User Avatar Image

The "Science is Awesome" Thread

posted by Will on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Since we have a general history thread, I thought I'd throw together a quick science thread as well. Because science is awesome.

My first link is for you chemistry fans. Or for people who just like really clever writing. I think that applies to a goodly percentage of you out there. Derek Lowe is a doctor of organic chemistry with a good head on his shoulders. One of his goals in life is to keep said head on his shoulders by avoiding certain chemicals. It's a pretty humorous list of all the ways that chemicals can seriously ruin your day.

There's a fair bit of high level chemistry involved, but you can usually zip over the more technical terms and just assume that when he says that something "absolutely takes the corrosive exploding cake," he knows what he is talking about.

287 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I must have that shirt. Wherever did you find it?
    ________
    herbal vaporizers

• Thinkgeek, where you can also get this shirt.
    abd4_day_without_fusion.jpg

• @brunner said: For those of you who are factually oriented, Bad Science is a great site. Dr. Ben Goldacre debunks a lot of nonsense pseudo-science that is presented in the mainstream media.

Another good blog in that same vein is Dr. Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy.

• @GinnyN said: Good. Somehow, that make me feel better (Lie. I STILL have to do that modern physics class... T_T)

I guess that mostly because Math is a tool created by the physicists for made their work easier. So Physics is applied Math, BUT Math exists because physics.

Actually MATHS can only be said have been discovered, above invented. The underlying rules have always been the same. No science has been created, it has been discovered. Sociology and Psychology are not sciences.

Also even if you were to say MATHS was discovered by physicists you would be wrong. Maths underlies everything we do, not just sciences, look at languages, they are essentially Mathematical equations stating things, as you would understand from logic.

• @patters said: Also even if you were to say MATHS was discovered by physicists you would be wrong. Maths underlies everything we do, not just sciences, look at languages, they are essentially Mathematical equations stating things, as you would understand from logic.

Maybe you can explain that one to me? I'm very good with languages but I'm totally clueless with maths, I just don't get them. At least I get chemistry, it's like cooking except eating is discouraged (which makes it a lame version of cooking in my book. Eating is the best part!)

• @avistew said: Maybe you can explain that one to me? I'm very good with languages but I'm totally clueless with maths, I just don't get them. At least I get chemistry, it's like cooking except eating is discouraged (which makes it a lame version of cooking in my book. Eating is the best part!)

It's not the same thing most consider to be maths, it's not calculus, it's not standard algebra. Logic is essentially a root language, though symbolised after many languages. The premise is that a language is simply a set of particular equations following a few of which certain assumptions can be made. So given f.e.

Either Bill is honest or Monica is lying. Monica is not lying.

Therefore Bill is not honest.

A language is a mathematical set, from which a subset exists which contains the sentences.

That is probably not a great explanation, but it's a topic I am not that familiar with yet.

• @avistew said: Maybe you can explain that one to me? I'm very good with languages but I'm totally clueless with maths, I just don't get them. At least I get chemistry, it's like cooking except eating is discouraged (which makes it a lame version of cooking in my book. Eating is the best part!)

I sort of with you on this one (well, i'm good at both, but the point stands). Modern maths isn't the root of language. However, it is the closest thing we have to a universal language. Throughout the universe 1+3=4, but Cup doesn't necessarily mean a drinking vessel.

Interesting factoid: Maths and languages use the same side of the brain.

• So, by "maths" you meant "logic"? >.>

Well, then pigs are cars, and by cars I mean "mammals" :P

Nah, I know maths requires logic, but saying maths IS logic, well, that's just not true, or everything requires maths... Which I guess is your point. But I'd say math uses logic, just like it uses numbers, but it's neither. Languages use logics, just like they use sounds/letters, but they aren't them. And so on.

• @avistew said: So, by "maths" you meant "logic"? >.>

Well, then pigs are cars, and by cars I mean "mammals" :P

Nah, I know maths requires logic, but saying maths IS logic, well, that's just not true, or everything requires maths... Which I guess is your point. But I'd say math uses logic, just like it uses numbers, but it's neither. Languages use logics, just like they use sounds/letters, but they aren't them. And so on.

No I'm saying logic is maths.

• @patters said: No I'm saying logic is maths.

I disagree. Logic isn't maths and maths isn't logic. Maths uses logic as applied to numbers. You could tell me "maths is a language" or "maths uses a language" and then I'd get what you mean. But maths isn't logic. it uses logic, like most things do.

And even then, not always. Algebra and geometry were okay with me (even though you spend 99.9% of the class thinking "and that's going to be useful to me because...?) but then it reached the point of "okay, remember how square numbers are always positive? Well now we're going to study the roots of negative numbers!" "But, sir, didn't we learn that's it's not possible?" "It's not! That's the fun part! It's abstract maths!"
    Oh, because normal maths wasn't abstract enough for you? -_-'

Add Comment