User Avatar Image

Foreign Monkey Island logos

posted by thin029 on - last edited - Viewed by 455 users

So, what is Monkey Island called in your language? How different is its logo? Post your pics too!
This is my Brazilian Portuguese EFMI CD:
001.jpg

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I strongly dislike French versions. I once bought a copy of Full Throttle on eBay: in all outward appearances it was English, until I installed it. French only! Maddening.

I feel the same about Dutch versions. There you go buying a game with English titles and everything (had this experience with "The Longest Journey" and "Experience 112") only to find out all the voices are dubbed! That's what you get for not reading the fine print on the box.

• For some reason I find stuff like this fascinating.

I think there should be a site somewhere that catalogs the box covers for each of the games from different locales. Heck, I'd donate the space/bandwidth =)

• @Little Writer said: I strongly dislike French versions. I once bought a copy of Full Throttle on eBay: in all outward appearances it was English, until I installed it. French only! Maddening.

Oh, I remember once I bought a DVD only to find out it was French-dub only O.O
    I had never seen that before with a DVD. I always checked VHS to make sure they were subtitled and not dubbed, but DVDs normally always have the original language. I was so annoyed.
    It happened to me twice, actually. Once with a James Bond movie (the one where the actor for Bond was dubbed in English, which is probably the reason) and one with a season of Dr Who.
    Both were returned as fast as humanly possible.

I'm used to translated games but I like having the option. That's the good thing with European releases, you can play them in a whole variety of languages. Of course, many games are Japanese so it's a translation anyways, but at least you get to choose your favourite one. Plus I'm almost sure that they tend to translate games from a translation and not the original Japanese. It's ridiculous, they translate manga directly from Japanese, why can't they do that for games? A translation of a translation is, well, not ideal.

However, I recently discovered something weird. I had Curse of Monkey Island installed on my computer in French and my husband had the CD in English, or the opposite. We put the CD of the version that was not installed, and it worked anyways. Can't remember in which language though...

• I want to see the irish version:

"The Secret of Monkey Ireland"

• I'd rather see the Secret of Monkey Iceland.

• "The Secret of Monkey Pieland"

• Oh, I remember once I bought a DVD only to find out it was French-dub only O.O
    I had never seen that before with a DVD. I always checked VHS to make sure they were subtitled and not dubbed, but DVDs normally always have the original language. I was so annoyed.
    It happened to me twice, actually. Once with a James Bond movie (the one where the actor for Bond was dubbed in English, which is probably the reason) and one with a season of Dr Who.
    Both were returned as fast as humanly possible.

Yeah, this happens, mostly on cheap editions that just don't bother. Kinda got used to that with the really bad Z-movies we find sometimes (which are even funnier due to the awful dubbing anyway).

• I hate dubbing.. Even on cartoons, I learned english by watching cartoons, and playing videogames. Now every cartoon is dutch. it just feels fake. And it doesn't help children to learn english. not that I still watch cartoons........:rolleyes:

• Well i thought you guys almost never got dubs ?
    Talked to a few dutch people over the internet, all of them's english was pretty good and all of them told me they'd learned basically the way you did, and the mere idea of dubbing movies seemed crazy to them.
    And i thought that was great.
    Is that changing ?

Add Comment