Menu
User Avatar Image

Good books thread

posted by Kroms on - last edited - Viewed by 623 users

H'okay, so I searched the forums and there's no book thread. Considering that a large part of adventure games' appeal lies in the writing, and that I'm assuming a lot of you like adventure games, it's not unreasonable to conclude that some of you like books.

So, got any good ones? Both fiction and non-fiction count; if it's fiction, a good story is a must, and good prose, dialogue and characters earn you an extra virtual pat on the back.

The last two books I read that I put down thinking were spectacular were The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler, and Let the Right One In, by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I'll stick to The Big Sleep, just to give you a good first impression of this thread by keeping it short.

Although convoluted, the story's good and the mystery's interesting enough to keep you plowing, but the style and atmosphere of the thing are excellent. The characters and dialogue deserve a special shout-out as well. This book largely influenced Tim Schafer when working on Grim Fandango, and for good reason. And it's funny - very funny. Here's the first paragraph: [quote]It was about eleven o'clock in the morning, mid October, with the sun not shining and a look of hard wet rain in the clearness of the foothills. I was wearing my powder-blue suit, with dark blue shirt, tie and display handkerchief, black brogues, black wool socks with dark blue clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. I was everything the well-dressed private detective ought to be. I was calling on four million dollars.
[/quote]

Read a bit here.

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • For any fan of the fantasy or even history genre, and even if you are not, I strongly urge you to try out George RR Martin's series, 'A Song of Ice and Fire'. Book 1 is called 'A Game of Thrones'. I had the series sent as a package by my bookclub, and the first three books sat on my shelf for a couple of years gathering dust. I was just so fed up off the scene, with every new fantasy book basically being just another deriative of Lord of the Rings.

However, one summer day I was bored, and stuck for something to do, I pulled the first book from the shelf. At first, I thought it was going to be the usual pulp, fantasy story which any old hack could write. However, I soon noticed that this was something entirely different. Superb. I finished the three books in the same amount of days, and went to meet George himself in Glasgow and got him to sign all of them plus the fourth which I walked out of the shop without paying! Genuine mistake, never meant to nick it!

Word of warning though. Unlike most books in this genre, these are very adult themed. There are occassional sex scenes, lots of swearing, and extremely gory. Also, if you like the good guys to win all the time, you will be in for a disappointment, and you never know which character is going to get the chop next!

Give them a try and let me know what you think.

• The inheritance saga, by christopher paolini is pretty good. The series contains Eragon,Eldest, Brisingr, and the untitled book four. The film just doesn't do the film justice.

Fun fact: There was a doctor who reference in Brisingr.

• Well I've started on the Discworld series, so at least I don't have to worry what to read next for a while!

• @corruptbiggins said: Well I've started on the Discworld series, so at least I don't have to worry what to read next for a while!

I love the discworld series. I got as far as Moving pictures, but haven't read any more since. I have his Autograph aswell (in "a hat full of sky"). I was really sad to hear he had alzheimers, but i'm glad to see it hasn't affected his writing!

• My favorite series of books is the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Its about a kid who figures out he's the son of a greek god, and he's part of a huge prophesy and he must save the world and what-not.

Chris Columbus (director of the first two Harry Potter films) is making it a movie, so I reccamend that you read the first book "The Lightning Thief."

• Would definitely recommend "From Russia, with Love" to anyone who hasn't read it. Forget the films (though in this case, the film is actually very close to the book), this is by far the best of Fleming's work in my view. Was also one of JFK's top 10 books in 1961 too.

However, my favorite series has to be the Starbuck Chronicles, Bernard Cornwell's series about a Northerner fighting for the South in the American Civil War. Excellent stuff, though not complete due to the increased focus on Cornwell's nevertheless brilliant Sharpe series in recent years.

At the moment, I'm trying out the recently translated Witcher books by Sapowski.

• So, what's new in the Telltale Book Corner?

I recently read Charles Willeford's Miami Blues, in my opinion one of the best crime books ever written. These guys excerpted the first two chapters. Check it out.

I also read Dark of the Moon, by John Sandford. As far as mysteries and plot go, it's your run-of-the-mill crime novel, but Sandford's light-hearted and has fun with it, which keeps it fresh. The main character isn't the cliched alcoholic, but a rock-loving optimist. (Rock being the music.) He's not The Dude, nor is he trying to be, but it's a nice change of pace. The story goes off on the occasional tangent, but it's a decent thriller. A beach book, in other words. I'd recommend it for <$15.

I'm reading V, by Thomas Pynchon. I'm only one chapter in, but here are some thoughts:

- Thomas Pynchon has a great handle on prose. I've gotten back into writing and seen how bad my work's gotten, and this has been an injection of pure, unadulterated jealousy. That's the second guy (after Erik Wolpaw) to get me raging in the one month I've been writing. I'm going to have to write some serious, honest, heartfelt but hard-hitting stuff to even begin approaching half the quality those two have dished-out. Yowza. My arteries pulse with anticipation, though my future pulses with misfires. It's wonderful.

- I was surprised at how funny it's been so far. I expected Pynchon to be a literary "elite" (l337), holier-than-ye-low-cultured-swine Harold Bloom-type, talking about neo-classical trans-somethingism. I didn't expect "nipple taps" (they're sailors in a bar, figure it out).

- It's a little wordy, but only if you stop and think about it. Mid-sentence, it feels like every word's measured and there for a reason. I find this rather impressive.

• I'm re-reading Molière's plays and I am delighted at:
    - how hilarious they are
    - how much I remember while reading it, which for some reason makes it even more enjoyable

I actually have memories from performing the plays in primary school, from watching them being performed in the theatre, and so on, as I read. Which is really how you're supposed to enjoy plays anyways.

Oh, also, the edition I downloaded has the original text, in old French, while the ones I studied were converted to modern French. It's pretty much the same except the "ai"s that are written "oi". To give a comparison, imagine a text in English that would use modern expressions and language but have "eth" tackled a bit everywhere.
    Makes the whole thing even funnier if you ask me.

• - The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (The books are better than the movies)
    - Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card
    - The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon series,) by Christopher Paolini

I would highly recommend reading the Harry Potter books before the 2 movies about the final book comes out.

Also, I am currently reading Eldest, book 2 of the Inheritance cycle (otherwise knows as the Eragon series.) I haven't seen the Eragon movie, but my brother-in-law has read the books and seen the movie and he says that the movie sucks and has nothing at all to do with the plot of the book. I personally can say that the books are wonderful, and book 4 isn't out yet.

• I loved Harry Potter as a kid, but think the quality dipped a little towards the end. Rowling got lazy. Hallows had some great parts, but Prince fumbled the ball, tripped over it, smashed its head on the ground and then barely made it to the finish line. The last chapters are great, but for the most part the book's rather empty. (Or maybe I dislike it because a bunch of annoying pre-teenage girls I was related to kept blabbing about Radcliffe, and I couldn't get the cast out of my head as I read the book.)

Add Comment