User Avatar Image

you guys know Voodoo Lady Tarrot cards wouldn't work, right?

posted by Remolay on - last edited - Viewed by 321 users

The voodoo ladys tarrot cards include no real cards.

There is no Curse or Journey card.
the closest thing to Journey is The Fool.

and if it were all real cards it wouldn't work because Everyone would have the same deck of tarrot cards. Yorur deck is supposed to be unique. reflect you. Like my deck of actual tarrot cards is full of cats, I am a cat person

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • How weird, I thought you quoted me for some reason :confused:
    But now when I look, well you quoted Remolay. Oh well.

Anyways, I do like your parrot tarot picture. Actually thanks for posting that, if I ever make cards I'll remember to include the pyrite parrot.

• you guys know Voodoo Lady Tarrot cards wouldn't work, right?

Uh, are there any tarot cards that "work"?

• @Ripcord said: Uh, are there any tarot cards that "work"?

Definitely. Just requires you to be a certain type of person. If a deck of cards can "call out" to you, then congratulations, you qualify!

• @Ripcord said: Uh, are there any tarot cards that "work"?

My Magic 8 Ball says "sources say no." :D
    Although I sense that you were being facetious.

@Ripcord said: Definitely. Just requires you to be a certain type of person. If a deck of cards can "call out" to you, then congratulations, you qualify!

I highly doubt that.

I would be more willing to believe in self-fulfilling prophecies (that you believe they will come to pass, so you take action, subconsiously or otherwise, to see that they do.) Something akin to Harry Potter and Voldemort's prophecy. Voldemort believes it is true, so then gives it power over his actions.

I also believe in fortunes that are so vague that they could apply to anyone, ie. forture cookies or horoscopes.
    Said fortunes only aid the gullible.

If there was any fortune-teller I would believe, it would be the character Firenze from the Harry Potter books, who teaches Harry that "trivial hurts and tiny human accidents are of no more significance than the scurryings of ants to the wide universe, and are unaffected by planetary movements."

• Didn't he also imply that the fact that Mars was in opposition mean that there'd be a war soon? It's been a while since I read the book, and maybe I'm making the war thing up based on Mars' role in mythology, but Mars goes into opposition ever two years. It's hard to attach any special significance to it.

[quote]and if it were all real cards it wouldn't work because Everyone would have the same deck of tarrot cards. Yorur deck is supposed to be unique. reflect you. Like my deck of actual tarrot cards is full of cats, I am a cat person[/quote]
    If you're using Tarot cards for divination, the only reason to personalise your deck is sentiment. The cards still mean the same thing, unless it's one of those decks that takes out of the minor arcana or something, which I think is kind of stupid. If you're using them to play a game... there's still no pressing reason why every deck should be unique.

The Voodoo lady's Tarot deck has a bunch of made up cards, but if someone really wanted to use them for divination, there's no reason why they can't assign their own meanings to them, the way the occult Tarot was originally developed. It's not like they're the Wisdom of the Ancients. They're just playing cards with pretty pictures.

In my experience, even when you discount answers that work because they're vague, Tarot cards seem pretty accurate, though not so much at predicting an uncertain future. But I don't think there's anything special about the cards themselves. It's the meanings that are important.

• @Remolay said: Yorur deck is supposed to be unique. reflect you. Like my deck of actual tarrot cards is full of cats, I am a cat person

I wonder what kind of person I am, because I have tarot deck with medieval themed erotic drawings, which I bought from Roman toystore (I still keep wondering why they have tarot decks with adult illustrations in a toystore). :D

But to be honest I also have standard decks with more typical illustration. But these days I usually buy tarot decks with unusual illustrations, because those are sort of collector's items.

I know how to divinate with the cards, but I don't really believe to the stuff and most of the time I use the tarot cards to play solitaire.

• when I started this with tarrot I was tired and didn't notice my spell checker telling me it was wrong.

now as for making the real tarot card, I dont like the whole playing cards thing. they were always used for the divination type thing, but they started being used as a game when divination was considered evil.

I have heard of two types of decks (and several variations of them):Allister Crowley, Toth Tarot, which my mom uses, and Rider Waite tarot, a more popular one which has more variations.

• @Remolay said: they were always used for the divination type thing, but they started being used as a game when divination was considered evil.

I couldn't care less if the game was invented because divination was considered evil or because someone's puppy just died: it's one of my all-time favourites :D

• @avistew said: I couldn't care less if the game was invented because divination was considered evil or because someone's puppy just died: it's one of my all-time favourites :D

You don't have to worry, while mysticists claim all sorts of things it seems that historical sources indicate that tarot cards were invented for playing games and the divination stuff came a lot later.

• You know tarot cards wouldn't work, right? Divination through a deck of vague cards is kind of ridiculous.

Also, wait, wasn't there a Curse and a Journey card? I'm pretty sure the Journey card was used to send Guybrush to different bodies, and the Curse card was used for the Pox.

Add Comment