User Avatar Image

The Next Chapter of TMI???

posted by Mardagan on - last edited - Viewed by 466 users

Can we get any hints about the possible goings on for the next installment of TMI???

The Rise of the Pirate God couldn't have been the end all say all.

Mardagan

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Bagge said: The best endings to all works of fiction are the endings that force the reader/viewer/player to think.

And the worst are the ones that make the viewer/gamer go... WHAT THE FUCK?
    Think Indiana Jones IV, LCR, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Fahrenheit.
    Do people remember their "endings" because they were good? No... because they are horrible ways to end something decent (well, excluding Indiana Jones here, the videogames are).
    LCR, KOTOR2 and Fahrenheit are liked DESPITE their endings, not due to their WTF endings.
    How many people would still remember the ending, almost 20 years after the game came out?
    True, a well-done ending would have been forgetten sooner. The only way we still talk about it, more than anything else of MI2 is because it's such a darn let-down that it is hard to forget.
    MI2 reinforced the Monkey Island franchises mysterious and secretive atmosphere
    There was one before MI2? I cannot seem to recall.
    Actually, I cannot recall any of the sort in MI2 either, and the ending doesn't give me "mysterious and secretive" more than, well... WTF?
    which has fuelled discussions and debates about the game for many, many years, and I believe has been largely responsible for the loyal MI fanbase that still existed a decade after the last game was relased.
    Have to agree a bit here. For example, KOTOR2 wouldn't have been talked about still if the original wasn't horribly mutilated and defiled. Hmmm, does that ring a bell with MI2's ending?
    There have been several well though-out and sound theories by fans over the years, that are much more interesting and exciting than CMI's "carneval cop-out".
    Name some. Humour me.

• LCR, KOTOR2 and Fahrenheit are liked DESPITE their endings, not due to their WTF endings.

I've lost track how many times I played KOTOR2 cause it's a good game. I hate the anticlimactic ending and start to lose interest when I get to the last planet though.

• I don't think quality would be much of an issue to worry about with telltale. It seems that their work is a labour of love at times. When you see all the extras the sam and max sets came with, and the many little side jokes and things added into TOMI, it makes me think that this company would be far too proud to release a TOMI2 that didn't live up to the first.

One thing though... I don't like endings. I dunno why, I just like to think there's something more. Part of me felt a tad disappointed at the end of Rise of the Pirate God, right up until that very last clip. If they do do a TOMI2, I wouldn't want it to finish off the Monkey Island story. I would want it to leave that last little Monkey Island puzzle that will never be solved, as TOMI did.

• @Hassat Hunter said: And the worst are the ones that make the viewer/gamer go... WHAT THE FUCK?
    Think Indiana Jones IV, LCR, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Fahrenheit.
    Do people remember their "endings" because they were good? No... because they are horrible ways to end something decent (well, excluding Indiana Jones here, the videogames are).
    LCR, KOTOR2 and Fahrenheit are liked DESPITE their endings, not due to their WTF endings.

Only people who weren't paying attention to the details could have been completely blindsided by Guybrush and LeChuck emerging as kids in a theme park. Hints that the Monkey Island world was basically a theme park was dropped thoroughout both MI1 and MI2, and everything that happens after Guybrush falls into the corridors below Dinky Island (Disney Land?) is a set-up to the final revelation.

The ending is really no different than, say, the final revelation in The 6th Sense, which also comes as a shock at first, but makes sense when viewed in context.

True, a well-done ending would have been forgetten sooner. The only way we still talk about it, more than anything else of MI2 is because it's such a darn let-down that it is hard to forget.

The ending of MI2 being a huge let-down was never really a widely held opinion until a few years after CMI, when the post CMI fans discovered MI2 and felt cheated because the game didn't end comfortably and light-hearted. For me, the "darn let-down" was the way CMI handled MI2's ending.

There was one before MI2? I cannot seem to recall.
    Remember the titular Secret of Monkey Island?

Actually, I cannot recall any of the sort in MI2 either, and the ending doesn't give me "mysterious and secretive" more than, well... WTF?

Yeah, you keep repeating that you were completely taken amiss by MI2's ending, and that it is "WTF" (not an adjective, by the way). For starters, I don't see the conflict between an ending being surprising and an ending being mysterious. Also, there is no correlation between an ending being surprising or mysterious and and ending being bad.

Have to agree a bit here. For example, KOTOR2 wouldn't have been talked about still if the original wasn't horribly mutilated and defiled. Hmmm, does that ring a bell with MI2's ending?

Hmm, horribly mutilated? Defiled? No, that does definately not ring a bell with MI2's ending. You might be mistaking your own dissapointment over the unconventional twist at the end of MI2 for an ending which is actually badly written.

Name some. Humour me.

Read the thread. I already did.

• @techie775 said: I've lost track how many times I played KOTOR2 cause it's a good game. I hate the anticlimactic ending and start to lose interest when I get to the last planet though.

Have tried the Restoration mod already?
    @techie775 said: Hints that the Monkey Island world was basically a theme park was dropped thoroughout both MI1 and MI2
    Yeah, I must have failed to pay any attention playing, since I recall none of them at all until the end of MI2. So, again, humour me. Tell some.
    Also, I wonder why why you think MI would be all "mysterious and deep" if the story itself made it out it was all a themepark attraction. PoTC doesn't refer to the attraction in any way either, does it?
    The ending is really no different than, say, the final revelation in The 6th Sense, which also comes as a shock at first, but makes sense when viewed in context.
    I looked in context, and... well... found none to be quite frankly. Except maybe Walt the dog, but that's only because it was stolen from PoTC's ride.
    The ending of MI2 being a huge let-down was never really a widely held opinion until a few years after CMI, when the post CMI fans discovered MI2 and felt cheated because the game didn't end comfortably and light-hearted. For me, the "darn let-down" was the way CMI handled MI2's ending.
    Well, I don't know about "widely held" but I already had it when experiencing it, and that was before CMI was released at all...
    Remember the titular Secret of Monkey Island?
    Nope, not like you do apparently. No dark deep plot full of mystery there.
    For starters, I don't see the conflict between an ending being surprising and an ending being mysterious. Also, there is no correlation between an ending being surprising or mysterious and and ending being bad.
    I didn't say "suprising". A surprising ending would be good. I said "WTF". A WTF ending would be bad.
    I would be perfectly fine with an ending being not what I expect, but quality. But not when the ending suddenly totally opposes the good buildup, like yellowish AI thingies (Fahrenheit), a total absent of teammates and not resolving the plot (KOTOR2) or... saying it was all a theme-park, nullifying whatever happened at the plot (MI2). Sure, it's a little more original than 'it was just a dream', but in no regards better than that...
    Read the thread. I already did.
    I read the thread. I even checked all your posts just now you said this. And all I can see are 2 examples; one being Guybrush really is a modern kid (which would TOTALLY suck for MI3) and CMI's storyline. No other examples given.

• @Hassat Hunter said: Yeah, I must have failed to pay any attention playing

Ok
    , since I recall none of them at all until the end of MI2. So, again, humour me. Tell some.
    Also, I wonder why why you think MI would be all "mysterious and deep" if the story itself made it out it was all a themepark attraction. PoTC doesn't refer to the attraction in any way either, does it?

I looked in context, and... well... found none to be quite frankly. Except maybe Walt the dog, but that's only because it was stolen from PoTC's ride.

Off the top of my head, in addition to the obvious Walt (Disney) the dog reference:
    [LIST]
    [*]T-shirt as a prize for finding the treasure
    [*]T-shirt as a prize for defeating the sword master
    [*]There is a vending machine at Stan's place
    [*]"Staff Only"-door on Melee
    [*]Wiener hut on Scabb Island
    [*]The treehouses on Booty Island are nearly identical to the Swiss Family Treehouse in Disneyland
    [*]Big Whoop turns out to be an E-ticket, a ticket that gives entrance to theme parks after hours
    [*]Dinky Island = Disneyland
    [*]Everything that happens after you meet LeChuck at the end of MI2 takes place in theme park maintainance tunnels
    [/LIST]

I didn't say "suprising". A surprising ending would be good. I said "WTF". A WTF ending would be bad.

WTF is still not an adjective, and I think the distinction between a surprising ending and a "WTF ending" is pretty vague, only distinct in your mind because you dislike how MI2 ends. WTF is a pretty common exclamation when you are surprised by something.

I would be perfectly fine with an ending being not what I expect, but quality. But not when the ending suddenly totally opposes the good buildup, like yellowish AI thingies (Fahrenheit), a total absent of teammates and not resolving the plot (KOTOR2) or... saying it was all a theme-park, nullifying whatever happened at the plot (MI2). Sure, it's a little more original than 'it was just a dream', but in no regards better than that...

"Better" is a subjective term. I think the worst possible solution to an interesting and surprising ending like MI2's, was to blow it all off and turn LeChuck into a buffoonish cartoon villain with a theme park. If you take a look around the old Scummbar.com or some of the old Monkey Island forums (or even around here) you'll find tons of interesting theories as to what happens at the end of the game, several of them preferable to CMI's solution.

I read the thread. I even checked all your posts just now you said this. And all I can see are 2 examples; one being Guybrush really is a modern kid (which would TOTALLY suck for MI3) and CMI's storyline. No other examples given.

Here you go.

• I get the feeling that this is all an "in-one-ear-and-out-the-other" thing for you Bagge. Nothing personal, but you're not going to convince any of the rest of us that MI2 had a good ending, as it also seems that we can't convince you that it sucked and that CMI did the best it could to explain it.

edit: Nor will I ever understand why anyone could hate CMI as Rather Dashing does.

• @Chyron8472 said: I get the feeling that this is all an "in-one-ear-and-out-the-other" thing for you Bagge. Nothing personal, but you're not going to convince any of the rest of us that MI2 had a good ending, as it also seems that we can't convince you that it sucked and that CMI did the best it could to explain it.

That makes very little sense. How is my opinion on MI2 any more "in-one-ear-and-out-the-other" than yours or Hassad Hunters?

• @Bagge said: Ok

Off the top of my head, in addition to the obvious Walt (Disney) the dog reference:
    [LIST]
    [*]T-shirt as a prize for finding the treasure
    [*]T-shirt as a prize for defeating the sword master
    [*]There is a vending machine at Stan's place
    [*]"Staff Only"-door on Melee
    [*]Wiener hut on Scabb Island
    [*]The treehouses on Booty Island are nearly identical to the Swiss Family Treehouse in Disneyland
    [*]Big Whoop turns out to be an E-ticket, a ticket that gives entrance to theme parks after hours
    [*]Dinky Island = Disneyland
    [*]Everything that happens after you meet LeChuck at the end of MI2 takes place in theme park maintainance tunnels
    [/LIST]

Here you go.

Ok, I've got some more info about the ending to MI2 from andygeers' video 'The OTHER Secret of Monkey Island' which gives interesting info about what Guybrush's past could be.

:The feather pen you can buy in the shop on booty island when looked at Guybrush says 'That looks just like the one from my parents wedding!' suggests that Guybrush's parents were married after he was born.

:The skeletons of Guybrush's 'parents' may not be Guybrush's blood relation at all. It just prooves that 'Dad' is Lechuck's father, otherwise Largo could be Guybrush's brother, too.

:In the torture chamber, you can ask Lechuck 'where do babies come from' and he will reply 'In your case, the orphanage.' This suggests that maybe Guybrush is an orphan.

: Now, the last idea is that everyone in the monkey island universe is trying to help Guybrush unlock the big secret that his parents were murdered, and that the Vooodoo Lady is like a sort of psyciatrist.

• @OzzieMonkey said: Ok, I've got some more info about the ending to MI2 from andygeers' video 'The OTHER Secret of Monkey Island' which gives interesting info about what Guybrush's past could be.

:The feather pen you can buy in the shop on booty island when looked at Guybrush says 'That looks just like the one from my parents wedding!' suggests that Guybrush's parents were married after he was born.

:The skeletons of Guybrush's 'parents' may not be Guybrush's blood relation at all. It just prooves that 'Dad' is Lechuck's father, otherwise Largo could be Guybrush's brother, too.

:In the torture chamber, you can ask Lechuck 'where do babies come from' and he will reply 'In your case, the orphanage.' This suggests that maybe Guybrush is an orphan.

: Now, the last idea is that everyone in the monkey island universe is trying to help Guybrush unlock the big secret that his parents were murdered, and that the Vooodoo Lady is like a sort of psyciatrist.

See, although I don't neccesarily agree with that theory, this is the sort of cool speculation and theories that MI2 inspires.

Add Comment