User Avatar Image

Show us some linux love - Linux Port?

posted by pirate132 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Since Tales of Monkey Island will be ported to Mac I would like to ask if it will be possible to make a Linux port too.
Perhaps there are some more linux users who would like to play it natively on their system, if so, raise your hand!

Are there enough linux users out there who would like to play Monkey Island (without any emulation/Wine/VM) on linux?

110 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Will said: Ok, interesting. Thanks Dj!

It would also be interesting to see how the Windows version would run with the OpenGL renderer. Such a version could improve performance for Wine users.

From a developers point of view I would dare to predict that at least the Qt launcher will come to Windows for future releases. There's no point in having different launcher versions to maintain, and the Internet Explorer dependency of the current one has sporadically caused issues that should vanish with the Qt launcher in place.

• @Ripcord said: WoG has no copy protection whatsoever - ToMI has real DRM. That alone might scare off a number of Linux users.

Well, ToMI and the other games do have copy protection, but the policy is very friendly: for example you are entitled to install it on different machines, and to share it with your family members, by simply sending an email to the support team.

And it's just that: essentially just copy protection, none of the obscene features that more general DRM can have, for example to revoke your right of use, no silent updates, no spyware, no system encrustment, no need to constantly been online, no ridiculous hassles, or whatever. As DRM goes these days, it's a very mild kind.

None at all would be better, of course, but the TTG choice is very acceptable, both technically and in principle, in my opinion (and I have in general very strong opinion against DRM).

@Ripcord said: But you do support your argument with some real numbers, so hats off.

;)

• Oh, and another important point: I also guess linux people are probably more biased than other OS users to buy something which is advertised and available online instead in the brick and mortar stores.

One important reason why users with basic needs (web, email, basic word processing and accounting...) become windows or mac users, is that to satisfy those needs they walk into a brick and mortar store, and if they say "Hello, I need a computer" they are sold a windows PC, if they say "Hello, I need a computer. One that works for heaven's sake", and the price doesn't knock them out, they are sold a mac.
    They don't even know there are other options. In particular they don't know, or are not used/comfortable with the idea, that perfectly legit, safe and apt software can be available online, whether free or for a price. They are used to get it off a physical shelf in a physical packaging.

• Creating a linux version should not be a big problem if you allready have a Mac version. The graphics and the sound code would be the about the same.

About creating a version usable on all linux distributions: You just need to ship the used libraries with the game and thats something you would do on all other platforms anyway. (And write some small 2 line shellscript to tell linux it should use the shipped libs)

For feature games you should may think about using SDL for the actually system dependant code. (SDL is a free lib which provides things like window-initialisation, input handling, multithreading etc. in a platform independant way)

• User Avatar Image
    Yak

Please make native linux version!

• Another vote for a linux port!

I run Ubuntu (and Debian) on all my PC/laptops (no MS Windows in my home at all). I play games, Wine usually works fine (not perfect, but fine), but a real native port would be excellent.
    Don't think that we linux users don't exist because we download the Windows version!

• Linux users are all nerds and know well enough how to use a Windows emulator for games. Making TTG create a Linux port, when the market share for Linux gamers is so small, would just take time away from their making other cool games.

I vote against.

• @Chyron8472 said: Linux users are all nerds and know well enough how to use a Windows emulator for games. Making TTG create a Linux port, when the market share for Linux gamers is so small, would just take time away from their making other cool games.

I vote against.

Thanks, buddy. As you can see in this thread, not every Linux user is a "nerd" and not every nerd can play ToMI in Linux. And the "World of Goo" example showed, that the market share for Linux doesn't have to be small.

• I'm going to put in another vote for Linux port.

• I would definitely buy the game if there would be a native Linux port!

Add Comment