User Avatar Image

Show us some linux love - Linux Port?

posted by pirate132 on - last edited - Viewed by 801 users

Since Tales of Monkey Island will be ported to Mac I would like to ask if it will be possible to make a Linux port too.
Perhaps there are some more linux users who would like to play it natively on their system, if so, raise your hand!

Are there enough linux users out there who would like to play Monkey Island (without any emulation/Wine/VM) on linux?

110 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ok, interesting. Thanks Dj!

• Please port it to linux because we linux user want an native version. Not an version that run with wine.

When we linux user must use it with wine why the mac users don´t must be use wine too for that? why they become an native Version and Linux Users not??

• While I haven't bought any of your games, yet, I would buy the linux versions. I have wanting the games for a long time now, but having to get to some windows first to me always was too much of a hastle. And I love playing the classic SCRUM-MIs on my Android!

BTW: As I know you guys do download games (and therefore I guess DRM), there is a Linux-Download-Games solution by linuxgamepublishing. So If you don't want to reinvent the wheel cooperation with those guys might be an idea.

• I guess a lot of people who played monkey island in the 90's use linux now a days.

And those people will buy the game if it is a native linux binary.

• @DjNDB said: From what i have read wine has or had issues with the Launcher.

Yepp. Only real issue with Wine/Linux is the launcher. The game itself (like any Telltale game) works really good in Wine.

• @ChemBro said: Yepp. Only real issue with Wine/Linux is the launcher. The game itself (like any Telltale game) works really good in Wine.

(How? How did you solve the launcher problems and manage to play the game?)

• @avistew said: (How? How did you solve the launcher problems and manage to play the game?)

Voilà ;)

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10820

• @LinuxDonald said: When we linux user must use it with wine why the mac users don´t must be use wine too for that? why they become an native Version and Linux Users not??

I don't know for sure, but I'd say that even today the number of Linux users that would buy Telltale games is dramatically smaller than the number of Mac users that will buy it. So economically makes sense.

Not saying it doesn't make economic sense to port to Linux (I'm guessing it doesn't though), but sure makes sense that it'd be Mac first.

Sorry, man. It's been the "year of Linux desktop" for each of the last 10 years, and it's still not there yet. Not even close.

• @Ripcord said: I don't know for sure, but I'd say that even today the number of Linux users that would buy Telltale games is dramatically smaller than the number of Mac users that will buy it. So economically makes sense.
    [...]

Mmmh, I challenge that.

Ok, linux desktops are a fifth of Mac desktops, approximately: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

And nonetheless, here's the numbers for the sales of World of Goo: http://abauchu.net/blog/post/2009/11/03/World-of-Goo-and-its-Linux-market-shares

65% windows users, 18% Mac users, 17% linux users.

Oh-oh, what happens here? How come the potential market for Mac is 5 times bigger than linux, but the actual sales are the same?

My educated while partisan guess is that linux people are biased to be interested in smart, brain-challenging, funny, indie games which are also downloadable, reasonably priced and with fair and not vexing user license agreements.

All TTG games and policies qualify for that.

And as for the "reasonably priced", see also the graph for voluntary price. Surprise, surprise.

• WoG has no copy protection whatsoever - ToMI has real DRM. That alone might scare off a number of Linux users. But you do support your argument with some real numbers, so hats off.

Even still, I have a tough time believing that the number of Linux sales for ToMI would approach Mac sales. Something tells me that WoG (which I bought, and I think is one of the most under-rated (and also most pirated) games ever) is a pretty special case. But I have no numbers to back me up!

Add Comment