Peter McConnell)
    Clockwise Operetta, from Machinarium (Tomas Dvorak)
    The Office, from Sam&Max Seasons (Jared Emerson-Johnson)
    And of course Mocking the Voodoo, from Curse of Monkey Island
    Michael Land has never been better, this tune is just insanely good. And far away from what you can hear in the last two MI branded games.

What they all have in common, is an analogic feeling, harmonics, rubbed strings, air pulled, scratches… Even Machinarium, with purely digital ambiance seems analogic. That’s the feeling I’d love to find again in the next MI. He’s done it with Curse, I’m sure he can do it again. I just hope it’s not budget restriction… but I don’t think MI have a smaller budget than Sam&Max Seasons.

• TOMI did have some great tracks. Not all of them were great though, which is disappointing compared to the first three. However, none of the fourth games tracks were good at all, so TOMI was a step back up.

Notable tracks were Human LeChuck, God LeChuck, The Crossroads, DeSinge (my favorite), DeCava, Diving, Club 41, Voodoo Lady, and the death of Morgan.

• @thin029 said: You all have to admit Lucre Island alone (EFMI) had more screens and better background music than the entire Tales thing.

Once again, I don't think you can compare them as in EMI screens were actually 2D, and they weren't hand drawn, hence a lot easier to make that even those of CMI. Tales has a complete 3D environment, fully animated and camera-relative. If something, this doesn't feel at all like the devs just didn't care (which they probably really did not about making EMI).

• Yeah, don't even compare the EMI graphics to ToMI. They're totally different classes.

ToMI's visuals are very strong, and it's one of the rare 2d-games-represented-in-3d that I really like graphics-wise (Sam+Max is another. Heck, so is Homestar Runner).

The ridiculous EMI makes me throw up a little each time I try to play it (made back when EVERY game was going 3d simply because it was trendy, even though the graphics and gameplay were much, much worse as a result).

• @thin029 said: You all have to admit Lucre Island alone (EFMI) had more screens and better background music than the entire Tales thing.

I get the feeling this guy is just trolling us, The main Lucre town had good music as was the main map theme and underwater theme, but every interior in Lucre Town was the same song in a sense just arranged differently.

Also complaining about the score is kind of idiotic as Michael Land has worked on them all, saying that LucasArts did it better doesn't actually make sense since it's the same guy scoring (even though he was reduced to just Melee Island in Escape).

I would like however if Telltale could continue the series, but get to use LucasArts sound studios for vocal recording and scoring.

• Agreed. And this is actually a good reason why this entire thread is ridiculous. "LucasArts should do it because we liked game X" - as if the company autonomously produced the game on its own. As if the output of the game wasn't tremendously to do with the talent and creative environment available. As if LucasArts isn't 100% different now. And as if ANY of the people that worked on the earlier game would be working on it, or that many of the people responsible for those other games aren't involved already.

They might as well just say "should be done by EA".

One argument is that LucasArts would supply more money and this would somehow make things better. Though I'll bet the TT resources are stretched pretty thin, LA or ANY company would not necessarily help with that problem unless they thought the payout would be worthwhile.

And all this is based around the idea that ToMI guys are somehow WORSE than the originals. That's subjective, but I don't think that's true at all.

(Though I bet they ARE a bit stretched on resources, and helping with that might help produce EVEN BETTER games). One way to help with that? Directly? BUY MORE GAMES AND STUFF. Get your friends to buy them. Talk to Mac friends that may not even know TT exists, and point out the new games they just released for Mac. If you know people that "borrowed" or pirated the game, convince them that it's a bad idea, and to support TT. Order the physical DVD. And so on.

• @Ripcord said: The ridiculous EMI makes me throw up a little each time I try to play it (made back when EVERY game was going 3d simply because it was trendy, even though the graphics and gameplay were much, much worse as a result).

Umm well, I wouldn't say it's that bad, but compared to Tales it still sucks.

• EMI has a good soundtrack? ...as opposed to what? Okay, sure it's decent but CMI is way better.

okay, listen to CMI's Title Theme (start @ 50 seconds) and then to EMI's Title Theme. They sound almost identical.
    CMI for the win.

I could go on and on about listening to CMI music and knowing right where it comes from.... like the Quicksand, or Shooting the cannon at Murray's boat, or The Blood Island Map...

and how about the most addictive song in the universe: A Pirate I was meant to be!

Can anyone tell me they remember exactly what Ozzie Mandrill's Theme from EMI sounds like without looking it up first? No, I didn't think so.

EDIT: I voted for TTG.

• @Chyron8472 said:

Can anyone tell me they remember exactly what Ozzie Mandrill's Theme from EMI sounds like without looking it up first? No, I didn't think so.

What's really bad is as soon as I tried to think of this, my brain immediately went to DeSinge's theme... Heh heh.

• @Chyron8472 said: EMI has a good soundtrack? ...as opposed to what? Okay, sure it's decent but CMI is way better.

okay, listen to CMI's Title Theme (start @ 50 seconds) and then to EMI's Title Theme. They sound almost identical.
    CMI for the win.

I could go on and on about listening to CMI music and knowing right where it comes from.... like the Quicksand, or Shooting the cannon at Murray's boat, or The Blood Island Map...

and how about the most addictive song in the universe: A Pirate I was meant to be!

Actually, I can, I also remember Outside The Governors Mansion, Melee Town, Melee Docks, Talking with Carla and Otis, The Scumm Bar, Meathooks Place, as well Lucre Map, Boulder Beach (even though it was a re-arranged version of King Andres Hideout). Michael Land (Melee Island), Peter McConnell (Lucre Island) and Clint Bajakian (Character Scores) actually did good jobs with the music, it's just when the game got Jambalaya onwards, the music took a dive, especially Monkey Island, it just felt flat and boring.

Escape does a lot of things wrong, but the Music for the first half of the game isn't one of those things. I do feel Curse has the better soundtrack (Goodsoup Hotel Corridor still chills me) but Escape shouldn't be knocked on its soundtrack as it isn't bad, it just feels half complete.

Add Comment