User Avatar Image

Show us some linux love - Linux Port?

posted by pirate132 on - last edited - Viewed by 798 users

Since Tales of Monkey Island will be ported to Mac I would like to ask if it will be possible to make a Linux port too.
Perhaps there are some more linux users who would like to play it natively on their system, if so, raise your hand!

Are there enough linux users out there who would like to play Monkey Island (without any emulation/Wine/VM) on linux?

110 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I would definitely love a linux port.

I use Ubuntu as the main system for everything, games, when supported natively, just as anything else.

Wine does run TTG games, but not as well and as hassle-free as windows. In fact this is the ONLY reason I still tolerate to have also a windows installation on my PC, and I would love to finally get rid of that hopeless junk.

I spare you the technical details, but the various linux distros are really a non-issue. In fact supporting various linux distros is BY FAR less work than supporting, say, both WinXP and Vista.

Furthermore, Wine is not only a binary launcher, it can ease the porting itself.

• This is in no way a comment on the feasibility of a Linux port, just pure uninformed curiosity to the local linux community: is it easier for Linux users to run windows programs or mac programs?

For example, now that the mac build is out, will that become the go-to version for linux users to fiddle with or will they stick with the windows builds?

• Windows.

There just isn't the infrastructure to run Mac-specific programs like ToMI (and most Mac-specific) on other OSes, even though they're both Unixy. ToMI for Mac still uses the MacOS X Cocoa APIs, which are OS X-specific, and there's pretty much ZERO project out there to run that on other OSes, whereas there's a pretty strong series of projects (WINE, etc) to run Wndows API-using binaries on various OSes.

Though I imagine it'd probably be somewhat easier to port ToMI to Linux now that the Mac port is out of the way (especially since it uses a lot of QT and other cross-platform things). But all of the Cocoa API stuff would have to be replaced with things that work on Linux.

And it MIGHT be easier to build a Cocoa API implementation from scratch than a Win32/etc implementation, but there's 15 years of serious work already done on the Windows APIs =)

• I agree with Ripcord, windows builds for sure, no way I know to run mac builds on linux.

I also second the statement about cross-platform libraries which could ease linux port through the mac port, but I also would suggest to consider the option to use wine (which again is not only a binary launcher but also a tool and collection of libraries for porting windows-specific code to linux) to start the linux port from the windows version. If all needed features are supported by wine libraries, it maybe could be faster.

Of course, moving the game engine to cross-platform libraries (is SDL still en vogue?), and building up future games upon that from the start, would very likely be the best overall solution in perspective.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@GozzoMan said: I also second the statement about cross-platform libraries which could ease linux port through the mac port, but I also would suggest to consider the option to use wine (which again is not only a binary launcher but also a tool and collection of libraries for porting windows-specific code to linux) to start the linux port from the windows version.

As far as i can see in the Mac version we have:

Launcher: Qt
    Audio: Fmod
    Graphics: OpenGL

They are all usable for Linux as well. It makes more sense to take the Mac version and adapt/rewrite the platform specific code for Linux, than taking the Windows version and wrapping it into Wine. Wine would increase the complexity for no good reason and create a dependency on foreign code. Also it doesn't make much sense to use its DirectX->OpenGL mapping if there is a native OpenGL solution available already.

If the goal however is not a native port, but just better Wine support that could be a different way to make Linux users happier.

• please do a linux port, would love to play this game on my ubuntu machine!

• I just registered to let you know, that I'm absolutely willing to buy the game if there is a Linux client.

• @DjNDB said: As far as i can see in the Mac version we have:

Launcher: Qt
    Audio: Fmod
    Graphics: OpenGL

They are all usable for Linux as well. [...]

Interesting, I'm persuaded :)

@DjNDB said:
    If the goal however is not a native port, but just better Wine support that could be a different way to make Linux users happier.

Another good point.

• @DjNDB said: If the goal however is not a native port, but just better Wine support that could be a different way to make Linux users happier.

Again, asking for my own personal edification since I'm not a programmer nor a project scheduler, but what would be required to make things more wine friendly?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Will said: Again, asking for my own personal edification since I'm not a programmer nor a project scheduler, but what would be required to make things more wine friendly?

From what i have read wine has or had issues with the Launcher. Those could probably be mitigated in various ways, e.g.
    - Allowing to bypass the graphical launcher and to enter the login credentials on the command line
    - Switching the Launcher of the Windows versions to Qt and thereby removing the dependency on internet explorer to display the Launcher properly.

Add Comment