User Avatar Image

What went wrong with LucasArts...

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 900 users

You know... this MI epic-ness has me wondering. What exactly went wrong with LucasArts back when adventure games died anyway? I know someone is going to tell me that some executive(s) higher up made decisions to cut back funding to adventure games, but bad sales on one or two games is not enough explanation why the whole adventure gaming industry died for several years.

I don't know if any of the Telltale Team can even respond to this, but several things don't make sense to me:

1) Why, when SMI and MI2 were apparently so popular, did LA dump any idea of Ron's MI3 and wait 6 years to create CMI?

2) Why, when CMI's animation looks wonderful, did they use a blocky and ugly looking "3D" style for EMI that was also entirely devoid of mouse controls and market it to console gamers? Why couldn't they make another MI game that looked similar to CMI? I love that game's graphics style.

3) Why did they drop Sam and Max: Freelance Police or stop making Monkey Island games altogether after EMI?

... as far as the rest of the industry goes, I've read that the reason why King's Quest 8 sucks as much as it does is because some exec told Roberta Williams of Sierra On-line to make it that way. That doesn't make sense since KQ6 was extremely popular, why change the formula?

It just doesn't make sense to me. If a developer creates a game and it's successful, and then for the next game they are pressured to make it look/feel a certain way which turns out to fail, why quit the whole industry? Why not just go back to what worked in the first place?

Suffice it to say, I don't understand why LA stopped making adventure games, or stopped making future installments of Monkey Island (SMISE doesn't count) just because sales for EMI were apparently lackluster. It doesn't mean there's no market, just that they made the game different than people wanted.

53 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Uzrname said: Today, things changed. First of all because computers finally started to regain interest of games after several years of console mangling.

Que? It may be because I am a PC gamer pur sang, but it seems like today more than ever consoles try to savagely murder the PC by "exclusive deals", removing of dedicated servers etc. so we get console like online options etc.
    Second because people got sick on RPGs (that's my understanding)
    Guess you never heard of Bethesda, BioWare or Obsidian?
    so some subtle companies emerged, like TTG, and slowly starting moving their products forward, in hopes on renewing the quest genre.
    More like to quench the thirst of adventure gamers, who previously had to life on games from primarily Germany (they love their adventures). Modest hits there like Syberia or Runaway made clear there is a market for adventuregames.

• To me it was never just a lucasarts thing. The whole adventure game genre was dying with Sierra too. I was amazed LA even made EFMI considering how little adventure games were made in 2000. Their Star Wars craze got even more annoying when Phantom Menace came out, and I thought it was a waste to turn every game in the Indiana Jones series into a tomb Raider clone.

• Adventure games were put aside so that companies could cater for the new wave of braindead gamers who just like to shoot and kill things again, and again, and again.

There's nothing wrong with games like that, but you can't just play action games where all you do is fight, it'll kill your brain cells. At least adventure games, and some RPGs, require you to actually think at some stage.

• @haydenwce27 said: Adventure games were put aside so that companies could cater for the new wave of braindead gamers who just like to shoot and kill things again, and again, and again.

Except gaming started with space combat, the Wolfenstein games predate and were released alongside the first two Monkey Island games, and Doom was close to follow after LeChuck's Revenge.

There's nothing wrong with games like that, but you can't just play action games where all you do is fight, it'll kill your brain cells. At least adventure games, and some RPGs, require you to actually think at some stage.

Except that's not the way it works. It's thinking, but on a different level, in a different way. RPGs, especially those in the standard Japanese mold, end up amounting to more grinding than actual thought, where at least a shooter forces dynamically changing tactical thought to survive.

• @Rather Dashing said: Except that's not the way it works. It's thinking, but on a different level, in a different way. RPGs, especially those in the standard Japanese mold, end up amounting to more grinding than actual thought, where at least a shooter forces dynamically changing tactical thought to survive.

Of course, japanese RPGs tend to focus on telling an epic story with gameplay in second seat - unless they're SRPGs, which focuses on gameplay a lot, with strategic thinking being very important to succeed.

Valkyria Chronicles is a good representative of the japanese SRPG, where it's all just one mission after another, with storytelling inbetween, and where the gameplay is turnbased on a set battlefield with plenty of units and their unique abilities. Not unlike Disgea or Final Fantasy Tactics, but in full 3D and direct control of the units.

Demon's Souls is a good example of a japanese rpg going for a different route than the standard jrpg as well. This is a truly hardcore dungeon crawler, with unforgiving enemies and tactical gameplay is very important for survival. Dying is very common but generally not recommended if you want to get somewhere. Each world (level) has a checkpoint, but the way there is tough and mostly ends with a terrifying and unforgiving bossfight. You don't want to get hit in this game, and protecting yourself is very important and playing tactical will prove a vital point if you want to progress in the game at a decent pace. Toughest rpg in years, really, regardless of its origin.

There's also a lot more focus on tactical shooters nowadays, than braindead blastfests like Doom. Killzone 2, Call of Duty, Gears of War... they may seem braindead, but they're all highly tactical and requires thinking and good reaction to beat. Killzone 2 is actually the first FPS I ever played through alone, and I never got bored.

All genres have bad apples, or different subgenres. Adventure gamers itself have quite a few bad apples, especially those who tried to follow the whole 3D thing too early. And there are also a good amount of braindead adventure games as well, that offers little challenge and are so easy that it's almost just cannon fodder for the adventure gamer fans.

• @Hassat Hunter said: Syberia or Runaway

Syberia? German?
    Dude... you are wrong. Do you feel it? Do you feel being wrong? Ah? Ah, well.. take that, y'know.

• @Rather Dashing said: LucasArts fans really, really don't like Roberta Williams, do they?

It's more about all the hate that she put in her games, all that sadistic pleasure of killing the hero in every stupid situation. Sure, heroes died in many games, take Kyrandia series for example. But not like that, NOT LIKE THAT!

• @Uzrname said: It's more about all the hate that she put in her games, all that sadistic pleasure of killing the hero in every stupid situation. Sure, heroes died in many games, take Kyrandia series for example. But not like that, NOT LIKE THAT!

But that stuff was hilarious. I wish I could make a game that evil yet addicting.

• @Secret Fawful said: But that stuff was hilarious. I wish I could make a game that evil yet addicting.

How can dying of hunger because your hero didn't eat because you didn't think he would actually need to eat because you're playing a freaking game be hilarious?

• @Uzrname said: How can dying of hunger because your hero didn't eat because you didn't think he would actually need to eat because you're playing a freaking game be hilarious?

HA HA HA HA HA! I thought only Roberta Williams could slay me like that, but you're KILLING me, man!

(Uzrname jumps me and starts beating me up)

Ow! Stop! You're killing me, man!

ANNOUNCER: Well, you've done it this time, Secret. Maybe now you'll view PHYSICAL comedy a little bit differently.

RESTART? RESTORE? QUIT?

Add Comment