User Avatar Image

Proper British Grammar, segue to Harry Potter

posted by Philski on - last edited - Viewed by 441 users

* proper British. :p

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Er, no. If he had said "sounded like", then sure "proper British", but otherwise, "sounded properly British" is correct. You need to use an adverb there, not an adjective.

EDIT: here, I'll give a better explanation. Hey, let's say a proper explanation :P.

When you say "it sounds like British" or "it is British", British is a noun, and refers to the language. To qualify a noun you use an adjective, so you say "proper British".
    When you say "it sounds British", however, British is an adjective, and you don't qualify and adjective with another adjective but with an adverb, hence the use of "properly".

• @avistew said: Er, no. If he had said "sounded like", then sure "proper British", but otherwise, "sounded properly British" is correct. You need to use an adverb there, not an adjective.

Ahhhh but you see. this is what a British person would say. "I speak proper British like what the queen does" ;)

• But... You used British as a noun in that sentence, so of course it's "proper"... I fear I might be missing a joke :P
    Brits are so "I tell a joke but I sound 100% serious" sometimes, it can be hard to tell. Plus it's the Internet.

Well, I reckon we should toss this conversation in the bin, and, er... bloody something.
    (I think I have exhausted all of my British vocabulary, sadly).

• I thought reckon was western

• Well they say it a lot in Harry Potter, so...

• Avistew is correct about the properly right way to grammatical of usageness on words.

ha.

---
    EDIT: Which Harry Potter?

This (US): ss-cover-large.jpg or These (UK): harry_potter_and_the_philosophers_stone_z_stone_uk_2reissue04.jpg
    There is a difference.

• I've only read the original ones, although I know the American version is edited to sound less British. Actually, I even have the original book 4 where Harry's parents die in the wrong order and I was all speculating about what that meant when it was just a mistake :S

(I have the children covers, which are the only ones that were sold in France for some reason. However I've been wanting to buy the Canadian pocket version with the adult covers, but then they decided not to publish the last book. Just the first six. Yeah, that makes sense.)

• I wouldn't say the British ones are the "originals," so much as one version is published by Bloomsbury, the other by Scholastic.

I also remember wondering that same thing about Book 4.

• Well she wrote the books in British English and, if I remember from her interviews, then sent it to her editor for the American version, who would go over it and change it to sound more American. So so me it's more of a... localised version, I guess?
    Which I find silly since it takes place in Britain, it seems more normal that they'd speak British anyways. And it's not like it's going to hurt American readers to learn British words and expressions.
    Considering the British version is also the one that was sold in Canada and France (the only other two countries that I've checked) it seems to me that it's the "real" version, and the American one is an adapted version, not quite a translation but not quite the original either.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think a bit part of it is how the first three books were released in British English only, then "converted" and released in the US months later, as a translation. Then it's true that they were released at the same time once the series was really famous, but I'd guess that it was just the British release being delayed until after the American version was ready.

• @Chyron8472 said: I wouldn't say the British ones are the "originals," so much as one version is published by Bloomsbury, the other by Scholastic.

Except the American books aren't the Bloomsbury books sold in America, they're the original Harry Potter books, localized for an American audience. While most of it is minor stuff, and it gets more minor as the series goes on, it's still different.

Also, thanks to the US, everybody gets a "Sorcerer's Stone" movie rather than a Philosopher's Stone movie. Yay Warner Bros.? Doesn't seem quite fair. :P

As far as the actual covers go, I like the American covers the most. I don't like the style of the British "normal/child" covers, maybe they're just too bright or something? By contrast, the "adult" covers are just...bland. At least throw some style into it, like Germany did. :P

I propose a solution for the "childish book cover" problem.

Add Comment