User Avatar Image

Now that we know the end of TMI, what's in store for MI6 (your ideas)

posted by DeLuca on - last edited - Viewed by 475 users

Okay, the assumptions (I know there are no facts to back this up) of this thread is that TTG will make another MI that takes place after TMI, and that Guybrush will be our main character.

What do you think/want to happen?!

47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @PecanBlue said: Anyway, I think you pretty much explained your own statement. She punched him because of the situation. It's **COMEDIC TIMING**, I don't really think it reflects on their entire relationship, it was just there for a laugh.

I know. And in Curse, it didn't shock me that much. You see plenty of violence in Monkey Island anyways.
    But when every time they meet something like that happens due to the situation, it just gives a wrong idea. That's why I'm saying, I don't think it's representative of their relationship, but we get to see mostly things like that, and that annoys me.

@PecanBlue said: This comparison is too much of a stretch, she was emotional at the end of chapter 4, while in chapter 2 her attitude toward everything was a composed "we gotta fix dis crap."

Yeah. I guess I just didn't like the death scene. It seemed to me like it was trying to be overly dramatic and failed big time. I feel Elaine yelling "Guybrush" over and over had much less of an impact than if she had said something like "No, no, no" while holding her head in her hands or something. I mostly didn't like the way she was saying it. It's really the only scene I didn't like the voice acting for (Except for LeChuck, both human and not, who is just perfect).

@PecanBlue said: She's also let out anger on various other people, mostly LeChuck. She is just a short-tempered person, it is part of her personality.

Yes, I didn't mean that as "she mean to Guybrush only". Him being her husband, it would make sense that she would be herself more with him than other people, and that does involve snapping and things like that. But as I said earlier, my point is that I wish we didn't get to see them act like that mostly in such situations.

@PecanBlue said: Everyone has small things about their partner that bothers them, it is completely natural.

Once again, yes it's normal, but we get a high ratio of that when it's really a minimal part of a healthy relationship, and I'm sure of their relationship, too.

@PecanBlue said: There was another thread where there was a whole discussion on this, and a writer came in and said the ring was complete faith. There was no planning with the ring and she absolutely did not plan for him to die. It creates a weird inconsistency at the end sure, but it doesn't make her seem like an evil, manipulating jerk.

Which is good. I guess they added that in the end as a "Guybrush sees too much in it and Elaine lets him". Which still makes her sound like a "know-it-all" ("You should know I always have a plan") but at least that's not as bad. Still, I preferred when she sounded like a know-it-all by correcting "esponja" at the end, that was much funnier.

@PecanBlue said: It doesn't matter much anyway, the whole trust thing was part of their conflict in Tales, I reckon it was solved by the end.

I hope so. I really dislike the sitcom-like thing about misunderstandings that only happen because both parts of the couple lie to each other, thinking if they tell the truth it will lead to an argument. Which they both did to some extent (GB about Morgan, Elaine about the Voodoo Lady).
    I'm always thinking "that's not like real relationships work. You talk things through. You communicate. If you tell you spouse you happened to be standing next to someone of your spouse's gender, you know they won't assume you had sex with them, so you don't hide it".
    I can't imagine ever telling my husband "I'm going to go see a movie with a fiend and then grab some food" and consciously hide the fact that the friend is male, for instance.
    Actually, I can't imagine telling him that without naming the person, and either have him know exactly who I'm talking about, or explain it there and then "it's a friend from work" or "it's a friend I met online" or whatever.

And if for some reason he thought it was a female even though I never hid the fact it was a male, and he realised later it was a male (which would happen when I told him about our day out, I mean I can't imagine never using the word "he"), I don't see anything further than "oh, I thought it was a female" from him.

And it just beats me why anyone would would be hiding things like that would stay with a person they feel the need to hide stuff from.

@PecanBlue said: Say what?

I mean the "you smell like a female! I'm going to kill her!"
    She immediately assumes the worst. It's not like there haven't been other females before. Carla, Kate... Elaine doesn't strike me as an extremely jealous "no-woman-is-allowed-near-my-husband" type of person. And although it's true Morgan has a crush on him, she has no way of knowing that.
    I'll give you that Guybrush has been acting suspiciously, which bring me back to what I said above.

Seriously, if my husband told me there was a woman who was in love with him, I'd only be sad that she's having a one-way love because I've been there before. There is no way I could be upset with her, especially considering her obviously good taste in men.

I can see the "Guybrush is so completely oblivious that Elaine feels the need to defend him from her claws" but still, feeling the need to defend someone does still mean you don't trust them to defend themselves.

• About the Morgan thing: she was completely poxed out when that happened. The pox would be an illness that transfers LeChuck's mannerisms on to other people, so it's mostly LeChuck showing through her murderous jealousy. I don't really think she's the jealous type normally. (and I hope they don't make her that way later!!!) LeChuck brings up Morgan and claims Guybrush had an affair of sorts to Elaine near the end and she's all "huh?" but doesn't even bring it up later.

• @PecanBlue said: LeChuck brings up Morgan and claims Guybrush had an affair of sorts to Elaine near the end and she's all "huh?" but doesn't even bring it up later.

I definitely hope she's not going to be all jealous and stuff. It certainly wouldn't have fitted at all if she hadn't been poxed, I don't think. Plus that would mean doing the same thing all over again.

I think the "huh?" has more to do with the fact that she seems to have forgotten everything that happened while she was poxed. I don't see how they could have included her asking about that later in the game, to be honest. Which I'm glad they didn't, it would have seemed out of place. We can assume Guybrush mentioned Morgan, what happened, how she died, and everything off camera. We don't have to see Guybrush explain things that we already know happened.

Anyway, my point is, the way she's been shown, I dislike Elaine. But it is normal to dislike some aspects of someone, and I can see there is more to her, and I want to see that side of her. I understand there is more potential for both story and humour when things go wrong but they can go wrong in ways that don't involve relationship problems.
    I was mostly indifferent to Elaine in the first two games. She was an independent, strong woman and that's always nice, but I felt we didn't see enough about her for me to really "know" her. She really felt like "the perfect woman who is head over heels for the hero for no reason we can see".
    Later, when we got to see more of her, it was always in situations when we didn't get to see her good side much. And often we didn't get to see her period.

I can dismiss what I dislike about Elaine as being her bad side but I'm sick of seeing pretty much that side only. I wish we could see her interact with Guybrush more, see how they work together towards a goal and so on.

• @avistew said: And often we didn't get to see her period.

I think I can live without seeing that :p sorry >_>

@avistew said: I wish we could see her interact with Guybrush more, see how they work together towards a goal and so on.

I second that, it seems like that could make for an interesting story and shine better light on their relationship. It would also be a good opportunity to flesh out Elaine more, because, as has been established, we've seen relatively little of her throughout the games.

• @avistew said: I definitely hope she's not going to be all jealous and stuff. It certainly wouldn't have fitted at all if she hadn't been poxed, I don't think. Plus that would mean doing the same thing all over again.

I got the impression that the pox essentially "brought out the bad" in people. It seemed to me that Elaine's reaction was an approximation of something she might have normally felt a lot more subtlety, but now exaggerated. Also, it made her green.

I can imagine a not-green mirrored scene, with Morgan as an aggressor. I think it makes sense, since she has to fight against Guybrush sometime, since her existence as a ghost is supposed to keep LeChuck's side of the scale equally weighted toward balance.

• Eh, I hope not. If Morgan were to return with a big role again I was kind of hoping she'd at least get more development as a pirate hunter, (I want to find out why she became such a thing even when being a fan of an actual pirate at least!) rather then keep going with this "<3 Guybrush" thing and turning into some female version of LeChuck. :| Wouldn't mind her becoming friends with Elaine instead of constantly being jealous of her, either. She certainly seemed to have no problem with her by the end of Tales, anyway, which I liked because her fangirl resentment toward her at the beginning seemed very childish.

• @PecanBlue said: Wouldn't mind her becoming friends with Elaine instead of constantly being jealous of her, either. She certainly seemed to have no problem with her by the end of Tales, anyway, which I liked because her fangirl resentment toward her at the beginning seemed very childish.

I'd really like to see this too. By the end of Tales, my impression was that Morgan had come to terms with the fact that Elaine was always going to be the only woman for Guybrush, hence her encouraging him to go back and save her after Elaine became LeChuck's demon bride. Plus I'd also imagine that in her non-Poxed state, Elaine would have enough self-confidence and enough faith in her husband to not be jealous of/paranoid about Morgan.

And they could bond over stories of all the ridiculous/humiliating situations Guybrush has put himself in over the years... *imagines*

-Elaine- ...and then he walks in, wearing nothing but a pair of boots and a frilly pink dress!
    -Morgan- Ha! Tell me you got pictures!
    -Elaine- Well, now that you mention it...

• During the game Guybrush and Morgan developed a friendship and if she returns I'd rather see that.
    I wouldn't like something like "she has to follow the voodoo lady and as a result to be GB's enemy even though she wishes to be his friends"... That's pretty much what already happened in season 1 (except then she was bound to her contract to the Marquis).

It would be nicer if she could be a friend of the couple.

You know, when I played Tales, something I didn't mention is how excited I was by the whole "LeChuck becoming human" thing. And when you learned the Voodoo Lady was pulling the strings I was thinking "neat! we're done with killing LeChuck every game over and over again, now he's pox-free and he can be your ally and there can be other enemies for a change!".

I was disappointed when he was faking all along. Human LeChuck was such a neat character, I would have liked for him to stick around.

• @avistew said:
    I was disappointed when he was faking all along. Human LeChuck was such a neat character, I would have liked for him to stick around.

I was okay with the faking part, but it was dissatisfying that it was not clarified up to what extent the Voodoo Lady was actually in control of LeChuck and his doing. After all, her journal exists and she doesn't deny at all that it belongs to her and that she's done more than obviously helping Guybrush in his quests all those past years.

• @Mermaid said: I was okay with the faking part, but it was dissatisfying that it was not clarified up to what extent the Voodoo Lady was actually in control of LeChuck and his doing. After all, her journal exists and she doesn't deny at all that it belongs to her and that she's done more than obviously helping Guybrush in his quests all those past years.

i think shes like Dalek Caan of doctor who manipulating advents so they allways meet ant the right time and that theres allways enough handy objects for guybrush to use

Add Comment