User Avatar Image

The Next Chapter of TMI???

posted by Mardagan on - last edited - Viewed by 747 users

Can we get any hints about the possible goings on for the next installment of TMI???

The Rise of the Pirate God couldn't have been the end all say all.

Mardagan

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Rise of the pirate god was the last chapter. Now telltale can create a new SEASON with new episodes, but for now, that is the last episode.

• I could be comfortable with it ending here. I'm kind of afraid that a new installment wouldn't honor the changes made in its predecessor's ending, like a certain other sequel in the Monkey Island series. I'm at a place where I'd be happy to say that it would have continued marvelously, rather than see a botched sequel.

• @Rather Dashing said: I could be comfortable with it ending here. I'm kind of afraid that a new installment wouldn't honor the changes made in its predecessor's ending, like a certain other sequel in the Monkey Island series. I'm at a place where I'd be happy to say that it would have continued marvelously, rather than see a botched sequel.

We all had that same fear with season one of TOMI. I remember my half excitement/horror I felt when booting up Episode 1. I was still cautious with episode 2, I thought they might have just fluked the quality of episode 1.

They pulled off series 1 really well, and all of the sam and max installments have been really good too. But I'd rather Telltale wait a year and work out a decent plot, instead of rushing it and ruining it in the process.

• @Fury said: We all had that same fear with season one of TOMI.

I didn't. I mean, we ended on the ending of Escape. At the very least, from a story perspective, you couldn't get much worse. And it had been a good number of years since I'd seen Guybrush, so whatever he ended up doing would have been nice, as long as Telltale were developing it and they had the original voice and music talent.

Essentially, I wasn't afraid of losing anything because THERE WAS NOTHING TO LOSE.

• @Rather Dashing said: I could be comfortable with it ending here. I'm kind of afraid that a new installment wouldn't honor the changes made in its predecessor's ending, like a certain other sequel in the Monkey Island series. I'm at a place where I'd be happy to say that it would have continued marvelously, rather than see a botched sequel.

This is a terrible attitude. I hope you aren't like this about everything. For example, I like to make cheesecakes. I did my fourth one for New Year's, a layered one that was half blueberry, and it was absolutely amazing. I'm not about to swear off making cheesecake now for fear that the next one isn't going to come out as good. I'm going to take what I learned and make one that's even better.

I suppose what I mean to say is that Telltale has now proven not only that they can make exceptional games, but that they can do it consistently. I firmly believe that if they couldn't make another Monkey Island and have it live up to Tales, they wouldn't make another Monkey Island.

• I understand what Rather Dashing is saying. I feel some people just don't know when to stop, it's mostly obvious with series, be it series of books, of movies, or TV shows. They just keep going and it sucks more and more until it's canceled, and instead of having good memories of it all, you keep thinking about the bad ones and how they ruined the whole thing.

But Tales was just the first season, the way I see it. The first season of a new series. I don't think the second one will already be going downhill.

• Well, I can agree with that. I'm living in denial that Scrubs has more than 8 seasons. But like you said, that's because in my eyes, it was finished at the end of season 8. The last episode of the season was even called "My Finale". That's where it should've ended, and to me that's where it did end.

And unlike Scrubs, Monkey Island absolutely does not feel finished, as long as Telltale manages to come up with a worthwhile idea for a game.

And if LucasArts should ever follow the example Scrubs set and make a Monkey Island game that's entirely about Pegnose Pete or something and sucks out of control, I'll treat it the same way I treat Scrubs: I'll pretend Tales was the last game in the series and won't go anywhere near The Adventures of Pegnose Pete.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Well, I can agree with that. I'm living in denial that Scrubs has more than 8 seasons. But like you said, that's because in my eyes, it was finished at the end of season 8. The last episode of the season was even called "My Finale". That's where it should've ended, and to me that's where it did end.

That's good, but what about all the series where they put a cliffhanger at the end of each season, and it gradually went from great to okay to bad to worse, and you can't just take part of it and say "that's where it ended"? Not to mention the okay seasons might have one great episode, and the bad seasons some great lines.

I had an idea at some point, of a site-based DVD that you'd make yourself. You'd choose which episodes to put on there and stuff like that, and pay a rate per DVD and per episode (with a specific max per DVD). You'd also select which bonuses you want.
    A special feature would allow to select all episodes that are essential to the storyline so you ould do that, then add your favourites that aren't essential. Or you could just make your own "best of" without caring that it's not consistent.

That would definitely make me buy some DVDs that I won't because there are too many terrible episodes in between the good ones.

I wonder if something like that will exist someday.

• Yeah, Scrubs isn't the greatest example in that respect. On the other hand, while I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I can't think of a show I've ever watched that did that. I can think of a few that just ended abruptly, which isn't a great situation either, but that's basically what we're facing if the Monkey Island series ends with Tales. Admittedly, Ghost Pirate Hunter Morgan LeFlay and LeChuck-in-a-jar being in the possession of the Voodoo Lady isn't the biggest cliffhanger ever, it'd still suck to leave it unresolved.

• @GuruGuru214 said: This is a terrible attitude. I hope you aren't like this about everything. For example, I like to make cheesecakes. I did my fourth one for New Year's, a layered one that was half blueberry, and it was absolutely amazing. I'm not about to swear off making cheesecake now for fear that the next one isn't going to come out as good. I'm going to take what I learned and make one that's even better.

This is less like that, though, in my mind. It's more like a situation where I might hypothetically have a favorite cheesecake restaurant, but the staff has changed a couple times since they made their best layered half-blueberry cheesecake. Lately they feel like they've been making cheap knock-offs of that cheesecake I once loved. Worse than that, the place shut down about 10 years ago, and I hear only now that some of the remaining staff created a new cheesecake place somewhere else, 10 years after the last cheesecake I had, which had some particularly nasty details about it. Maybe it was a texture thing or a weird smell, but while overall enjoyable the couple before they went out of business just didn't feel right.

Compound this with the fact that I had other places I liked for other kinds of deserts, with their own unique but just as enjoyable textures and flavors. I've been subsiding off a bunch of small, quaint, and downright homey new desert shops. I'm HAPPY, because while they're not the most popular places across town, they make deserts that are similar to, or beautifully different from, the ones I used to love. Sometimes they even surpass my nostalgic memories of a 10 year-old desert. Do I even want to go back to a desert that pretty much took the path of least resistance toward "Bad" near the end of its days?

Let's say I do visit the place, and I get a satisfying cheesecake. Nothing quite brilliant, like my favorite, but passable, with some really good aspects. Do I just keep coming back to this place? Or is it time to move on to new places? Would I really be crushed if it shut down? I mean, this was a good cheesecake, but am I really going to be coming back and paying them for cheesecake for as long as they may continue to produce them? Should I feel an obligation to do so?

Not COMPLETELY analogous because I already knew Telltale before Tales. But the basic framework is there, as much as it can be worked into deserts. Also, now I'm hungry. Bastard.

I suppose what I mean to say is that Telltale has now proven not only that they can make exceptional games, but that they can do it consistently. I firmly believe that if they couldn't make another Monkey Island and have it live up to Tales, they wouldn't make another Monkey Island.

I wouldn't say Tales is without its annoying faults. Granted, these are far smaller to me than the faults of Escape and Curse are as a whole, but they're glaring enough that I can see both an uphill and a downhill curve for the series, as well as a third, almost worse stagnant road. I'm not sure their storytelling chops are up to it. I mean, YES, brilliantly executed drama-wise, and there was some surprisingly great cinematography. But the actual story WRITING was either filled with some minor but glaring holes, or filled with ingenious story hooks....and some minor but glaring holes. I'm not sure I want to see a game where they just kind of try to forget the ending of the last entry into the series. I don't want to see the result of Ghost Pirate Hunter LeFlay be, well, unsatisfying. In a lot of ways, I expected more from the finale of Tales than was delivered, and I expected less from it. Story was...passable, dramatic execution of story was damn-near brilliant. One cannot supplant the other, though, at least not consistently.

@GuruGuru214 said: That's good, but what about all the series where they put a cliffhanger at the end of each season, and it gradually went from great to okay to bad to worse, and you can't just take part of it and say "that's where it ended"? Not to mention the okay seasons might have one great episode, and the bad seasons some great lines.

I had an idea at some point, of a site-based DVD that you'd make yourself. You'd choose which episodes to put on there and stuff like that, and pay a rate per DVD and per episode (with a specific max per DVD). You'd also select which bonuses you want.
    A special feature would allow to select all episodes that are essential to the storyline so you ould do that, then add your favourites that aren't essential. Or you could just make your own "best of" without caring that it's not consistent.

[QUOTE=avistew;266379]I had an idea at some point, of a site-based DVD that you'd make yourself. You'd choose which episodes to put on there and stuff like that, and pay a rate per DVD and per episode (with a specific max per DVD). You'd also select which bonuses you want.

That would definitely make me buy some DVDs that I won't because there are too many terrible episodes in between the good ones.

I wonder if something like that will exist someday.

Like this?

Add Comment