User Avatar Image

What went wrong with LucasArts...

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 868 users

You know... this MI epic-ness has me wondering. What exactly went wrong with LucasArts back when adventure games died anyway? I know someone is going to tell me that some executive(s) higher up made decisions to cut back funding to adventure games, but bad sales on one or two games is not enough explanation why the whole adventure gaming industry died for several years.

I don't know if any of the Telltale Team can even respond to this, but several things don't make sense to me:

1) Why, when SMI and MI2 were apparently so popular, did LA dump any idea of Ron's MI3 and wait 6 years to create CMI?

2) Why, when CMI's animation looks wonderful, did they use a blocky and ugly looking "3D" style for EMI that was also entirely devoid of mouse controls and market it to console gamers? Why couldn't they make another MI game that looked similar to CMI? I love that game's graphics style.

3) Why did they drop Sam and Max: Freelance Police or stop making Monkey Island games altogether after EMI?

... as far as the rest of the industry goes, I've read that the reason why King's Quest 8 sucks as much as it does is because some exec told Roberta Williams of Sierra On-line to make it that way. That doesn't make sense since KQ6 was extremely popular, why change the formula?

It just doesn't make sense to me. If a developer creates a game and it's successful, and then for the next game they are pressured to make it look/feel a certain way which turns out to fail, why quit the whole industry? Why not just go back to what worked in the first place?

Suffice it to say, I don't understand why LA stopped making adventure games, or stopped making future installments of Monkey Island (SMISE doesn't count) just because sales for EMI were apparently lackluster. It doesn't mean there's no market, just that they made the game different than people wanted.

53 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Falanca said: What went wrong with LucasArts?

George Lucas happened.

Amen.

Well, "George Lucas turned 45" is probably more accurate. I'm not sure why or what happened to him around that time, but his brain broke, or he stopped listening to people, or something. The empire underneath him was never the same.

• I love that if you go to the LucasArts site right now and look at their current "Games" list, the entire list is comprised of 6 Star Wars games, 2 Indiana Jones, and 1...Monkey Island =)

• @Secret Fawful said: HA HA HA HA HA! I thought only Roberta Williams could slay me like that, but you're KILLING me, man!

(Uzrname jumps me and starts beating me up)

Ow! Stop! You're killing me, man!

ANNOUNCER: Well, you've done it this time, Secret. Maybe now you'll view PHYSICAL comedy a little bit differently.

RESTART? RESTORE? QUIT?

"Next time, don't use your head just LITERALLY."

@Secret Fawful said: I love that if you go to the LucasArts site right now and look at their current "Games" list, the entire list is comprised of 6 Star Wars games, 2 Indiana Jones, and 1...Monkey Island =)

Yep, it's MISE. A wonder they didn't take it off yet, actually.

• @Uzrname said: Syberia? German?
    Dude... you are wrong. Do you feel it? Do you feel being wrong? Ah? Ah, well.. take that, y'know.

Most adventures today come from Germany. And Syberia was a modest hit. Don't see where I connected the 2, because I... well... didn't?
    So?...

Dude... you are wrong. Do you feel it? Do you feel being wrong? Ah? Ah, well.. take that, y'know. :p

• @Ripcord said: Amen.

Well, "George Lucas turned 45" is probably more accurate. I'm not sure why or what happened to him around that time, but his brain broke, or he stopped listening to people, or something. The empire underneath him was never the same.

Indeed. I remember watching a late night talk show (I think it was Conan) and George Lucas was asked what his response was to fan criticism of his changing things in the Original Trilogy such as Han Solo shooting Greedo first in Special Edition. Lucas' response was that he is god as far as Star Wars is concerned. That's all the reason he gives, it's his movies so he can do what he wants and damn everyone else if they don't like it.

I hate George Lucas.

I love Star Wars, especially the original version of the Original Trilogy, but aside from that and Revenge of the Sith, the other movies (or versions) are dumb. (btw, yes I heard somewhere that he changed the scene where Greedo dies because "it makes Han into a bad role model." Well, damn it, HE'S A SCOUNDREL. He's supposed to be a bad role model at first.)

EDIT: *sigh* Now, I'm in rant-about-Star-Wars-mode. grr. I guess that's what casting bad actors and creating pointless character-altering retcons can do. I'm sure you all understand *cough*Herman*cough*Toothrot*cough*.

• @avistew said: Probably it wasn't worth the financial risk? If adventure games are a smaller market to begin with, and the games themselves have a higher chance to be hit-or-miss, it might make them decide to focus on what they know will sell, what's safe.

So yeah, maybe they thought "okay, let's give it a last chance with Escape and base our decision on that. If it doesn't sell then it means people don't like adventure games anymore". And when it wasn't received as well as the previous ones, they concluded there wasn't market for it anymore?
    I don't know, it's just speculation. We can see it as a bad move from our point of view, but from theirs? Not necessarily, they could focus on games that might make them more money.

Adventure games probably cost a lot to make. They're dialogue heavy so if everything is voiced that's a lot of actors to hire, for instance. And in the end it might not sell that well, especially compared to some of their other games such as Star Wars games, that are pretty much sure to sell.
    So, from a business point of view, it might have been a smart move.

This is what happened. Around that time all adventure games took massive hit and were not seen as being profitable. The rise of the internet didn't help, walkthroughs etc..

As an old adventurer I remember playing text Scott Adams adventures on my vic-20 - almost no hints possible. Once a month I bought C&VG and there was one adventure page with some hints on it (upside down) and maybe, just maybe if you were lucky the adventure game you were playing was featured. In those days you really did tear your hair out trying everything, but it was better.

It's the same with the start of WOW (blasphemy to mention.. :) I don't play any more) - when it hit everything was just adventure and discovery. Now we get screenshots, all quests, objects etc laid out before we even get to play the patch/expansion, ruins the experience - you even get markers on screen (through addon) telling you where you need to go so you can play with your eyes closed. Shame... It's up to player's discretion though of course.

• @Steverin0 said: walkthroughs etc..

I fail to see how that meant the end of adventure games, as opposed to making them MORE open and accessible to gamers. And possibly done faster, so they can faster spend time (Read: money) on the sequel... :confused:

• Well once you know the solution to a game the game virtually becomes meaningless and boring. You can really only play adventure games once.

• @daro2096 said: Well once you know the solution to a game the game virtually becomes meaningless and boring. You can really only play adventure games once.

But people don't keep buying the same game until they know what to do. They buy it once, so the time it takes them to figure out what to do doesn't change how many copies they buy.
    Plus people who don't want to use walkthroughs just don't look at them, that's as simple as that, really.

And I disagree about playing an adventure game several times. Good adventure games you replay over and over again. And I'd say you can replay them more if you used a walkthrough, because you're less likely to remember the solutions than if it took your 3 days before you figured it out.

• @avistew said: And I disagree about playing an adventure game several times. Good adventure games you replay over and over again. And I'd say you can replay them more if you used a walkthrough, because you're less likely to remember the solutions than if it took your 3 days before you figured it out.

That's not always true though. I was so annoyed with a puzzle in EfMI that I looked up the solution in a walkthrough. The solution to that puzzle is just about the only thing I still remember about the entire game :p
    I should replay that game...

Add Comment