User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: Well, I won't either (RTS games aren't my thing), but it was more a generalization than an actual fact, or something similar that means I'm right and you're wrong.

Either way I'm screwed. Or at least, I would be if I didn't want to give Activision any money. They publish games with Spider-Man on the cover. If anything can sell me on a mediocre game, it would be the ability to swing through New York as Spider-Man.

I suppose I could buy them used just out of spite, though?

• @Murray the Chao said: I don't recall LucasArts killing off a fan game.

About ten years ago LucasArts was notorious for shuttering fan projects. They lightened up after a while, though, and entered into "official hosting" agreements for fan projects with places like LucasFiles and AtomFilms. I don't know the state of that stuff at this point though.

• @Darth Marsden said: I love this sort of attitude. Especially since it's all moot and we'll all be grabbing Starcraft II (all three parts).

Nice try, but I have about zero interest in starcraft. :D

• @Jake said: About ten years ago LucasArts was notorious for shuttering fan projects. They lightened up after a while, though, and entered into "official hosting" agreements for fan projects with places like LucasFiles and AtomFilms. I don't know the state of that stuff at this point though.

Looks like they are still supporting some fan projects:
    LucasFiles Fan Projects
    Most of those are mods for no-LucasArts games and all of it is Star Wars, but still...
    Also, projects like Darkness of Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and Fountain of Youth or Shadows of the Empire (the adventure game) are still living and (I hope) doing well.
    Just guess much has changed after Jim Ward left.

• I was really looking forward to this, such an incredible amount of love and hard work was put into it. ;(

• First of all, can someone change the topic title to IX instead of XI?

Phoenix Online Studios should have been more prepared for this. After all, when Vivendi acquired Sierra, they received a C&D which required that the name be changed. They should have been prepared a plan to avoid future legal issues if Vivendi was acquired by another company, such as allowing the King's Quest rights to be sold to someone else, such as, say, Telltale games. TSL was planned to be released in episodes, so it would have been a good fit.

• For any fans of this great game, I come bearing SAD news :(

http://www.tsl-game.com/

Game has received a Cease & Desist from Activision. Unlike Vivendi, who has been bought by Activision, I doubt the TSL team could work out any deal to get this game released.

Think about this for a second: 8 years of hard work, ALL FOR NOTHING! This is a sad, sad day for Adventurer gamers :(

• If Activision sells the license I hope its bought by a company that have the skill to treat it right.... that fan game is all good, as a fan game but as an officially licensed game? No thanks.

• Purchasing the license would take thousands of dollars, wouldn't it?

Add Comment