User Avatar Image

Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse Preorder & Trailer! - The Penal Zone lands April 15

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

DevilsPlayhouse.jpg

Whoa the game's announced! Starting a new thread here to talk about the trailer and whatever else, since the old one was full of leaks and holes.

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

Trailer and stuff on the official site

Here's the official spiel: "The new season Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse is the biggest, strangest and most epic to date. As the saga begins, an otherworldy power for controlling matter and space calls to the strongest and strangest who might wield it - intergalactic warlords and eldritch gods, under-dwellers and scholars of the arcane.

Gaming's greatest dog and rabbit sleuths Sam & Max seek the power's ancient secrets, as Max gains shape shifting, teleportation, mind reading and future vision abilities for battling these foes. The saga plays out in a surreal 5 month-long symphony of mayhem that gets deeper and more twisted with each episode."

So how are you guys doing?

350 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Remolay said: look under the confirmation of order, everything should be there.

Thanks, didn't actually know it would be at the bottom of the e-mail! :p

• Okay, i failed and couldn't resist the giantbomb video interview anymore.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-sam-max-the-devils-playhouse/17-2141/

After watching it, dunno, i'm not impressed by the graphics at all. At least in the video the colours looked pretty awful, the lighting wasn't this convincing as well. The shadows add nothing special to the atmosphere so far, beside of this they seemed pretty lowres and too hard. I kind of liked the blob shadows they used before. The perspectives also didn't add additional value to me. Quite the opposite was the case as i found them more confusing, so i'm still favouring point&click instead, no fan of these pseudo spectacular MTV angles.

I hope that this look is more due to the low quality of video and/or that the final tuning is still missing.

Does anyone know what the official technical enhancements are, for example did they increase the model complexity/texture resolution as well?

If technology and art come together, fine, but proper art still beats advanced technology if it't used wisely, moreover it runs on a wider range of machines.

• @taumel said:
    I hope that this look is more due to the low quality of video and/or that the final tuning is still missing.

Well, someone from TTTeam that worked on S&M did say that the demo was an early build of th game.

As far a technical achievements? The game looks more cinematic, possible thanks to it coming after ToMI which had a very cinematic framing of just about everything.

• @taumel said: Okay, i failed and couldn't resist the giantbomb video interview anymore.

Me too _ _!

@taumel said: After watching it, dunno, i'm not impressed by the graphics at all. At least in the video the colours looked pretty awful, the lighting wasn't this convincing as well. The shadows add nothing special to the atmosphere so far, beside of this they seemed pretty lowres and too hard. I kind of liked the blob shadows they used before.

To be fair, me neither. But I love the atmosphere somehow. I mean, I don't look at the actual "improvements", just to the result overall. I liked What I see, but nothing like "Whoa". Which I think is ok, because the WHOA part has to be of the complete product

@taumel said: The perspectives also didn't add additional value to me. Quite the opposite was the case as i found them more confusing, so i'm still favouring point&click instead, no fan of these pseudo spectacular MTV angles.

The angles are a bit confusing to me too, but at least I get to see someparts of the street I didn't see before. It's like this is now a Film Scenery instead of a Play's one. But I'm still wonder how you can play at the second floor in Skunka pe's Ship without WASD

@taumel said: Does anyone know what the official technical enhancements are, for example did they increase the model complexity/texture resolution as well?

I don't know, but Max looks a lot more expressive compared to the First and Second Season.

@taumel said: If technology and art come together, fine, but proper art still beats advanced technology if it't used wisely, moreover it runs on a wider range of machines.

Telltale still wants to do the best and prettiest game they can in commercial Machines instead of "Gamer" ones, if you didn't notice. It has to be a bit new though.

• Well, let's just wait and see how the final product looks like but new isn't automatically good, it also has to be done well. Just thinking of the new Ubisoft DRM for instance.

• @taumel said: Well, let's just wait and see how the final product looks like but new isn't automatically good, it also has to be done well. Just thinking of the new Ubisoft DRM for instance.

I was talking about the computers needed to run the games has to be a bit new if they are average. But I understand what are you saying.

I was just surprised in how many things were agree, but at the same time disagree.

• @GinnyN
    This sounds like an interesting relationship. ;O)

• Watch out, she bites! (Lagomorph and all)

• @Hassat Hunter said: Watch out, she bites! (Lagomorph and all)

Unless you read my user manual.

Oh wait

• @Hassat Hunter
    Luckily my english is bad enough so that i have no idea what kind of dangeresque might lie ahead.

Now please excuse, i have something to read.

This discussion has been closed.