User Avatar Image

howto: get SBCG4AP 101 (demo and full game) running on Linux

posted by tremby on - last edited - Viewed by 3.5K users

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People episodes 101 and 102 howto: get them running in Linux
by demonfoo and tremby

the commands in this howto (and some of the files linked) are specific to Ubuntu Hardy Heron. a similar procedure should work for other distros, though.

[list=1]
[*] install Wine 1.1.3 or later
[list=1]
[*] if you haven't already, add WineHQ's repository to your package manager. (instructions from WineHQ)
[list=1]
[*] add the repository's key so packages can be authenticated by running
wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
[*] add the repository to the list of sources by running
sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
[*] refresh your package list by running
sudo apt-get update
[/list]
[*] install or upgrade Wine by running
sudo apt-get install wine
[/list]
[*] install IEs4Linux
[list=1]
[*] first we need cabextract and tar. we'll get the MS fonts while we're at it. install them by running
sudo apt-get install cabextract tar msttcorefonts
[*] then download and extract IEs4Linux by running
wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ies4linux-latest.tar.gz -O- | tar zx
[*] move into the IEs4Linux directory by running
cd ies4linux-*
[*] load the installer by running
./ies4linux
it'll complain on the command line that you're running an old version of Wine, but it's lying.
[*] install it. the default options are fine for the purposes of this howto, but since i'm a web developer i install IE7 too by clicking "advanced" and then checking IE7's box. close the installer when it's done.
[*] move back out of the IEs4Linux directory by running
cd ..
[/list]
[*] set up Wine for SBCG4AP and install the game
[list=1]
[*] copy the WINEPREFIX ("drive C") for IE6 to make one for SBCG4AP which has IE6 installed by running
cp -a ~/.ies4linux/ie6 ~/.wine_sbcg4ap
[*] download the Homestar Ruiner demo installer with your browser (i'll assume to your desktop) or by running
wget http://www.telltalegames.com/demo/homestarruiner -O ~/Desktop/homestarruinerdemo.exe
[*] start the installer by running
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_sbcg4ap WINEDLLOVERRIDES=\"rpcrt4,ole32,d3d9=b\" wine ~/Desktop/homestarruinerdemo.exe
[*] follow its instructions. the default paths are fine, and be sure to answer "yes" to the question about installing DirectX. uncheck "Play now" when it's done and click "Finish". then you can delete the installer if you like by selecting it and hitting delete or running
rm ~/Desktop/homestarruinerdemo.exe
[*] set up Wine for this WINEPREFIX (and therefore the game)
[list=1]
[*] run the Wine config tool with the game's WINEPREFIX by running
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_sbcg4ap winecfg
[*] on the "Applications" tab, set the Windows version to Windows XP
[*] on the Audio tab, say OK to the box telling you to edit your audio settings and it will set some defaults. check they make sense.
[*] add DLL overrides. to do this, go to the "Libraries" tab and add each of the following:
[list]
[*] d3d9
[*] ole32
[*] rpcrt4
[/list]
by choosing from the list (or typing) and then clicking add, for each.
[*] for each of the overrides above, click its entry in the list of "Existing overrides" and click "Edit". choose "Built-in (Wine)" from the menu and click OK.
[*] optional (do this if you're having problems with the game screen or just want to run in a window): on the "Graphics" tab, check "Emulate a virtual desktop" and enter the resolution you want.
[*] click "Apply" and then "Close"
[/list]
[/list]
[*] start the game
double click the launcher, enter your My Telltale login information (if asked) and then click on the green area at right about the level of Strong Bad's feet; unfortunately the image that should be there doesn't appear.
[/list]

to install the second episode, make sure you run the installer in your SBCG4AP environment: env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_sbcg4ap wine ~/Desktop/Strong_Badia_the_Free_setup.exe
this time, you can say no to the DirectX question. if you do, you need to put a link to the DLL which the DirectX installer would have added (already in the Episode 1 directory) for Episode 2 after installing by running ln -s \"../Episode 1 - Homestar Ruiner/d3dx9_27.dll\" ~/.wine_sbcg4ap/drive_c/\"Program Files/Telltale Games/Strong Bad/Episode 2 - Strong Badia the Free/\"
then the launcher the game puts on your desktop should work just fine.

to install the third, do the same stuff as for the second, but the link command will be a tad different:
ln -s \"../Episode 1 - Homestar Ruiner/d3dx9_27.dll\" ~/.wine_sbcg4ap/drive_c/\"Program Files/Telltale Games/Strong Bad/Episode 3 - Baddest of the Bands/\"

96 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I just downloaded the free Episode 5 from the Trogday deal, and everything works except that I still reliably have the flamin’ “missing eyes” bug. (Actually, characters seem to have no faces at all; is this the same problem that everyone else was having?)

I’m running this on a Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet, with some kind of Intel integrated graphics. (“Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c),” according to lspci.) I use Ubuntu 9.10 “Karmic Koala,” and my Wine version is the latest dev release from the Wine repository. Please help!

• No one ever has faces/eyes? It's a known bug that they can occasionally vanish, and it does seem like it happens more frequently on some cards than others, but if it's ALWAYS gone, then it probably is a driver/DirectX issue. Though I'm not sure what sort of luck you will have with updating a GM965. Those intel integrated cards aren't really designed for gaming even under the best conditions I'm afraid.

• @Will said: No one ever has faces/eyes? It's a known bug that they can occasionally vanish, and it does seem like it happens more frequently on some cards than others, but if it's ALWAYS gone, then it probably is a driver/DirectX issue. Though I'm not sure what sort of luck you will have with updating a GM965. Those intel integrated cards aren't really designed for gaming even under the best conditions I'm afraid.

Yeah, it’s sad. The worst part is that virtually all tablets are bereft of dedicated graphics, and yet, a tablet would be the best way to play a 3D adventure game, wouldn’t it? Argh.

The game (well, uh, the title screen and main menu) seem to work just fine on the machine (minus the faces, of course), though I put the graphics quality on “low” just in case.

I can try some unstable Intel graphics drivers from repositories and such, but in the meantime, any advice on where to go from here? Any leads that might help? I know... “getting SBCG4AP to work on an Ubuntu machine with terrible Intel graphics” is a pretty obscure query, but since I’m pretty computer-literate even vague ideas might help. Thanks!

• Well unfortunately, I haven't done anything with Linux in probably 7 years now, so I'm probably not your best resource. All I can suggest is fiddling with your graphics drivers and whatever you are using for DirectX. One of those two is surely the culprit.

• Having failed to run it on my machine, I tried running it on my brother’s Mac Mini using Wine. I followed all the instructions, and the launcher works, and I was able to verify my copy with Telltale... but as soon as it tries to run the game proper, the screen goes white (except for the Mac OS menubar and dock) and the game crashes outright.

So, three questions:

1) Has anyone tried doing this on a Mac, before?
    2) If Strong Bad wins the Mac games poll, when the Mac version is released, will those of us able to verify our copies of the Windows version get to download the corresponding Mac version as well? (That would give me a reason to pick up the $10 season package while I can, hint hint)
    3) Now that you’re porting the Telltale Tool around, might I suggest Linux as your next goal? Linux users are a key niche; we’re the sort to whom people look for computer advice and recommendations. We evangelize for products we like!

• @Tina Russell said: 2) If Strong Bad wins the Mac games poll, when the Mac version is released, will those of us able to verify our copies of the Windows version get to download the corresponding Mac version as well? (That would give me a reason to pick up the $10 season package while I can, hint hint)

If you buy the game, you buy it for both systems. So yes, you'd be able to download it for Mac when it's released (which it will be whether Strong Bad wins or not, the rest is just a matter of time). At least it's that way with Tales of Monkey Island.

• Sorry for bumping this old thread, but when I tried this out, it didn't work, it tells me that Homestar101.exe had a serious error so it has to crash, how can I fix this?

• I had to do
    winetricks ie6 d3dx9_36
    and then I had to click blindly where the 'play now' button is supposed
    to appear. Other than that, it seems to work.

See http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=13380
    for more info.

• [quote]cp -a ~/.ies4linux/ie6 ~/.wine_sbcg4ap[/quote]

Gives this:

cp: cannot stat `/home/lucradia/.ies4linux/ie6': No such file or directory

Yep, I installed via ies4linux.

• I get this problem when trying to run BTTF: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26371

(Somehow, I didn't need to create the wine prefix)

Add Comment