User Avatar Image

Monkey Island 2 Remake maybe revealed at GDC!!

posted by hitmarty on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

The first word on Monkey Island 2: The Special Edition has emerged from the muddy swamps. We don’t usually report rumors, but we can report reporting on rumors. From Kotaku:

We’ve heard from sources that the game is due to be announced very soon, perhaps even next week at the Game Developer’s Conference, and that like the first game’s special edition, will contain all-new graphics and audio.

Unlike the first game, however, this one will be reaching a few more consumers, with versions planned for not just the Xbox 360, PC ad iPhone (like Monkey Island), but the PlayStation Network as well.

quoted from the scummbar!

144 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sailorcuteness said: I think partick could be rapp skallon

You've got to be joking. That's an abomination! I reckon a dumb-sounding, well-loved comedian should play Rapp, in a similar way to the persona Wally Wingert played Herman Toothrot in Escape (but obviously without the toothless old hermit bit). I hope you know what I mean.

• @Laserschwert said: MI2... does LeChuck have more lines than in MI1?

A lot more. In MI1, you have the brief cutscenes plus the few lines that he can utter while Guybrush is in his quarters (and ofc the few he had at the end). In MI2, you have the cutscenes, then quite a few in chapter 3 and a lot in the showdown.

• @tbm1986 said: You've got to be joking. That's an abomination! I reckon a dumb-sounding, well-loved comedian should play Rapp, in a similar way to the persona Wally Wingert played Herman Toothrot in Escape (but obviously without the toothless old hermit bit). I hope you know what I mean.

I just said him cos hes bald

• @metroidreborn said: In regards to LeChuck, I hope Earl Boen does the voice again as he has done it long enough to really know just what feeling to convey through the character and his voice matches perfectly. The only thing that worries me is that while Earl Boen is the best for this job, the Special Edition for the first one made it seem like he was sort of out of it. What I mean is that the parts where LeChuck was meant to be shocked, angered, ect. seemed to be toned down a lot and held back. He said many of the lines too casually to actually give off a feeling of anger or shock.

I felt this way for most of the voice acting in this particular game (SoMISE) as it made it very apparent that they were reading off a script, may have just been me though. Earl Boen however, along with all the other voice actors, was flawless in Tales, especially the last chapter. The voice actors always do a good job, but for the special edition for secret, it just didn't seem as great as it usually is.

You're by no means the only one. The voice acting in SMI:SE was flat a pancake. Whether that was due to lacklustre effort from all the voice actors or bad voice directing remains to be seen, but I'm willing to bet the latter.

• I'd say it's a combination of poor directing and the fact that the lines had to match the speed of the subtitles. Even if you speed them up, they're gonnan sound a little weird.

• @tbm1986 said: You're by no means the only one. The voice acting in SMI:SE was flat a pancake. Whether that was due to lacklustre effort from all the voice actors or bad voice directing remains to be seen, but I'm willing to bet the latter.

I think it's a good deal more likely that the script itself doesn't lend itself as well to voiced lines as it does to being read. The lines were written, at the time, with the intention of being read in colored words on screen, rather than heard by people who actually speak.

So basically we have, for one, a system that sees things in terms of sound bites per chunk of text on screen(hence the pauses between sentences being influenced by the speed of the text going by), and we have huge chunks of text to begin with.

• One of the limitations regarding the voice acting was the imposed length of time between lines from the original game. It caused unrealistic gaps in the speech that they probably couldn't do anything about. Other than Guybrush's hair I loved MI:SE.

• @guitarsareboring said: One of the limitations regarding the voice acting was the imposed length of time between lines from the original game. It caused unrealistic gaps in the speech that they probably couldn't do anything about. Other than Guybrush's hair I loved MI:SE.

You can make that go away just by switching back to the original game and speeding up the subtitles with = and - buttons.

• Just read this on LucasArts twitter

"T-minus 2 hours. So much work left to be done..."

well it looks like I won't know till first thing tomorrow morning what their planning as its late here so hope its worth it

• I just had a thought- If MI2SE is going to be released on PSN, does that mean that they will use the new motion controller that has just been announced at GDC? And will it just be PS3 PSN or for the PSP as well?

Add Comment