User Avatar Image

Heavy Rain!

posted by natlinxz on - last edited - Viewed by 388 users

(I was going to make this thread once I finished my Heavy Rain commentary for youtube, but that would take a while. In the meantime...)

So, who's played/bought this game yet? For those who haven't tried it, it's a murder mystery type game, with really weird controls (but they grow on you). It's for PS3.

60 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I totally Enjoyed this game, i thought the story was very gripping and the visuals were breathtaking,its like watching a cinematic movie. i pre-ordered the collectors edition from HMV, and i got it a day early in the UK, it felt like christmas when it came through the post,soon as the post came, i ran downstairs and took it back up to play the game, i actually completed it in that whole day, what can i say the story was so gripping i couldnt put it down...i was tempted to play the bonus extra episode i got with the collectors, but i thought id play it another day,but the best thing about the game it has plenty of replay value, now ill play it again and make different decisons, and see how the story goes,when i told me friend about the game he said "stop trying to sell me the game,im gunna get it anyway", but i laughed and said i dont need to this game sells itself

• Yeah I got the Collector's Edition from HMV too. Annoyed that the soundtrack was delayed, I went and inputed my code before I saw the warning. I guess it was fortunate that HMV sent out codes to everyone.

I got the platinum trophy for Heavy Rain yesterday. Really enjoyed playing it, epic game.

• @StLouisRibs said: Can you just... not open the door?

Sure, but that wouldn't move the story forward.

It's not like there isn't a pre-written story to the game. It has a little wiggle-room here and there, a few branched paths, and several combinations of endings for the different characters (of which not all might make it to the end). But still, you are playing that storyline.

• Well apparently Heavy Rain sold 500, 000 in it's first week and is sold out in many countries. This game could really put the focus back on storytelling in video games. I hope Telltale is watching!

• Because TTG doesn't focuses on story? :rolleyes:

I suppose it would be a little more helpful (for them and me) if you told what TTG should learn from Heavy Rain.

• @Hassat Hunter said: Because TTG doesn't focuses on story? :rolleyes:

I suppose it would be a little more helpful (for them and me) if you told what TTG should learn from Heavy Rain.

No I was thinking if Heavy Rain which is born out of adventure games can be that commercially successful it could pave the way for Telltale to do the same. Play the game if you want to know what can be learnt! I think the dialogue options where you have a single word around their heads and you choose one to direct the conversations was really well implemented.

• I think Heavy Rain’s interface is meant to work with this game. And it works very well, BUT ! Telltale have its own style, and I don’t see why they should change. I’d prefer to have a verb coin, attitude shift, or at least to be able to look at objects before using them, instead of having Heavy Rain like mapped interfaces.

• I get that they were trying to create a sense of momentum and inertia with the character controls... But there was one part where I was being chased by the police, and I was running through stopped traffic. I had gotten a pretty good lead, and just needed to duck between two cars to make my escape. Rather than head between the cars, though, my character just walked back and forth, doing 180s four or five times until I was caught.

Really, video game?

• @[TTG said: Yare;267934']I get that they were trying to create a sense of momentum and inertia with the character controls... But there was one part where I was being chased by the police, and I was running through stopped traffic. I had gotten a pretty good lead, and just needed to duck between two cars to make my escape. Rather than head between the cars, though, my character just walked back and forth, doing 180s four or five times until I was caught.

Really, video game?

Interesting.. when I got to that part, I could go straight though between 2 cars and I thought no I will go to the left around a car to escape..and I had the same experience and got caught :(

Add Comment