User Avatar Image

Telltale needs to hire these guys.

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 205 users

Some guys remade a bunch of Blood Island backgrounds and characters in 3d, and their work is stunning. Now this is Monkey Island.

storageroom.jpg

shipwreck1.jpg

More artwork here.

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, here's some 2D for ya. From the same link. Really, I'm surprised none of the rabid Sam & Max fans around here posted this already

sm1.jpg

• Heh, most of these are pretty old. Mixnmojo just happened to re-launch the site recently.

• Wow, maybe you can make a special edition of Curse...

It's not perfect, but I'm a little more willing to see what can be done with it.

• @Thriftweed Fancy Pants said: Wow, maybe you can make a special edition of Curse...

It's not perfect, but I'm a little more willing to see what can be done with it.

Re-scan the art, make it high-res, and, if you reallyyyy have to, add new models for the characters so that shadows grow when they stand under trees, etc. Smooth out some of the animation (the bit where Guybrush sighs at the opening has always been a little clunky). Maybe get the original guys to extend the epilogue. Maybe.

Otherwise, leave it alone. Don't even make the clouds move. Leave. It. Alone.

• @Kroms said: Re-scan the art, make it high-res, and, if you reallyyyy have to, add new models for the characters so that shadows grow when they stand under trees, etc. Smooth out some of the animation (the bit where Guybrush sighs at the opening has always been a little clunky). Maybe get the original guys to extend the epilogue. Maybe.

Otherwise, leave it alone. Don't even make the clouds move. Leave. It. Alone.

Pretty much this and have the audio at 48Khz for Vocals and SFX and 44.1Khz for Music, and not have it compressed like Tales (no offence to Telltale but I can see why they do it), that's all Curse needs if it were to be updated, just rescanned at a higher resolution and better colour depth and higher frequency uncompressed audio.

• I dunno it doesn't feel right. some environments look good, but the people look terrible. And like Hassat Hunter said: 3D never beats beautiful handcrafted 2D. I love 2d

• I thought this thread would be about the guys who made "Ben There Dan That" and "Time Gentlemen Please."

• @Ash735 said: Pretty much this and have the audio at 48Khz for Vocals and SFX and 44.1Khz for Music, and not have it compressed like Tales (no offence to Telltale but I can see why they do it), that's all Curse needs if it were to be updated, just rescanned at a higher resolution and better colour depth and higher frequency uncompressed audio.

This is what I've been saying for months. However, to get there we need MI2 Special Edition first, so hopefully LucasArts won't divert its attention from us Monkey Island fans too soon.

• Wow, these look really good. I'm liking 'em a lot

• @Ash735 said: Pretty much this and have the audio at 48Khz for Vocals and SFX and 44.1Khz for Music, and not have it compressed like Tales (no offence to Telltale but I can see why they do it), that's all Curse needs if it were to be updated, just rescanned at a higher resolution and better colour depth and higher frequency uncompressed audio.

Tales is currently uncompressed in the new versions.

Add Comment