User Avatar Image

17$ shipping for Europe is crazy

posted by viper1701 on - last edited - Viewed by 866 users

Hi Telltale,

I'm an old customer who bought almost every single game since you started...

However I must say I'm very disappointed with the shipping cost for one freaking DVD sent to Europe (France in my case)

17$ for one DVD ? really ?

For comparison Amazon is charging 6$ for a dvd and very little more if you add one or two more.

I mean USPS is not even that good, it took weeks to receive Wallace & Gromit.

I'm sure there are less expensive shipping method, specially for telltale customers who receive this DVD as a "gift" and who probably don't mind waiting for a few weeks to receive their games (considering they can always download the digital version).

I hope you will be able to change this because this 17$ fee is really transforming the gift into a curse...

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yes, ttg is very aware of shipping charges. Falanca is correct, there are contracts with the current distributor. We're looking into many different options but that takes some time. And, moving from one distributor to the next takes a whole lot of money. Moving inventory around is painful and costly. One option to consider is having a European distributor but I can't say that's in the works yet but certainly being thought about. The bug is in the ear of decision makers over here.

USPS IS the shipper of choice with our current distributor. Unfortunately, we don't get a whole lot of say in what shipping prices are and we only push back the shipping costs back to customers, we do not profit in shipping costs. Our profits are in selling more games and gear.

To make a long story short, we here at ttg hear you loud and clear about shipping prices being too high. All I can say is we are working on it.

Cheers,
    bonnie

• THANK YOU! Finally a thorough statement.

Now I can go and buy stuff for more than 50 bucks :D

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

USPS is the United States Postal Service and is the cheapest international shipping option (from the USA).
    As my family lives in Belgium, I tried to see how much shipping would cost if I lived in San Rafael (like Telltale) and shipped a package to my brother in Brussels.
    The cheapest UPS option (if the package is dropped off at a UPS shipping center and packed in a flat rate UPS envelope) comes to $69.34.
    The cheapest FedEx option (if the package is dropped off at a FedEx shipping center and packed in a flat rate FedEx envelope) is $48.48 (oddly enough for their Priority service; their Economy service will set you back $69.66).
    As for USPS, their flat-rate Priority envelope (or small box) is $13.45 if the package is taken to the post office ($12.78 if paid online), whereas using your own envelope would be $7.12 for 1/2 pound.
    UPS and FedEx include a tracking number and the contents are insured (for free) for up to $100.
    No insurance is included with USPS but it might be available for purchase at an additional cost (I'm not positive and can't find it on the USPS website; also, keep in mind that any insurance would let the customs know the value of the contents)
    As for tracking a package shipped via USPS, registered mail will add $11.50 to your total.
    None of these costs include handling.
    Shipping did go up (I live in California and since I moved there in late 2002, stamps have gone up in price 3 times - and had apparently gone up shortly before I moved there) and there's not much that Telltale can do about it, except being their usual awesome selves and offer free shipping over a certain amount.
    Sure some other companies may offer cheaper international shipping, but those companies do a lot more volume (saleswise) than Telltale and can afford to eat part of the shipping costs.
    Plus, Telltale is so nice that they give you easy ways to reach $50 (Monkey Island swag, Sam & Max Season 3).
    So, of course I wish shipping were cheaper but, I am sure, so does Telltale! ;)

• This is not directed at telltale at all, but I feel like ranting.
    I used to live in France. I ordered stuff from the US and it cost a lot to ship. I ordered stuff from Europe and it didn't cost much to ship.
    I moved to Canada.
    If I order stuff from the US it costs exactly the same to ship as it does to ship to France.
    If I order stuff from Europe it costs much more to ship than it did when I lived in France.

I thought "okay, I'm moving to Canada, I won't need to spend much on shipping from the US". Think again. It didn't change anything. There are even times when it costs more for some reason.

It's annoying.
    [/rant]

• @bonnie said: Yes, ttg is very aware of shipping charges. Falanca is correct, there are contracts with the current distributor. We're looking into many different options but that takes some time. And, moving from one distributor to the next takes a whole lot of money. Moving inventory around is painful and costly. One option to consider is having a European distributor but I can't say that's in the works yet but certainly being thought about. The bug is in the ear of decision makers over here.

USPS IS the shipper of choice with our current distributor. Unfortunately, we don't get a whole lot of say in what shipping prices are and we only push back the shipping costs back to customers, we do not profit in shipping costs. Our profits are in selling more games and gear.

To make a long story short, we here at ttg hear you loud and clear about shipping prices being too high. All I can say is we are working on it.

Cheers,
    bonnie

So basically... that's what I said in http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270815&postcount=182

• @bonnie said: To make a long story short, we here at ttg hear you loud and clear about shipping prices being too high. All I can say is we are working on it.

Bonnie, thanx for your answer.

I hope TellTale will be able to find a solution to satisfy his European (and apparently Canadian) customers.

In the the meantime I will continue to buy everything you produce like I always did.

Amitiés,

Romain

• I agree, I'm appalled at this new shipping rate. They want to charge me $18US to ship to Australia.. I've ordered both seasons of Sam & Max, Wallace & Gromit, Strong Bad and each time the postage was only a few $.

I order games from so many overseas sites and the most I have ever been charged is only $4.95 for postage where do they get off charging $18!

From what I understand it's because of USPS or w/e service they are using but thats just BS prices... I can send stuff to America, England, France with the weight of 300g for $4.15AU.. 1/5 of their asking price.. They cant say it costs 5 times more to go the other way. For $18 I would expect it to be flown into Australia and hand delivered to me by the postal company.

• Yup 1st class mail $9 how can they justify $18... its absurd..

• Tracking, insurrance, handling etc.
    Stuff adds up. But then again; I too am going to profit from free shipping.

And accusing TTG uses this to make us "buy swag" is nonsense. What profit do they have from that if they have to pay the $18,- shipping costs then themselves? Well? They might as well just give it away free (and in a way, they do)...

Add Comment