User Avatar Image

Foreign Monkey Island logos

posted by thin029 on - last edited - Viewed by 489 users

So, what is Monkey Island called in your language? How different is its logo? Post your pics too!
This is my Brazilian Portuguese EFMI CD:
001.jpg

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Children's thing are usually dubbed (badly), but most teenage/adult things are subtitled.

• @Ripcord said: I think there should be a site somewhere that catalogs the box covers for each of the games from different locales.

There is: http://www.mobygames.com/home

• @Astro Gnocci said: Well i thought you guys almost never got dubs ?
    Talked to a few dutch people over the internet, all of them's english was pretty good and all of them told me they'd learned basically the way you did, and the mere idea of dubbing movies seemed crazy to them.
    And i thought that was great.
    Is that changing ?

Not that I know off... then again, I never really watched cartoons.
    Actually, it seems more and more disney movies are now shown on TV in english with subs unlike the dutch it was back when I was still watching TV.
    I do remember there was a major outrage when they decided to dub "Black&White" and they had to make an english patch just for us. Most games that allow dutch also allow english anyway, and I see no reason why not to pick that superior option. It's nice for children when dutch is available though. I remember being like 5 and getting 2 games, Emergency (Dutch) and Lego Island (English). Being 5, I couldn't really figure out what to do in that kids game... :? (And now I am too old to care :D).

• @Visstix said: I hate dubbing.. Even on cartoons, I learned english by watching cartoons, and playing videogames. Now every cartoon is dutch. it just feels fake. And it doesn't help children to learn english. not that I still watch cartoons........:rolleyes:

Moreso because it isn't normal when something dubbed in your mother tongue actually becomes harder to understand than the original. No offense, but Dutch voice actors are masters in high, squeaky, ADHDish, all-over-the-place type voices.

• @Little Writer said: No offense, but Dutch voice actors are masters in high, squeaky, ADHDish, all-over-the-place type voices.

Yeah Spongebob sounds alright in dutch.

• @Little Writer said: No offense, but Dutch voice actors are masters in high, squeaky, ADHDish, all-over-the-place type voices.

None taken.
    Maybe you guys should subtitle Dutch like we always subtitle Belgian speaking programs/people? :p

• @Hassat Hunter said: then again, I never really watched cartoons.

What??? Maybe it's different for the Hollandaise, but to me that's like saying "as a child, I never ate breakfast" or "as a child, I didn't play games of any kind", or "as a child, I mostly spent my time preparing other people's taxes. I was especially fond of forms involving property abatements".

• Meh, just some of the Disney. The rest was pretty sucky. It's only worse for today's youth. No wonder all kids are such a pain in the...

Well, actually now I am kind of wondering what the hell I was doing as a kid. Not watching TV, not playing videogames (yet), certainly not playing outside. Huh...

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Hassat Hunter said: Well, actually now I am kind of wondering what the hell I was doing as a kid. Not watching TV, not playing videogames (yet), certainly not playing outside. Huh...

Extended childhood amnesia?

Add Comment