User Avatar Image

Devil's Playhouse Narrator Appreciation Thread

posted by Hero1 on - last edited - Viewed by 407 users

How good is the narrator that we see in The Devil's Playhouse trailer? The choice of the voice actor, and his voice acting is superb!

I bow down to his delivery of "Beyond the limits of human comprehension" :)

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • He's based on the Twilight Zone host Rod Serling, right?

  • I find him a bit hard to understand, but that's what subtitles are for!

  • @tredlow said: He's based on the Twilight Zone host Rod Sterling, right?


    He doesn't SOUND like him, though. Like, at all. There's starry sky that I'm sure someone took GREAT pains to make sure looked like the Twilight Zone one, and the Night Gallery-like picture frames seem to indicate a Serling-like feeling that we're supposed to get from him, as an Omnipotent Narrator of bizarre events.

    I think they're going for light homage, but not full-on parody/copy with the narrator.

  • @Rather Dashing said: He doesn't SOUND like him, though. Like, at all. There's starry sky that I'm sure someone took GREAT pains to make sure looked like the Twilight Zone one, and the Night Gallery-like picture frames seem to indicate a Serling-like feeling that we're supposed to get from him, as an Omnipotent Narrator of bizarre events.

    I think they're going for light homage, but not full-on parody/copy with the narrator.

    Well, the black-and-white, being-in-the-same-room-as-the-characters-but-not-part-of-the-story kinda deal reminds me of him.

    Then again, I watch very little Twilight Zone.

  • For the curious, the Narrator is played by one Andrew Chaikin, aka Kid Beyond.

  • @tredlow said: Well, the black-and-white, being-in-the-same-room-as-the-characters-but-not-part-of-the-story kinda deal reminds me of him.

    Then again, I watch very little Twilight Zone.


    Oh, the overall ambiance is very much an homage to Serling's works. But the narrator himself really seems to be doing his own thing, rather than imitating Serling.

  • @Will said: For the curious, the Narrator is played by one Andrew Chaikin, aka Kid Beyond.

    aka Max in the first episode of the first season.

    Oh, crap. And I misspelled Serling.

  • @Rather Dashing said: He doesn't SOUND like him, though. Like, at all. There's starry sky that I'm sure someone took GREAT pains to make sure looked like the Twilight Zone one, and the Night Gallery-like picture frames seem to indicate a Serling-like feeling that we're supposed to get from him, as an Omnipotent Narrator of bizarre events.

    I think they're going for light homage, but not full-on parody/copy with the narrator.

    Doesn't sound like him, but it's definitely Serling's style of introduction.

    And with this being "The Devil's Playhouse" (and supposedly the narrator being in a playhouse of sorts, at least I think), I'd say it's a definite play on Serling's Night Gallery which brought viewers in to a gallery after hours for a private showing.

    So yeah, it's a big homage to Serling, with Jared Emerson-Johnson heavily referencing Dr. Who's theme.

    And this is really stretching it, but given the portliness of the character, you just barely might be able to connect a very small thread to Hitchcock (who Serling drew inspiration from) as well.

    So, really, it's a great mish-mash of the horror/scifi from the 50s/60s/70s.

    Look forward to seeing more.

  • @Will said: For the curious, the Narrator is played by one Andrew Chaikin, aka Kid Beyond.

    ...Coronoda DeCava?

    "Hold on to your pantalones!" = "In allll the universe..."?

    Wow. Just...Wow. I never would have thought it.

  • @JJoyce said: Doesn't sound like him, but it's definitely Serling's style of introduction.


    Of course. Also, the The Devil's Playhouse logo looks a lot like the Twilight Zone logo.

Add Comment