User Avatar Image

Next Monkey Island should be made by

posted by thin029 on - last edited - Viewed by 437 users

Telltale or LucasArts?
LucasArts for me, since Telltale's limited episode system means less scenarios and not-so-good soundtrack. (and sound quality)

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @thin029 said: Uzrname, do you know when you reach the end of the scenario and you get a black screen for a second or even just a camera angle change until you see what's ahead of you? This is called SCREEN CHANGING, THOSE PERIODS ARE SCREENS
    Man, is it THAT HARD to understand. Tales has too few screens, it's a fact

See, you even edited your post and still it was full of rage.
    No really, I won't argue with you on that. To me "screens" are angles, even if it's part of the same location. So technically, EMI environment was much easier to make screens of, because you'd just change the angle and snap the pic. In Tales, the camera moves, hence it takes more effort to animate.

Or do you NOT agree?

• @thin029 said: Uzrname, do you know when you reach the end of the scenario and you get a black screen for a second or even just a camera angle change until you see what's ahead of you? This is called SCREEN CHANGING, THOSE PERIODS ARE SCREENS
    Man, is it THAT HARD to understand. Tales has too few screens, it's a fact

Thin, what he was trying to tell you was that, with the 3D environment, Tales doesn't need a ton of screens. In Flotsam Town, the whole town is one screen. At Spinner Cay, the whole area of town except for the Library and the Chieftan's hot tub is just one screen. In Rise of the Pirate God, each area of the crossroads is just one screen.

The camera pans as Guybrush moves, so you don't need lots of screens.

[EDIT]: Oh, and in Curse of Monkey Island (my ABSOLUTE favorite MI game until Tales came out,) The outdoor area in Puerto Pollo Town is also just one screen. More doesn't mean better. [/EDIT]

Okay, okay... so let me get this straight. According to you, when this idea is used as far as old NES games go, Deadly Towers is better than The Legend of Zelda because the dungeons have more screens.

okay, so this dungeon map that was hand written bcuz it's so huge:
    deadly.jpg

is better than this:
    level9q1.png

Have you seen the AVGN's review of Deadly Towers? It's terrible.

Tales doesn't need more screens. Uzr is right, the 3D camera panning as you move reduces the need for tons of them.

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

Or maybe just hopeful? ;)
    Quick question.
    When the poll is currently 60-13 in favor of Telltale, what makes the majority hopeless?

• We don't like EMI, like the majority. Clearly a sign of "hopelessness" :p.

• Thou animating Tales was still easier than CMI. Drawing screens - maybe not, but there is no more that much Purcell to just animate every in-game character.

• Ignoring 'problems' of sound, I'd definitely prefer to see the next Monkey Island game made by Telltale.
    Why? Well, they're enthused. They're excited about the properties of making adventures games, games where you point, click and laugh. Lucas Arts has proved in later years that they no longer have any real interest in making those games, and thus, lack the staff for it. Telltale is concentrated on making Adventure games, it's the reason for the company's existence, and so far, they've done nothing but stellar work considering what they're working with.
    Also, the episodic, online sales format sits well with me now - not so much when I didn't have broadband, but now it's preferable to waiting for my games store to get it in (or even for it to be released in Australia).

• @Uzrname said: Thou animating Tales was still easier than CMI. Drawing screens - maybe not, but there is no more that much Purcell to just animate every in-game character.

First, I'm not quite sure what you just said in the last part. Try emailing Strong Bad with that and see what he says.

Second, they used software to render 3D environments, they didn't just "draw screens." And anyway, how do you know how much effort it took to animate characters in Tales as opposed to in Curse? There's no evidence to support that it was easier for them to do.

• I think he meant "there is now more than just Purcell to animate"... but that would mean Purcell animated CMI all by himself...

• @avistew said: I think he meant "there is now more than just Purcell to animate"... but that would mean Purcell animated CMI all by himself...

No, what I meant to say is that Purcell isn't there to animate that much of Guybrush anymore, as he did for CMI. Because it's Purcell who drew characters there, right?

See the debate started because that dude said EMI was a bigger effort (i.e. pain in the lower back side of the abdomen) for the devs than Tales. And I reminded him that EMI was still 2D and that by taking snapshots of different camera views of the same location, you'd actually save on time and needless doodads that you don't when you "stick" the camera to a character in a 3D environment and make it move.

But then, I wouldn't say that doing that is harder than taking a paper, a pencil, and just drawing every screen, once you get of the software you're using. The whole point of computer animation is that today and both less time consuming and less expensive than the good old 2D.

But the gap between animating Tales and CMI is way less considerable than that between Tales and EMI. I.e. the hardest to do was CMI, slightly easier were Tales, and then practically amateur work were the screens of EMI.

Add Comment