User Avatar Image

Flaw in story telling?

posted by ReiKo on - last edited - Viewed by 288 users

Spoiler alert.

Well, it's not much big of a deal but in last TOMI where Guybrush is ghost - he can't pick up anything like cutlass (sword) and etc. but how did he (before coming to Le Chuck's ship) pick up items like anchor and etc.

Flaw in the story?

Thanks.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I love these sorts of discussions. "Don't you get it? The portals take spirit bodies out of the spiritual world and into the physical world but they're still spiritual so cannot pick up things."

It's a game, and a damned fun one at that. The whole of the spiritual world was made up by telltale, and yet when they add in a rule about touching things (probably in order to get a nicer flow to the game) we start questioning the realism?

Now I think back to it, does it really make sense that guybrush cannot pick up stuff, but can stand on a raft and then has to step off it into the water, which he makes a splash entering? Maybe you can argue that it does make sense. I don't really mind. All games basically have to have these sorts of leaps of faith with regards to their rules, because without rules you don't have a game, and with rules, you sacrifice a lot of the realism.

• @doodinthemood said: Now I think back to it, does it really make sense that guybrush cannot pick up stuff, but can stand on a raft and then has to step off it into the water, which he makes a splash entering? Maybe you can argue that it does make sense. I don't really mind. All games basically have to have these sorts of leaps of faith with regards to their rules, because without rules you don't have a game, and with rules, you sacrifice a lot of the realism.

You can stand on things (the ground, or "the floor" even if that's a raft), but also you fall through doors and can't pick things up. Those are kind of classic ghost rules, or at least one commonly used set of rules when dealing with ghosts in fiction, and made me less bothered by the inconsistency.

• The only thing I really wondered about was how he could put the immaterial picture on the material locket.
    But that can be explained with "it's a voodoo locket".

• @doodinthemood said: Now I think back to it, does it really make sense that guybrush cannot pick up stuff, but can stand on a raft and then has to step off it into the water, which he makes a splash entering? Maybe you can argue that it does make sense. I don't really mind. All games basically have to have these sorts of leaps of faith with regards to their rules, because without rules you don't have a game, and with rules, you sacrifice a lot of the realism.

A movie I saw explained it thus: "As you may have noticed, you are only material in one dimension: the horizontal."
    It's not perfect (Guybrush put his head through a chest), but it's one way to think about it.

• @Jake said: You can stand on things (the ground, or "the floor" even if that's a raft), but also you fall through doors and can't pick things up. Those are kind of classic ghost rules, or at least one commonly used set of rules when dealing with ghosts in fiction, and made me less bothered by the inconsistency.

The constant amongst ghost rules is that they tend to float in the world without actually disturbing it. Generally a ghost can, yes, "stand" on a floor. Sometimes they float above it.

But works of fiction are generally internally consistent about whether or not a ghost can "interact" with a world. They are either "not fully there, and unable to interact with physical things, or perfectly capable of tossing around objects and causing a general fuss.

Here, we have two ghosts in the canon(LeChuck and Guybrush). One can interact with the world(punching Guybrush across the map), and another can't. As far as a single episode goes, there's the issue of internal consistency: If Guybrush as a ghost can't interact with physical objects, then he shouldn't make a splash in the water, because he's in the world without really inhabiting space or having actual mass.

• @OzzieMonkey said: I can explain that. It's because everyone else was actually buried, where Guybrush's body was being used as a dart board in CLub 41.

Ya know, they could have at least placed pennies on his eyes when they did that.. It took me 5 minutes to figure that dang Grog machine out.

• @avistew said: The only thing I really wondered about was how he could put the immaterial picture on the material locket.
    But that can be explained with "it's a voodoo locket".

So... Why was Guybrush unable to touch the button on it?

...OKAY, STOP BOOING ME PEOPLE.

• @OzzieMonkey said: I can explain that. It's because everyone else was actually buried, where Guybrush's body was being used as a dart board in CLub 41.

... How does that make sense?

Add Comment